Hi All, 

Was driving my car today down the motorway about 60mph and I could start hear hear this grinding noise from the rear, i'm thinking it possibly might be a wheel bearing issue, I've got the car booked in on monday, but just wondered if any others have had this kind of problem?

Cheers

If you suddenly get a grinding/screeching noise it's always worth checking for a stone or piece of gravel caught in a brake pad or backing plate.  Sometimes that can sound like something has gone seriously wrong.  I had one moving around the backing plate on my Octy so it was sometimes quiet then it would shift and start touching and making a horrendous grinding noise again.

I've had a few wheel bearings go in other vehicles and they all started off as a fairly quiet rhythmic thrum, thrum, thrum that varied according to road speed and didn't change when you put the gearbox in neutral.  It gradually got louder over several hundred kilometers.  It was also slightly louder when you want around corners with the failing bearing on the outside (as it was under more load).

14 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

If you suddenly get a grinding/screeching noise it's always worth checking for a stone or piece of gravel caught in a brake pad or backing plate.  Sometime that can sound like something has gone seriously wrong.  I had one moving around the backing plate on my Octy so it was sometimes quiet then it would shift and start touching and making a horrendous grinding noise again.

What Greg said....That would be the first thing I'd looked for and in my own case....that is exactly what it was....horrible teeth grinding noise....Hopefully its the same with you and an easy quick fix....:afro:

I think I'm going to book it in for a 4-wheel alignment also once it's been to the garage, with all the damn potholes around at the moment (however much you play dodgems) I may have it one a little hard.

9 hours ago, golf7.5r said:

Jack each rear wheel up one at a time and turn each one by hand to see if you can pinpoint the noise.

Thanks for the advise, i would, but i don't have access to a jack unfortunately!

I'll let you all know what they find tomorrow, fingers crossed it's something cheap!