Golf R gremlins

mahalo

Hi Kenny, no, you don't need to remove the seat. Put it up to its highest height and when you look underneath the base you will see a white plastic assembly with a single connector on it that you disconnect. There are two tabs on either side that you push in and that will allow you to push the sensor upwards and outwards from the frame.

Our second serious gremlin struck today. The front radar sensor decided to have a wobbly. ACC consequently disabled. As it happens we were on our way to the dealer to collect my Audi (£500!) after a major service. So Mrs A drops me off and goes on to the VW garage next door. Naturally when the tech looked the fault had cleared. "they all do that". Thanks to VWROC Mrs A insisted fault was recorded. Diagnostic scan next week on our 2 year and 10 month old car while they fit the revised heat shield. Will report back.

Weather - biblical rain, might be a factor.

3 hours ago, Dannybear83 said:

Get your extended warranty ready… This is awful from VW… £4K for to repair the screen 

From reading it, it sounds like a miscommunication in her part, and lack of listening on the dealer’s part.

Here is what I got:

She called to report an issue, and the service person just clicked her number and said “you have a recall” probably referring to the heat shield of something.

She thought they meant a recall for her issue, but they probably never noticed her stating the issue out of lack of interest and being focused on clicking the number (and if the recording didn’t convince them, maybe she was unclear, or went along with the recall conversation, not realizing she is not talking about her issue anymore).

When the service person said “covered by warranty” they were talking about the recall, but she was in her head thinking about the issue, and connected the two.

Communication is a fickle business

Most people fail at it and hear only themselves

And who records phone calls ?

On the topic of miscommunication, hence why I'm posting in this channel rather than the Service thread, today my car went in for the heat shield recall.

Drop the car off and I get a call from the dealer explaining that my car is due for service in 21 days and asking if I wanted it done today. I must admit that i forgot to mention the car is showing it needed  a service after only 7500 miles since the last one performed in June 23, so I explained this and said there must be a mistake.

It wasn't serviced was the reply.... according to their records, they only carried out a brake fluid change and I still had credit on my service plan for the 2nd service.

I still have the email booking i made, clearly showing showing I booked a service and BFC. However, upon checking the related invoice, it doesn't mention the service at all.

I'm annoyed with myself because I always get my car serviced every year regardless.

This  got me wondering whether this might have been a case whereby the dealer spotted my request wasnt in line with the long life service schedule, but simply failed to teĺl me.

But Ive just checked the App and noticed my next Oil service is due in 9400 miles / 365 days - not 19,000 miles / 2 years. I just cant work it out. 

And therein lies the problem..... absolutely nothing is straightforward with VW nowadays!!

Do you not have the invoice for your last service ?

If you do, it should say the mileage and date, so if it’s been 9000 miles or one year, just get it serviced and know that it is good.

I did my first service after 8 months, you know, first service extra wear in run in and so on, so now I have to book it for service next month although the car has less than 10k in total 🙂

May as well have it scanned for errors, so they can clear them, and register it (in case something pops up after warranty is gone).

1 hour ago, Scudgie said:

On the topic of miscommunication, hence why I'm posting in this channel rather than the Service thread, today my car went in for the heat shield recall.

Drop the car off and I get a call from the dealer explaining that my car is due for service in 21 days and asking if I wanted it done today. I must admit that i forgot to mention the car is showing it needed  a service after only 7500 miles since the last one performed in June 23, so I explained this and said there must be a mistake.

It wasn't serviced was the reply.... according to their records, they only carried out a brake fluid change and I still had credit on my service plan for the 2nd service.

I still have the email booking i made, clearly showing showing I booked a service and BFC. However, upon checking the related invoice, it doesn't mention the service at all.

I'm annoyed with myself because I always get my car serviced every year regardless.

This  got me wondering whether this might have been a case whereby the dealer spotted my request wasnt in line with the long life service schedule, but simply failed to teĺl me.

But Ive just checked the App and noticed my next Oil service is due in 9400 miles / 365 days - not 19,000 miles / 2 years. I just cant work it out. 

And therein lies the problem..... absolutely nothing is straightforward with VW nowadays!!

John the same thing happened to me last year.  My car was booked in for the following:

- second service (under Service Plan)

- brake fluid change

- to have damaged puddle light replaced

- to have warning errors looked at.  
- 4WD oil service - the dealership has mistakenly advised me that that the 4WD oil service was due at 2 years (transpires it’s due at 4 years) so that was done too.

Whilst the car was in they phoned me to warn me of the price of the 4WD oil change that was in progress of it being a whopping £375.  I questioned this and decided to phone round other dealerships only to find out that the 4WD service was not due till year 4 and it should be around £259.  Many phone calls to the dealerships service manager ensued and the upshot was they’d done it but would not charge me, and that it wouldn’t be due fir another 4 years, so at year 6 rather than year 4.  

Anyway after an afternoon of this 4WD oil service back and forth debacle, and a ton of phone calls, they phoned me to say everything was done and my car was ready to collect at 5pm. I collected the car and had a lengthy discussion with the service manger and him being most apologetic over the 4WD mistake and finally brought the car home.  The next day I was filing away the paperwork and looked over the invoice (didn’t get chance the day before or whilst in the dealership) which listed all the above - BFC, puddle light, 4WD oil service, warning error diagnostics - BUT there was no item listed for the actual second service.  I rang the dealership that same day and spoke to the service manager and asked him to check if the second service had actually been carried out. He came back and to his embarrassment and my bemusement, said no, they’d forgotten to do it!   They’d done all the other stuff but hadn’t actually done the second service oil change etc.  Incredible.  The temptation to haul them over the coals especially after the 4WD oil change error was great, but in the end I just decided to be calm and told them to book it in asap and do it. So the car went in a few days later and they did the second service.   Now in my case it was carried out only a few days later than it had been originally booked in for, so I didn’t see much point in getting worked up over it.  But if it had come to light months later I doubt I’d have taken it quite so calmly. 

Mad!  

The lack of professionalism in dealerships is endless

Heard of similar occurrences around her

The bigger the shop the more s#it like that happens

I use a relatively small semi-Indi shop that I’ve known for 14 years

(Certified VW shop, but not dealership. They don’t sell cars)
No mechanogenius or anything but kind and honest and friendly

My dealership is only part of a very small local group, not one of the big franchises. I’ve used them for servicing for 20 years and this is the first time they’ve messed up so whilst it’s annoying and poor service, it doesn’t cancel out the otherwise great service I’ve had over the many years.  Not their finest hour but we all make mistakes and at least they didn’t he’d it and held their hands up.  

On both my 1st year and 2nd year service I was told that I didn't have a Service Plan when I had definitely purchased one!!

My local dealer is not my purchase dealer and when I took it for its first service at my local dealer (1 year old) I was informed by them that there was no record of a Service Plan on my vehicle.

After many calls to the purchase dealer, they finally admitted that there had been a problem registering the Service Plan when I purchased the vehicle and informed me that they would cover the cost with the local dealer. They assured me that this had now been sorted and next year it would show up as having a service plan.

Fast forward 1 year (2nd service, 2 years old) and guess what....local dealer - you don't have a Service Plan sir.

This time it got worse, as when I phoned the purchase dealer again they swore blind that I never purchased the Service Plan in the first place!!!

Thankfully I found the purchase invoice which clearly stated that I had purchased it (well paid for it anyway) and they ate humble pie and again paid my local dealer for the 2nd service.

Anyway, just another update on my car.

Took it to local dealers today.

They informed me that they scanned the car and could see the numerous Emergency/Travel Assist errors that had occurred again but there wasn't any "live" fault codes.

They also stated that there was no historic errors reported from the steering wheel this time, but... they found that a module that is in the roof "shark's fin" aerial apparently had no "coding" ie no config??? (god knows what that does then as everything was working correctly, ie gps, fm, dab as far as I was aware?!)

Apparently this module is on the same data bus as the Emergency/Travel Assist system's and they say that this module not having any "coding" would have thrown up errors which would have resulted in the Emergency/Travel Assist errors.

Funny thing is that I remembered something about this being replaced (amongst the numerous other things over the years) but it wasn't as a result of something that I reported.

The dealer "head of business", who was dealing with me, checked back though their records and found that it was changed in August last year but he cant say why!!??

I asked him if this is now the cause of the errors, why didn't the errors start in August after this module was changed, and why did they just start again recently after the sub zero temps (which was the same as the first time), to which he could not give an answer.

He also could not give an answer as to why a module would just suddenly "lose its coding" if this has indeed just occurred recently.

They have now apparently correctly coded the module and they also carried out that latest safety recall.

So.........who knows, I am sceptical to say the least, but lets see, but it could be that the steering wheel is not faulty again this time as it would seem that numerous problems can cause these same errors. 

Oh, and another thing he stated to me is, categorically, any problem which is reported to them before the warranty expires will be covered regardless of when the work is actually carried out AS LONG as the dealer logs it when you report it!!!!

If they don't log it when you report it and then they try and log it when the work is carried out after the warranty expiration, VW will obviously reject it.

Now..... what happens if a re-occurring fault rears its ugly head again (any thing that has been previously addressed by the dealer) after the warranty has expired is another matter and down to VW "good will", of which I wouldn't hold my breath personally, but he informed me that VW would normally look at it "very sympathetically", which would result in the customer paying a "small amount" towards the work and VW and the dealer covering the majority of the cost, but then he would say that!

I'm seriously peeved with myself for not realising it hadn't been serviced and I hope it doesn't come back to haunt me if I decide to sell it. Fingers 🤞 

Looking through my paperwork this evening; the car was with the dealer no less than 4 occasions around that time - 3 visits to deal with faults.

I remember there was  an issue with my glovebox rattling,  diagnosed in 2022 and replacement parts put on back order. Then the dealer tells me they couldn't locate that back order. Got it sorted in the end but it was a right faff.

Hardly surprising  I missed their failure to service the car. Just cant trust them. 

If I’m unsure I text the manager (we’re on WhatsApp terms) and I do trust him.

It is a small-ish shop, certifies by VW, Seat and Skoda, no showroom and no other branches.
So it is less fancy and more ‘cozy’ quite friendly.

(pictures are not related to this post or it’s author, and are just for illustration)

IMG_9257.jpeg

IMG_9260.jpeg

I’m pretty sure it is more about insurance than actual law.

It makes sense to keep separation but creates a problem on the other hand, if you have no validation or control.

I’m sure many enjoy the fact no one is watching over them.

Some shops I know put up a huge window, so people can view their cars being worked on, from the safety of the waiting room.

I mean, why shouldn’t you have the right to view work you pay to get done being done on your property ?!

Trust is earned, not given.