28 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

I love autohold, I think it’s one of the best aids introduced on the mk7 Golf.  Like @Roni1664 I never touch the parking brake.  I used to occasionally take auto hold off (on mk7) if very fine manoeuvres were needed for challenging parking spots but no need anymore as can predict it well so it’s never been off on the 8R.  

On the subject in question, @mek, I don’t get any lurching when autohold / parking brake releases.

14 hours ago, mek said:

So it's been a while since I've posted to the forum, having taken delivery of my Golf back in May, but I thought it'd be useful to summarise some of the issues I've encountered. Apologies if these have been covered more extensively already on previous pages, I'm still catching up!

• Firstly, in common with a lot of people, I have been hearing the double click from the speaker occasionally (sounds like it's coming from the windscreen and I remember was quite disconcerting the first few times). I've read in a couple of other places that a software update done by the dealer may fix this. Is that true?
  • Similarly, and perhaps related from what I've read, I've had the 'SOS not available' warning come up many times, especially in certain locations (usually more rural). 
  • When I apply the parking brake while in drive (such as in a queue of traffic), the brake does seem to stick when setting off and auto-releasing again. It makes for quite an uncomfortable lurch from a standstill no matter how light I am on the accelerator. Has anyone else experienced this?

Those were just a few of the most obvious that spring to mind. My experience with the car otherwise has been great and I'm definitely glad I bought it.

11 hours ago, Roni1664 said:

Re your third point. Do you not use auto hold? I’ve never physically applied the parking brake whilst driving (do when parking) and not noticed any lurching

I never use the parking brake, i never used in the 7.5R either. In fact because I have never applied the 'handbrake' in the last 4 years on both of my cars, meant that on the odd occasion of using my wifes old car I actually forgot to apply the handbrake and got out the car, only to have to jump back in as it starts to roll down our drive towards the house or out of its parking space at the local leisure centre I use 🙈

Luckily, no crashes or anything happened. 

Agree with Becs that it is a great aid to have on the car. No lurching or anything when setting off either. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Read this topic with interest, so did some Googling and apparently the development team for the Golf Mk8 have been taken into questioning.  I’ve included a picture of them.  

Nope  but an Audi S4 rental car as a replacement is softening the blow slightly... When I saw it pulling into the driveway I said to my wife "ooh it'll need a clean!".. to which my wife said "you are

If I was a car I’d ignore him too tbf.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AHG said:

For me it’s worse when parking on a slope or in high temp.

BTW, we missed two different things here:

1. Auto handbrake:
My handbrake comes on and off automatically (when I go to P or open a door or seat belt) even if auto-hold is turned off (which is usually is in my car).

2. Auto-Hold (the son of the Hill Old, which was great).
The auto-hold function is what keeps the brakes pressed when you stop, without putting it in P or opening a door.

Yes I can appreciate that in your country’s high temperatures it might not be as useful especially if the pads stick.  

As with autohold, auto handbrake is also a revelation from the Mk7.  I’ve not touched a hand brake manually in an R since 2015.  The two combined are just fantastic aids imo. When I was about to move from a 6GTI to a 7R I was very reticent about losing the old ratchet handbrake but that reticence vanished after about 10 mins driving the car out of JCB Medway's car park and has never returned. Some aids I find a pain (I cite Lane Assist, now thankfully under my control on my 8R thanks to OBDeleven) but some are truly great additions.  

But as with most things it’s subjective.  

25 minutes ago, JaseW said:

I never use the parking brake, i never used in the 7.5R either. In fact because I have never applied the 'handbrake' in the last 4 years on both of my cars, meant that on the odd occasion of using my wifes old car I actually forgot to apply the handbrake and got out the car, only to have to jump back in as it starts to roll down our drive towards the house or out of its parking space at the local leisure centre I use 🙈

Luckily, no crashes or anything happened. 

Agree with Becs that it is a great aid to have on the car. No lurching or anything when setting off either. 

Haha, yes I’ve forgotten to put the ratchet handbrake on on other half’s Amarok a few times but he doesn’t need to know that. 🤫 😂 

I agree completely on the electric handbrake
Have it in both our Q3 and S3 and it is great
turning itself off when I drive and on
when a seatbelt is released or a door opens

That is great, and can’t be turned off, BTW.

Auto-Hold isn’t about handbrakes when parking
it’s when coming to a full stop the car stays w/brake
for me it’s annoying to start off a light with a delay
and even more parking at a slope with it jerking
(my home parking is in a bit of a downslope)

eHandbrake - like
Auto-hold - dislike

I can understand why people would like it, though.
Me, I just love the smoothness of the car without it.

—— either way, not a gremlin ——

The auto hold on the R works really well to the point I am happy to use it.

I've also noticed the stop start is far better on the R than any previous VAG car. We can restart the engine as the lights start to change with a quick tiny flick of the steering wheel. the throttle progression for pulling away smoothly
(and auto hold disengaging) is also the best we've experienced with DSG.

I don't think we get the double pop but we certainly got a single pop again today. When it happens the globe and the "man in hat" (privacy setting) symbol vanish. Everything else keeps going, no dashboard warnings of any sort, no SOS malfunction, the green light stays on. After maybe 2 minutes the globe re-appears as does the "man in hat" symbol. Globe take a further maybe 30 seconds to connect.

We don't have a cubic data plan as far as I know. Certainly never had a prompt to renew anything. 

The one message in the inbox will not delete even by pressing the delete all button. Other stuff does. It's a bit odd as when you open the message it says update complete but the "normal" green tick is missing from the header.

7 minutes ago, aldfort said:

The auto hold on the R works really well to the point I am happy to use it.

I've also noticed the stop start is far better on the R than any previous VAG car. We can restart the engine as the lights start to change with a quick tiny flick of the steering wheel. the throttle progression for pulling away smoothly
(and auto hold disengaging) is also the best we've experienced with DSG.

Sounds like it is much improved ...
now I'm even more looking fwd to it 🙂

My auto-hold won't disengage with the steering wheel
only with a gas pedal command or sudden brake release

My start/stop turns off the engine
while I'm cruising and slowing down
(not only at a halt)
so if I'm just slowing down
knowing the light is about to change
I get a dead engine right when the light goes green

On 08/04/2021 at 17:48, mahalo said:

Yep I specced Digital Key which means that the car is equipped with NFC so that the Mobile Key can work - I think it also means I get a couple of extra feature on We-Connect. Unfortunately, until VW release support for IOS then this is all useless. 

I have some barely used standard Apple cases such as the leather one and the silicone one but the protection offered by the Tech21 case is in a different league to the standard Apple cases. The VW Qi charger in the Golf R is the only one that exhibits this inability to charge - I have Qi charger in both my BMWs no problem there, Apple Qi chargers no problem plus quite a few other Qi chargers and all work fine with the Tech21 case.

I don't really want to switch to Android as I have mostly Apple tech. Unfortunately you cannot switch off NFC on IOS. 

Hi mate - have you heard anymore on this?  I picked up my car yesterday and specced the digital key.  I have iPhone and can see no way to actually create a mobile key

On 10/09/2021 at 21:32, Darlo said:

Well my car as had a major episode today.

sos warning and double pop on the way in to work in the usual spot. Usually clears on start up…. No such luck today. Sos message still on when I started it up…. Then said loading all the way home with despite a quick restart and holding the on/off button for while to reboot. 

Still showing loading for the remainder of my trip.

luckily it’s in on Monday for bonnet alignment and the sos fix so hopefully will sort it.

had a right shit day at work and was looking forward to some Spotify to perk me up 🤣🤣🤣

On 11/09/2021 at 08:08, Darlo said:

quick update…. Still showing “loading setting” all the way to work. At least I got to enjoy the sound of the car I suppose 🤣

anyway to re-boot it 😫

The same thing happened to me yesterday. I was driving with the Sat Nav on even though I know the route so just for the traffic information. I got the double pop and SOS error message and then the nav went haywire as in it thought I was somewhere else and kept recalculating the route time after time until I stopped  it altogether. When I got to my destination and turned the car off I got the message that I have to sign in again with my S-PIN. Some hours later I made the return journey and got the same loading settings and now a permanent SOS error message for the entire hour long journey home even trying a couple of times to reboot the system. It's been the same today as well.

Darlo I think I remember that our cars were built at a similar time, mine was BW18, and I have (conspiracy) theory that the recent OTA update which I did on Wednesday but did not drive the car again until yesterday was in fact a way of getting people with affected cars to go back to the dealers for a full S/W update. Like many I would get the double pop and sometimes accompanied by the SOS error message but not always and it would clear after restarting the car. The first double pop/SOS error after the OTA update and it's a permanent error advising to go the workshop and partially useless infotainment system which will really make you go to the dealer!

I was actually waiting for more updates/fixes to become available before booking the car into the dealer but I will be calling them first thing on Monday morning now. Talking of which is there a list of available fixes as I would like to try and get as many done at once but I know that sometime dealers won't do them unless the customer has specifically mentioned them. I think I recall there is a wireless charging fix as my iPhone gets hot and barely charges at all. Does anyone know of anything else? Thanks.

5 minutes ago, mactrack said:

I got the double pop and SOS error message and then the nav went haywire as in it thought I was somewhere else and kept recalculating the route time after time until I stopped  it altogether

My car must be really bad as I get this very week or “loading settings”… sometimes holding the SOS button in the roof fixes it after 2mins 

10 minutes ago, Dannybear83 said:

My car must be really bad as I get this very week or “loading settings”… sometimes holding the SOS button in the roof fixes it after 2mins 

I've had the loading settings a couple of times but they have been cleared after a restart but it's now looking like it's permanently happening although I will try your suggestion of holding the SOS button for two minutes to see if anything changes. Thanks.

2 hours ago, mactrack said:

The same thing happened to me yesterday. I was driving with the Sat Nav on even though I know the route so just for the traffic information. I got the double pop and SOS error message and then the nav went haywire as in it thought I was somewhere else and kept recalculating the route time after time until I stopped  it altogether. When I got to my destination and turned the car off I got the message that I have to sign in again with my S-PIN. Some hours later I made the return journey and got the same loading settings and now a permanent SOS error message for the entire hour long journey home even trying a couple of times to reboot the system. It's been the same today as well.

Darlo I think I remember that our cars were built at a similar time, mine was BW18, and I have (conspiracy) theory that the recent OTA update which I did on Wednesday but did not drive the car again until yesterday was in fact a way of getting people with affected cars to go back to the dealers for a full S/W update. Like many I would get the double pop and sometimes accompanied by the SOS error message but not always and it would clear after restarting the car. The first double pop/SOS error after the OTA update and it's a permanent error advising to go the workshop and partially useless infotainment system which will really make you go to the dealer!

I was actually waiting for more updates/fixes to become available before booking the car into the dealer but I will be calling them first thing on Monday morning now. Talking of which is there a list of available fixes as I would like to try and get as many done at once but I know that sometime dealers won't do them unless the customer has specifically mentioned them. I think I recall there is a wireless charging fix as my iPhone gets hot and barely charges at all. Does anyone know of anything else? Thanks.

sounds same fault as mine mate. Also the same issue with charging pad and my iPhone (and Samsung work phone).

@Dannybear83 kindly sent me the sos button fix but i as it’s in tomorrow I may as well leave so they can see it for themselves. Nothing worse that it being fine when it goes in 🤣

issues I am mentioning tomorrow are…..

The infotainment issues

the clicking brakes

wireless charging pad

plus the alignment of bonnet it being sorted.

can’t wait to see what courtesy car I get 😬

2 hours ago, Darlo said:

sounds same fault as mine mate. Also the same issue with charging pad and my iPhone (and Samsung work phone).

@Dannybear83 kindly sent me the sos button fix but i as it’s in tomorrow I may as well leave so they can see it for themselves. Nothing worse that it being fine when it goes in 🤣

issues I am mentioning tomorrow are…..

The infotainment issues

the clicking brakes

wireless charging pad

plus the alignment of bonnet it being sorted.

can’t wait to see what courtesy car I get 😬

Thanks and like all good conspiracy theories mine was wrong too as pressing the SOS button did clear the error and allow the infotainment system to work properly again. It didn't work the first time I was pressing what I thought was the button and when I finally let it go it was just the safety cover which then opened to reveal the actual button! 

On 11/09/2021 at 20:27, Sas0875 said:

Hi mate - have you heard anymore on this?  I picked up my car yesterday and specced the digital key.  I have iPhone and can see no way to actually create a mobile key

it won’t work on iOS. I was gutted. But to be honest. If the software is anything to go by on this car. I wouldn’t trust it. 

On 10/09/2021 at 19:06, mek said:

So it's been a while since I've posted to the forum, having taken delivery of my Golf back in May, but I thought it'd be useful to summarise some of the issues I've encountered. Apologies if these have been covered more extensively already on previous pages, I'm still catching up!

• Firstly, in common with a lot of people, I have been hearing the double click from the speaker occasionally (sounds like it's coming from the windscreen and I remember was quite disconcerting the first few times). I've read in a couple of other places that a software update done by the dealer may fix this. Is that true?
  • Similarly, and perhaps related from what I've read, I've had the 'SOS not available' warning come up many times, especially in certain locations (usually more rural). 
  • When I apply the parking brake while in drive (such as in a queue of traffic), the brake does seem to stick when setting off and auto-releasing again. It makes for quite an uncomfortable lurch from a standstill no matter how light I am on the accelerator. Has anyone else experienced this?

Those were just a few of the most obvious that spring to mind. My experience with the car otherwise has been great and I'm definitely glad I bought it.

Point 3. I get this issue when using auto hold.