1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

Hi Aid, I’ve not had any discussions with James about the Service Plan other than buying it at time of car purchase.  I have told my servicing dealer that I’ll be wanting it serviced annually on Fixed (time & distance regime) and not Flexible (longlife regime) and that I have a 2-year service plan and they just said to book it in at the 1 year point and that’s fine.  

I don’t really see an issue as with the Service Plan, you get 1x oil change service (Minor service) and 1 x oil and inspection service (Major) as part of the plan so if you choose to have it serviced at 1year/10k mile intervals (as I will be) then that covers the the first two services.  I won’t be taking mine for any oil change before the 1st service at 1year old.  In every Golf I’ve had it’s had its first oil change at first service at 1 year old (and never drunk any additional oil).  

I think something is maybe being lost in translation here.  James does state that if you want to get it serviced annually you can choose to do so, so just do that.  The cars do come out of the factory set to Longlife service regime and always have Longlife oil in regardless of the type of service regime they have, it’s been this way for several years, but you can switch to the annual/10k (fixed) servicing regime should you choose to.  

My service indicator is now currently showing this (below) but it’ll be going in at 1 year old for first service which is the Minor oil change Service. 

6E3CA13C-0914-4496-8B0A-2A14BCA38980.thumb.png.8e2df5963b3316b71c180c329363f7d3.png

Thanks for this Rebecca,

I have had a chat with James this morning and he genuinely seemed unaware an oil service was required on flexible service setting before the 2 year inspection,I explained how 8Rs are currently set up and he agreed the service plan was worthwhile then so has added it to my order.

At least that's sorted now,I'll be doing the same as yourself and going to see if my local dealer will switch the car to fixed servicing at its first visit to them.

Ps you are certainly getting use out of your car,nearly 1200 miles already👍

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If it comes on Bridgestones you’ll wear out before they do.  😂

Yeah Bridgestones will last longer than the bloody Dinosaurs 🦕 

Brilliant. Thanks    Edit :just seen your reply 

Posted Images

Just tried to add the service plan for £269. But have been told they can’t because it’s set to long life servicing. But then I was told it is set time and distance. All they can offer me is the £385 plan 😏 and my local won’t match the £269 price because the “system won’t let them “

Is there some confusion here? 

I am pretty sure the car can be set to fixed or variable service and this depends on the duty cycle on the engine and drivetrain (it may well be the Mk8 can now work this out for itself.)

Cars that are used for long journeys can be on a variable schedule (long life) and cars that will be used for shorter journeys will be on a fixed schedule. The only thing this enables is the on board computer to predict next service due.

The service plan is a simple contract between you and VW (well, you and VW and the dealer in reality). It agrees to provide a package of services for a fixed monthly cost. That includes 2 services in the 2 years of the plan as has been stated. 

So after one year you book the car in for a service unless the computer has told you to do it sooner. 

You can buy a similar plan for older cars that included two MOT's and roadside assistance. 

As an example, There is absolutely nothing to stop you, as an owner, booking the car in for Haldex and DSG service based on time rather than mileage. In fact if you look at what Borg Warner say about Haldex this makes sense in the same way it makes sense as @Booth11 mentioned to find a dealer who will clean / change the filters which are not part of the official VW service schedule.

I agree @aldfort.  I have a 2 year service plan (paid in full) and regardless of whatever it came out of the factory set as (as they are usually set at factory for Flexible (Longlife) but then you just revert it to Fixed (Time & Distance)), it will be going in at 1 year for a minor service and then the following year for a major.  So that’s one of each under the plan. 

16 hours ago, Booth11 said:

I agree @aldfort.  I have a 2 year service plan (paid in full) and regardless of whatever it came out of the factory set as (as they are usually set at factory for Flexible (Longlife) but then you just revert it to Fixed (Time & Distance)), it will be going in at 1 year for a minor service and then the following year for a major.  So that’s one of each under the plan. 

It's the cheapest way to ensure longevity of the engine and drivetrain. I suppose it depends on how long you plant to keep the car.

I was allowed my first proper drive today and I think we'll be keeping it for a long time. 

21 minutes ago, Wrex said:

I take it this means I’m on a long life service?

B2BF15FB-ABB3-4852-904A-E839251250C4.png

The default service regime that’s set in the factory when the car’s built is flexible / long life. 

You can get your dealer to change it if you want it set to time and distance servicing - IMO it’s not worth a trip to the dealer just to change the service regime; I’d leave it until the first service is due.

47 minutes ago, Wrex said:

I take it this means I’m on a long life service?

B2BF15FB-ABB3-4852-904A-E839251250C4.png

As above they are set to Flexible (Longlife) from factory. Just get it changed when you take it in for annual service Wrex.  I phoned my dealership to say I wanted mine changing to Fixed servicing (T&D) and they said theyd do it when I bring it in at 1 year for service.  You’ll find that figure will change as you use the car though and how you use the car.  Mine started off similar figures but it reduced right down as more miles went on and was roughly annual. But I’ve recently done a lot of motorway miles so it’s extended again.  Either way I’ll be getting it serviced annually.  

Make sense why the service dept. couldn’t tell me if my car was set to T&D or long life. I will be doing about 10k a year mainly A roads and a little bit of motorway. So I presume as  the months till on it’s going to end up telling me I need a service at the 1 year interval anyway.

Ideally I want to get the service package that’s been mentioned 1x oil change and 1 inspection service. However they won’t let because they said it’s set to long life service so that offer is not available, and I’d buy it and end up having to pay for the first long life service as well when it’s due as I wouldn’t be able to use the above mentioned service plan  😑

46 minutes ago, Wrex said:

Make sense why the service dept. couldn’t tell me if my car was set to T&D or long life. I will be doing about 10k a year mainly A roads and a little bit of motorway. So I presume as  the months till on it’s going to end up telling me I need a service at the 1 year interval anyway.

Ideally I want to get the service package that’s been mentioned 1x oil change and 1 inspection service. However they won’t let because they said it’s set to long life service so that offer is not available, and I’d buy it and end up having to pay for the first long life service as well when it’s due as I wouldn’t be able to use the above mentioned service plan  😑

The service plan for £269 is a VW product not a dealer product so you should be able to get it,it took a while for my supplying dealer to agree that regardless as to the service settings the car was on it would need an oil and an inspection within 2 years.His confusion came from the cars only showing an inspection on the service schedule when new since the oil service doesnt appear until a few miles have been driven,once I explained all this he agreed that regardless of the service setting on the car it would require both an oil and inspection within 2 years so well worth purchasing.

You being told you are not eligible for the service plan is complete nonsense,my supplying dealer told me the plan was available to purchase regardless of the service schedule set up as it is up to the individual and if they feel it will be of benefit to them.

I purchased the service plan and received the paperwork direct from VW a few days after receiving the car.

1 hour ago, Wrex said:

Really?

I’ve had new VW’s set to the default long life service regime when I collected them. I’ve then bought the service plan and had servicing carried out on an annual (time and distance) basis and the service regime changed to T&D at the first service. 

IMO your dealer’s service department is talking cr@p. The fact that the car’s computer is set to long life servicing is irrelevant - all it’s doing is counting down the number of days to the next flexible / long life service, and that doesn’t physically prevent it from being serviced on an annual (T&D) basis under a VW service plan - the car’s computer just needs resetting to the annual / T&D service regime. 

In your position, I’d be trying a different dealer or alternatively, you could buy it online via VW’s website. 

This is from the VWFS Finance and Insurance brochure - nothing there to suggest you can’t buy a service plan for your car;

Service Plans
Volkswagen Service Plan for cars under one year old
If you have or are buying a Volkswagen that is under one year old, and not had its first service, this is the Service Plan for you. It provides you with the first two manufacturer’s scheduled services that your car will need for a fixed price. What’s more, you can choose from a one-off upfront payment or monthly payment option*, allowing you to fit the plan around you.

• Helps you manage and spread the cost of your Volkswagen’s servicin
  • Fixed at today’s rates to protect you against any future increase in servicing costs
  • We always use genuine Volkswagen parts to keep your vehicle 100% Volkswagen
  • All our parts and labour come with two years warranty and fitted by Volkswagen Trained Technicians
  • You can visit any one of our 200 Retailers in our network
  • The Volkswagen stamp in your service book helps maintain the highest possible resale value

*See Volkswagen.co.uk for full details of monthly Service Plan payment

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/files/live/sites/vwuk/files/pdf/Brochures/vw-finance-and-insurance-brochure.pdf

As per above you can buy the service plan whatever the car is set too, I purchased one online as soon as the car was delivered. But the £269 deal is only for certain dealerships that are applying this deal, the main VW online price is more. So depends if you are close to a dealership offering the cheaper option.