• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Read this topic with interest, so did some Googling and apparently the development team for the Golf Mk8 have been taken into questioning.  I’ve included a picture of them.  

In Leeds now and zero issues so far. ACC behaved itself, no kph, no blocking overtaking, no slowing down then speeding back up. I took a route that I could previously guarantee seeing 110 as the speed

TPI instructions for cars with software versions 17** and 18** have been released by VW, under TPI reference 2063230/3 and 2065639/1   This should upgrade your software to version 1890

Posted Images

It will be interesting to see how the USA owners get on with their R gremlins, as they always seem to get recalls / compensation a lot easier than here in the UK.  I remember the DSG Mechatronics fault in 2008/09 which affected my R32 DSG box.   In America after many complaints the problem was accepted by VW of America who eventually put in a customer service program with extended warranty on the DSG.   Not here though ! 😔

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/volkswagen-of-america-announces-extensive-dsg-customer-service-program.4541499/?id=4541499

Well I haven’t been on with an update for a while due to various reasons. I didnt want to read the gremlin thread and it effect my decision.

After it’s last dealer visits I was getting a front and side assist fault. My patience had run out. I had pretty much made the decision to reject. Think it was the 4 or 5th visit. Couldn’t be bothered with more dealer visits. I even went to a view a couple of old high milers to run through the winter. 

VW finance has been great to be fair and given me regular phone calls and what I would expect to get back deposit wise.

Then something mysterious happened after a few days. No faults, not bing or bongs to say something wasn’t working. It’s been about two weeks now….. and nothing.

The stupid thing was as I decided to reject I started to drive the car more enthusiastically as in my head it was going…. My mpg reflected this 🤣. Then I kept thinking how bloody good the car is (apart from the Bridgestone’s in the snow but that’s for another thread). 

I was away last weekend and the Mrs used it…. Again zero issues. Turning off android auto (or whatever it’s called) stopped it messing up her phone and she uses Bluetooth like she does in her merc. 

VW finance rang me again. I was honest, zero problems with it. They have said to live with it for a month if anything else happens I can reject, will be a 2 to 3 week collection time. I get my deposit back minus the compo but they are including the deposit contribution in the refund so won’t be out of pocket. 

The only issues is sometimes the sound not coming through with Spotify via CarPlay…. But flicking it to radio then back to Spotify sorts this. Been chatting with @Dannybear83 and he suspects this is CarPlay related as it’s happened on his previous bmw. Also on occasion the screen is blank on CarPlay… again maybe apple related rather than VW. 

At the min there is zero reason to reject this car. It’s working perfectly well and continues to impress me when I drive it. It’s ticked over the 5k miles mark. 

No absolute final decision made as we all know they seem to be quite temperamental but I see no reason to send it back at the minute.  

Now watch me use it this weekend and the dashboard light up like a Christmas tree 🤣🤣🤣
30 minutes ago, Darlo said:

Well I haven’t been on with an update for a while due to various reasons. I didnt want to read the gremlin thread and it effect my decision.

After it’s last dealer visits I was getting a front and side assist fault. My patience had run out. I had pretty much made the decision to reject. Think it was the 4 or 5th visit. Couldn’t be bothered with more dealer visits. I even went to a view a couple of old high milers to run through the winter. 

VW finance has been great to be fair and given me regular phone calls and what I would expect to get back deposit wise.

Then something mysterious happened after a few days. No faults, not bing or bongs to say something wasn’t working. It’s been about two weeks now….. and nothing.

The stupid thing was as I decided to reject I started to drive the car more enthusiastically as in my head it was going…. My mpg reflected this 🤣. Then I kept thinking how bloody good the car is (apart from the Bridgestone’s in the snow but that’s for another thread). 

I was away last weekend and the Mrs used it…. Again zero issues. Turning off android auto (or whatever it’s called) stopped it messing up her phone and she uses Bluetooth like she does in her merc. 

VW finance rang me again. I was honest, zero problems with it. They have said to live with it for a month if anything else happens I can reject, will be a 2 to 3 week collection time. I get my deposit back minus the compo but they are including the deposit contribution in the refund so won’t be out of pocket. 

The only issues is sometimes the sound not coming through with Spotify via CarPlay…. But flicking it to radio then back to Spotify sorts this. Been chatting with @Dannybear83 and he suspects this is CarPlay related as it’s happened on his previous bmw. Also on occasion the screen is blank on CarPlay… again maybe apple related rather than VW. 

At the min there is zero reason to reject this car. It’s working perfectly well and continues to impress me when I drive it. It’s ticked over the 5k miles mark. 

No absolute final decision made as we all know they seem to be quite temperamental but I see no reason to send it back at the minute.  

Now watch me use it this weekend and the dashboard light up like a Christmas tree 🤣🤣🤣

Amazing. Threaten it with being rejected and it suddenly does as its told........ 

My main issue outside of the ACC issue of course is the same CarPlay/Spotify issue you describe, happened again tonight, 3rd time in 4 drives since the 91CM recall. 

Hope you get sorted out, which ever way you decide to go, keep us all informed and good luck for the next month! 

16 minutes ago, JaseW said:

Amazing. Threaten it with being rejected and it suddenly does as its told........ 

My main issue outside of the ACC issue of course is the same CarPlay/Spotify issue you describe, happened again tonight, 3rd time in 4 drives since the 91CM recall. 

Hope you get sorted out, which ever way you decide to go, keep us all informed and good luck for the next month! 

yep… typical 🤣

For me the no sound is a quick fix as I just select radio then CarPlay and sound is back. Yours sounds more complicated. The occasional blank screen can be a frustration but can’t 100% but this the fault of VW thanks to @Dannybear83 input 🤣. Thinking about it, it’s not done the blank screen for a while as well. 

I am sure it will disappoint me this weekend 😬🤣

1 hour ago, Darlo said:

Sod’s Law darlo!   Your R sounds like it’s behaving like a dog that’s been scolded.  If it was a cat it would blithely ignore that and carry on with the Christmas illuminations!  Pet analogies aside, I really hope that this proves to be a turning point in the gremlin woes fiasco.   On the CarPlay stuff, I use it all the time and have had a blank screen once (ages ago) but have not had the loss of sound issue at all, even with Spotify.  Unlike my mk7 CarPlay which regularly had the sound go awol.  It’s difficult to know what the causes are when everyone has different experiences but I guess there are some small variables which can make a difference.  Anyway, glad you’ve still got your R and hope that will still be the case in a month.  

After it’s last dealer visits I was getting a front and side assist fault. My patience had run out. I had pretty much made the decision to reject. Think it was the 4 or 5th visit. Couldn’t be bothered with more dealer visits. I even went to a view a couple of old high milers to run through the winter.    VW finance has been great to be fair and given me regular phone calls and what I would expect to get back deposit wise.   Then something mysterious happened after a few days. No faults, not bing or bongs to say something wasn’t working. It’s been about two weeks now….. and nothing.   The stupid thing was as I decided to reject I started to drive the car more enthusiastically as in my head it was going…. My mpg reflected this . Then I kept thinking how bloody good the car is (apart from the Bridgestone’s in the snow but that’s for another thread).    I was away last weekend and the Mrs used it…. Again zero issues. Turning off android auto (or whatever it’s called) stopped it messing up her phone and she uses Bluetooth like she does in her merc.    VW finance rang me again. I was honest, zero problems with it. They have said to live with it for a month if anything else happens I can reject, will be a 2 to 3 week collection time. I get my deposit back minus the compo but they are including the deposit contribution in the refund so won’t be out of pocket.    The only issues is sometimes the sound not coming through with Spotify via CarPlay…. But flicking it to radio then back to Spotify sorts this. Been chatting with [mention=28822]Dannybear83[/mention] and he suspects this is CarPlay related as it’s happened on his previous bmw. Also on occasion the screen is blank on CarPlay… again maybe apple related rather than VW.    At the min there is zero reason to reject this car. It’s working perfectly well and continues to impress me when I drive it. It’s ticked over the 5k miles mark.    No absolute final decision made as we all know they seem to be quite temperamental but I see no reason to send it back at the minute.  
  Now watch me use it this weekend and the dashboard light up like a Christmas tree

Happened to me with many cars I decided to sell.
All of a sudden, no problems and the car is great.

Like the 1973 VW Beetle that stopped starting until I ordered my first Golf (1998 mk4) when it started being perfect again. Then my Golf had windows get stuck and wouldn’t stop squeaking no matter how many times it was greased. until I was offered a company car (‘09 Jetta) then all stopped and it became perfect again.

Funny how it can make you believe a car has feelings :-)

I had Carplay issues on my 7.5 R. Dealer said they updated it "with the latest software" or so they said, but still had issues now and again. I think mine was a weird one that if you got a text or made a call then occasionally Spotify sound wouldnt work again unless you took the phone off the cable and on again.

They blamed Apple ios updates probably causing the issue.

Had the passenger seat heater gremlin today for the first time. Seat heating flicking on and off randomly after being set on setting one. 

Also had a message (thrice) saying "Resetting Vehicle Settings" 

Cancelled the first time so it came back on the next engine start so ignored that and message cleared,  but it came back on the next engine start so said OK. Which has stopped it reoccurring. 

Went carefully through as many settings as I could when we got home. I can't see what it's changed for the life of me!

Did notice blind spot assist lights flash briefly on engine start now but not sure if they always did that.

I had Carplay issues on my 7.5 R. Dealer said they updated it "with the latest software" or so they said, but still had issues now and again. I think mine was a weird one that if you got a text or made a call then occasionally Spotify sound wouldnt work again unless you took the phone off the cable and on again.

They blamed Apple ios updates probably causing the issue.

Same for my MK7.5, the volume would get stuck on Spotify and had to switch to radio to fix. It’s now happening on the MK8, appears a CarPlay issue more than a specific Car one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 hours ago, aldfort said:

Had the passenger seat heater gremlin today for the first time. Seat heating flicking on and off randomly after being set on setting one. 

Also had a message (thrice) saying "Resetting Vehicle Settings" 

Cancelled the first time so it came back on the next engine start so ignored that and message cleared,  but it came back on the next engine start so said OK. Which has stopped it reoccurring. 

Went carefully through as many settings as I could when we got home. I can't see what it's changed for the life of me!

Did notice blind spot assist lights flash briefly on engine start now but not sure if they always did that.

i get that on at least every other restart I’d say.

I press OK and the side assist lights flash and usually something changes, E.g. the radio volume goes up/down or I may have had put it into S on startup and now it’s back in D mode again. 

It’s not the most annoying thing in the world but I just don’t see why it does it.