Peugeot Sport Engineered 508 Hybrid

When I first read about this a 1-2 years ago it seemed quite promising, then the first photos started getting leaked and it was a nice looking car; I really like the PSE exclusive yellow trim and the 508 estate/SW is one of the better looking (estates) around at the mo. 

Not an amazing review but very promising.  Fair enough £55k is a lot of cash but it's a Peugeot so get a pre-reg or <12 month old car and save at least £10-15K.  A nice alternative to the mainstream euro estates IMO.  High praise to be rated over an S4 or V60 Polestar, those are sorted premium levels cars.  

https://www.evo.co.uk/peugeot/508/203737/peugeot-508-pse-2021-review-high-performance-hybrid-takes-on-s4-and-m340i

210318_508PSESWJL_0035.jpg210318_508PSESWJL_0008.jpg210318_508PSESWJL_0038.jpg

Like you @Penguin I too was quite interested in this - I nearly leased a gt line model a few years back, but stuck with the r.

I have to say imho the interior is a head of the golf - although I don't like the gloss black piano dash look (thats my bugbear with the golf r on the inside).

Certainly one to look at I feel in the future, especially as with so many speed camaras etc, the R doesn't get used to its potential with me.

8 minutes ago, BobbyT said:

Looks good but 55k??? Not even that quick. Reminds me of the Insignia GSI tourer, style over substance. 

Agreed but as I said, there's likely going to be huge discounts available on this simply because it's a Peugeot.  I think comparing to an Insignia is a bit harsh! 😂

9 minutes ago, gazza5 said:

Like you @Penguin I too was quite interested in this - I nearly leased a gt line model a few years back, but stuck with the r.

I have to say imho the interior is a head of the golf - although I don't like the gloss black piano dash look (thats my bugbear with the golf r on the inside).

Certainly one to look at I feel in the future, especially as with so many speed camaras etc, the R doesn't get used to its potential with me.

It's a lot of money, but has been said there will be big discounts which will help but it's not a car you'd buy new.

I don't like the 'gloss piano black' look as it's clearly plastic and such a huge difference from the proper Piano Black wood it's trying to look like.   It's still a bit of a nightmare to keep scratch/swirl free, but it is the most expensive / high quality looking trim I've ever had in a car (it was a BMW 'Individual' option) 

Not sure this does it justice as you can't see the depth of shine, but gives you an idea of what piano black should look like

IMG_1888.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Agreed but as I said, there's likely going to be huge discounts available on this simply because it's a Peugeot.  I think comparing to an Insignia is a bit harsh! 😂

The Insignia GSI is a good looking car with nice seats, but it was underpowered. I've always had a soft spot for Vauxhalls though, owned a few in my time. Shame they cut ties with GM, I'm not keen on the new cars coming out so not sure I would ever buy one again. Vauxhalls and Peugeot will be the same cars in indifferent frocks from now on though.

As much as I want to applaud other manufacturers making cars like these and attempting to take the fight to the German's, I just don't think it will sell. Unfortunately as you do go up the price range badge snobbery becomes more and more of an issue and once you combine that with the fact it just isn't as good as the German offerings... well that says it all.

Catchpole did a review of it here though if anyone is interested.

On 16/04/2021 at 11:31, tweaked9107 said:

As much as I want to applaud other manufacturers making cars like these and attempting to take the fight to the German's, I just don't think it will sell. Unfortunately as you do go up the price range badge snobbery becomes more and more of an issue and once you combine that with the fact it just isn't as good as the German offerings... well that says it all.

Catchpole did a review of it here though if anyone is interested.

You are right, but let's not forget, it wasn't always like that. The Pug 205 showed that the French could really compete with anyone. Badge snobbery is as you say, the big issue here, which is sad, as the 508SW is far better looking than any car made by VAG, BMW & MB.

2 hours ago, Charles M said:

You are right, but let's not forget, it wasn't always like that. The Pug 205 showed that the French could really compete with anyone. Badge snobbery is as you say, the big issue here, which is sad, as the 508SW is far better looking than any car made by VAG, BMW & MB.

Well cars like the 205 and even the 306 GTi and Rallye showed that they could go at it with the best of them (205 is a bit before my time), but that was over 20 years ago now. You can only trade off legacy reputation for so long. The 508 looks great but if it isn't as fast or fun as the German rivals no one will want it, not at that price. 

Even manufacturers that bring an equal or better offering to the table struggle. Look at Jaguar with the XE. When that came out everyone raved about it and how its better to drive than a 3 series. I don't think they sold many though. In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually saw one...

Well cars like the 205 and even the 306 GTi and Rallye showed that they could go at it with the best of them (205 is a bit before my time), but that was over 20 years ago now. You can only trade off legacy reputation for so long. The 508 looks great but if it isn't as fast or fun as the German rivals no one will want it, not at that price. 

Even manufacturers that bring an equal or better offering to the table struggle. Look at Jaguar with the XE. When that came out everyone raved about it and how its better to drive than a 3 series. I don't think they sold many though. In fact, I can't remember the last time I actually saw one...

Tbh, I’ve seen a few XEs and a rep at my last place had one - he preferred it over all the equivalent German cars he’d had. It just needs to build a reputation against the German cars which as mentioned earlier, is difficult. Most of us here when changing cars, even if moving from a VW, seem to err towards German cars. Tbh, I’d love an Alfa if I could afford one and didn’t have concerns about Italian electrics - maybe a hangover from what I remember about the old Alfasuds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
18 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

I’d love an Alfa if I could afford one and didn’t have concerns about Italian electrics - maybe a hangover from what I remember about the old Alfasuds!

My brother has the Stelvio and it's been problematic since day one and TBH the fit and finish of the interior leaves a lot to be desired.....another victim of the "you're not a true petrol head until you've owned an Alfa" Clarksonism. 

45 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

Tbh, I’ve seen a few XEs and a rep at my last place had one - he preferred it over all the equivalent German cars he’d had. It just needs to build a reputation against the German cars which as mentioned earlier, is difficult. Most of us here when changing cars, even if moving from a VW, seem to err towards German cars. Tbh, I’d love an Alfa if I could afford one and didn’t have concerns about Italian electrics - maybe a hangover from what I remember about the old Alfasuds!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I'd take a risk on a Giulia before I'd grab a Jag. JLR's reliability is supposedly not much better if any better than Alfa's at this stage and the Alfa looks immense. The only concern I have outside of reliability is as Penguin touched on. Overall material/fit and finish quality, as well as the usability of the various infotainment functions.

On 20/04/2021 at 09:21, tweaked9107 said:

I think I'd take a risk on a Giulia before I'd grab a Jag. JLR's reliability is supposedly not much better if any better than Alfa's at this stage and the Alfa looks immense. The only concern I have outside of reliability is as Penguin touched on. Overall material/fit and finish quality, as well as the usability of the various infotainment functions.

Agreed. I wouldn’t touch a JLR product.  The people I know who’ve owned them have all had major issues, usually electrical and usually rendering the car next to useless without a lot of time back at the dealers.