DCC or Performance Pack?

Hi, new here and thinking of getting an R instead of an Edition 45 GTI (currently have a Edition 40 GTi)

I have seen some talk but no definative answer, if you spec the Performance pack and it have various modes but you don't spec DCC I assume the modes have no affect on the dampers then? Do the modes only change engine, gearbox and throttle response?

Do you need DCC, I have never had it on any Golf before so not sure its worth going for but would probably go for the PP for looks and desireabilty / resale value.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So managed to test drive a dealer demo, in Lapiz, 18’s with pano roof and DCC.    Not good news though... it was way better than the Clubsport I tested end of last year and felt awesome and jus

Yes, but VW have been clever and recommend you use the sub as a spare in emergencies

in your shoes suggest - Get Both.   19” Wheels.  Supreme adjustability. Spoiler.  Nurburgring/drift mode and de-limited.  DCC with 19” nearly always recommended on here. Has to be worth the o

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, HA54SYM said:

Hi, new here and thinking of getting an R instead of an Edition 45 GTI (currently have a Edition 40 GTi)

I have seen some talk but no definative answer, if you spec the Performance pack and it have various modes but you don't spec DCC I assume the modes have no affect on the dampers then? Do the modes only change engine, gearbox and throttle response?

Do you need DCC, I have never had it on any Golf before so not sure its worth going for but would probably go for the PP for looks and desireabilty / resale value.

in your shoes suggest -

Get Both.  
19” Wheels.  Supreme adjustability. Spoiler.  Nurburgring/drift mode and de-limited. 
DCC with 19” nearly always recommended on here. Has to be worth the outlay.

ps. Ed40 very nice. 👍

28 minutes ago, NRW said:

in your shoes suggest -

Get Both.  
19” Wheels.  Supreme adjustability. Spoiler.  Nurburgring/drift mode and de-limited. 
DCC with 19” nearly always recommended on here. Has to be worth the outlay.

ps. Ed40 very nice. 👍

It’s easy spending other people’s money isn’t it.  😂

But I agree.  Both if you can.  

3 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

It’s easy spending other people’s money isn’t it.  😂

But I agree.  Both if you can.  

It is indeed.  Had to resist recommending a RWD GTI earlier today. 😂

4 minutes ago, NRW said:

It is indeed.  Had to resist recommending a RWD GTI earlier today. 😂

Haha, that ultra rare beast the RWD GTI!   😁  That thread is gone now.  I was waiting for the OP in that thread to post a suspect /spam link in one of the replies as is the usual practice before hitting the spammer eject seat button, but it never came so technically nothing untoward, but obviously it was annoying some and a website link in profile was my justification.  

But enough of that....back on topic 😊

It’s firm with 18’s and no DCC so if I was having 19’s think I’d force myself into DCC just in case it’s too firm for normal driving.

I know the press cars had DCC on some 18’s but I wouldn’t call it a necessity in my personal experience but I’m sure it’s great for the adjustability 

I think there was one guy on here who spec'd the performance pack but no DCC.

However, he commented on the Nurburgring mode that the car was noticeably firmer than the other modes. Seems odd if the car did not have DCC. I'm wondering if VW do fit adaptive dampers with the PP even without DCC - but they wont be adjustable in the screen.

No idea though, just a guess but it does seem pointless allowing PP to be spec'd without DCC. The whole point of the Nurburgring mode is the control of the dampers, I'd have thought.

Tha

15 hours ago, dopper99 said:

However, he commented on the Nurburgring mode that the car was noticeably firmer than the other modes. Seems odd if the car did not have DCC. I'm wondering if VW do fit adaptive dampers with the PP even without DCC - but they wont be adjustable in the screen.

No idea though, just a guess but it does seem pointless allowing PP to be spec'd without DCC. The whole point of the Nurburgring mode is the control of the dampers, I'd have thought.

Thanks and yes I’m wondering that too, as I can’t see how you can have a drift mode without altering some damper setting? And as you say without DCC you just can’t adjust things infinitely but just have a default damper setting based on the driving modes?

19 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Depends on the person, I’m sure just having a Nurburgring mode will be enough for some.

I’d put money on the non DCC PP cars having fixed dampers.

2 hours ago, camelsac2002 said:

Both if you can. I’d say it’s almost essential with 19s. I’m sure it’s saved my wheels a few times on our pitted roads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes absolutely. If it was me, I'd order DCC first every time then if funds allow, the performance pack. Not the other way around.

I think it's if you want a comfortable ride from time to time. If you don't mind a firm-ish ride then don't bother.

Yes absolutely. If it was me, I'd order DCC first every time then if funds allow, the performance pack. Not the other way around.

I think it's if you want a comfortable ride from time to time. If you don't mind a firm-ish ride then don't bother.

They’re also active dampers which adjust according to cornering speed, body roll etc - so it’s not just for ride comfort but a chassis upgrade too if you like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So managed to test drive a dealer demo, in Lapiz, 18’s with pano roof and DCC. 

Not good news though... it was way better than the Clubsport I tested end of last year and felt awesome and just that bit more special. Cant see an ED45 would feel as good to be honest, so pushing dealer to match me a DTD quote and order will be in, first ever R after 4x GTis.

ohh and I will go PP and DCC 🤣 I’ll just drop HK as the normal stereo seemed ok to me.

Thanks for making my mind up 😉