Golf R gremlins

mahalo

58 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Update: On Nr2; Tapping noise on rear axle curbside, "resolved" they said it was due to a piece of trim. (will question further when i collect) On Nr1; So I swapped my wheels out for original set up to go to back to garage, seeing that last time back in October they were not willing to investigate the issue saying they had rule out it wasn't the wheels. They have now confirmed that they are going to have to replace the steering rack! 😠

Glad one thing is sorted, but frustrating to go to the trouble of swapping the wheels only to find out that it’s the steering rack.  But at least both issues have been identified and a solution for them.  

4 minutes ago, McDoogle said:

So some progress with my gremlins at least. For the climate control settings not working, they are placing the infotainment entirely! The flickering reversing Camera they are applying an update(I imagine to the new info) and for the keyless entry, they are replacing both front door handles! 

And here was me thinking it was just a load of software updates needed 😅 glad I found the rattle on my own now.

I'd like to say at least they fixed the puncture but the tire machine has broken down too 😂

Guess we can’t blame everything on sketchy software.  😄

Hopefully once they replaced all the necessary items you’ll have a gremlin free car…..of there is such a thing!  😂

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Glad one thing is sorted, but frustrating to go to the trouble of swapping the wheels only to find out that it’s the steering rack.  But at least both issues have been identified and a solution for them.  

Indeed, frustrating and time wasting, only postponing the inevitable. But I have to say what angers me the most is the lack of duty of care, from a safety aspect. 

I understand there are processes to follow and sometimes things can fail prematurely. But f**k me the car is a year and half old and it was only a year old when I questioned it. 

I just hope they put it all back as it should be and I can draw a line under it. 

I think updating from 1896 to 1941 may have triggered an issue.

After 19 months with 2-3 bongs only (except for the 4-5 reboot cycling events),

I got updated to 1941 and now had 3 times bonged in the past month.

Thankfully their are non insistent ones going on and off, first two went away after some driving, and the last one I got today (see pic) just stayed until I turned the engine off and back on again (traffic during a red light) and it disappeared.

IMG_1838.thumb.jpeg.e19a372ae285863ca944c682f81e3a1c.jpeg

I was thinking about the KLR module, since I really don’t want anyone talking my steering wheel apart and moving its parts to another wheel, and sticking that Lego project back on my car (I still think it is a software repairable issue).

While thinking about it, I pulled on the airbag hub to see if comes off (forgot there are 3 hooks) and as I was pulling on it, the car bonged and said Maneuver braking is unavailable but it disappeared instantly.

So, should I wait a month to gather more bongs and get near the end of my warranty, and try to get a new steering wheel before it ends ?
or just get the KLR module for 250$ and man-up to do the swap ? 

Even though the 1941 is much more responsive and the screen works faster, I do miss my old and trusty 1896 … maybe 1969 will help me, if they will do it.

5 hours ago, Booth11 said:

I’d like to report that for the last 6 months I have had zero gremlins which is worth a post in itself.  🥳

Is that 6 months with a new wheel ?

1 hour ago, AHG said:

Is that 6 months with a new wheel ?

It’s 8 months with a new steering wheel and if it hadn’t been for the infotainment auto reboot issue that still persisted after the steering wheel was replaced, then it would be 8 months error free.  But it was the update to 1941 a couple months later that put an end to the reboot issue and since then I’ve had no gremlins at all.  

Ironically it was the 1896 software that was the most unstable for me. 

6 minutes ago, PrettyVacant said:

Very good news unfortunately since I had car serviced I’ve gone the other way with relentless bongs.

That’s not good news.  Did they do any updates at the service?  Have you had a replacement steering wheel? 

12 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

That’s not good news.  Did they do any updates at the service?  Have you had a replacement steering wheel? 

No updates or new steering wheel. I’ve been lucky and previously been relatively bong free the fact it happened just after the service could be coincidental, last week the bongs were relentless but this week I’ve driven over 300 miles with very few bongs.

7 hours ago, PrettyVacant said:

Very good news unfortunately since I had car serviced I’ve gone the other way with relentless bongs. 

the fact it happened just after the service could be coincidental, 

Updated software ?

I’m also looking into it

I do think 1941 makes everything faster but more sensitive

I use my voice activation button to work Siri (long soft press) and since the 1941 upgrade I find it more challenging to press softly enough as to avoid pressing deep for the VW voice activation (which I don’t have).

7 hours ago, Booth11 said:

But it was the update to 1941 a couple months later that put an end to the reboot issue and since then I’ve had no gremlins at all.  

Ironically it was the 1896 software that was the most unstable for me. 

I think they gave me 1941 because of the 4-5 reboots I had, maybe that’s the fix for it.

As per stability, the problem is always SW/HW integration, and since we all have slightly different HW (due to options, RHD/LHD, and procurement) it makes sense that each will have a different “best SW ever” for their car.

I think this is also why some people have great experience with their new steering wheel, and some keep replacing to no avail.

A friend of mine here with a Jan ‘22 car had his steering wheel replaced, and then his paddles stopped working, and had to be replaced as well. As done quickly though (2 weeks, each time) so no biggie. Just scary 🙂

I think I’ll wait until May or early June, then go for a pre-warranty end diagnostics and see what’s up.

Did anyone here use the KLR module ?

it does seem like a ‘magic pill’ fix for anyone our of warranty (or that doesn’t want to swap steering wheels).

7 hours ago, PrettyVacant said:

No updates or new steering wheel. I’ve been lucky and previously been relatively bong free the fact it happened just after the service could be coincidental, last week the bongs were relentless but this week I’ve driven over 300 miles with very few bongs.

Hard to know, that’s the problem with these things being so inconsistent.  

What errors are you getting?  

10 minutes ago, AHG said:

I think they gave me 1941 because of the 4-5 reboots I had, maybe that’s the fix for it.

As per stability, the problem is always SW/HW integration, and since we all have slightly different HW (due to options, RHD/LHD, and procurement) it makes sense that each will have a different “best SW ever” for their car.

I think this is also why some people have great experience with their new steering wheel, and some keep replacing to no avail.

A friend of mine here with a Jan ‘22 car had his steering wheel replaced, and then his paddles stopped working, and had to be replaced as well. As done quickly though (2 weeks, each time) so no biggie. Just scary 🙂

I think I’ll wait until May or early June, then go for a pre-warranty end diagnostics and see what’s up.

Did anyone here use the KLR module ?

it does seem like a ‘magic pill’ fix for anyone our of warranty (or that doesn’t want to swap steering wheels).

Yes that’s true - different HW and SW combinations giving different results.  

When is your warranty up?  Yours is 2 year warranty isn’t it?