DaveGR

Advice on multiple too rich fault codes

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, but never signed up. 

Hoping someone can give advice. I have a Mk7 golf r, wagner intercooler, turbo technics intake with a vwr panel filter. Have a scorpion downpipe to put on too when I go Stage 2 in the coming months. 

When I scanned the car I have multiples too rich codes :

P0172 - Fuel Trim Bank 1 - System Too Rich

P21F9 - Fuel Control System 2 (Bank 1) - Too Rich at Idle

P2188 - System Too Rich at Idle (Bank 1)

P2251 - Oxygen Sensor B1 S1 - Negative Lead - Open Circuit - this triggered the EML light, which lead me to think I have a faulty o2 sensor, so I replaced the one further away from the engine with a genuine part.

I now don’t get P2251, but the too rich codes appear after a day or so of driving. 

Have I changed the right o2 sensor or should I have changed the one on the turbo ? 

Now hitting 90k, should I get the intake valves walnut blasted and injectors cleaned, could this have caused the rich codes ? 

The other things I’m thinking are

- PCV but no codes present, no signs of leakage. 

- Cam adjusters as I heard these can cause issues 

- Faulty Injectors ?

I’ve changed spark plugs 2k miles ago with genuine, along with an oil and filter change. Other than that I’ve been changing my oil every 5k. 

Is there some sort of adaptation or basic settings I need to to reset something once I’ve put the new o2 sensor in. Sorry still new to VCDS. 
Also not sure what to look at in advance measuring values to pin point what’s wrong. 

Just want to make sure I’m sorted before I go

in for the map.

Cheers 

Dave 

5 hours ago, gregozedobe said:

Could be a leaky injector ( a known problem with some Golfs).  What do the spark plugs look like ?

Thanks for the replies, I’ll check the spark plugs today and post a photo. When I took out the post cat o2 sensor it was covered in like whitish / black material. 

4 hours ago, Dan1982 said:

Bank 1 sensor 1 is the pre catalyst oxygen sensor. You’ve replaced the post cat one 

Damn I knew I should’ve checked before buying one. I’ll get the pre cat o2 sensor ordered and get that replaced. Hoping it solves the codes. If not I’ll probably look to get the injectors tested. 

27b67496799a3af3be43f9879a95f12b.jpg

Spark plugs from left to right. 1-4

980bfda51c654f96430da5a16d138bc1.jpg

From top to bottom - top being Spark 1

5ee99685fe5f6475d075c8139ee5f0da.jpg

Top to bottom. Top being 1

0b00b09bca1cd04425068600c53ba67f.jpg

All 4 look like this.

Any ideas anyone ?

Going to remove o2 sensor on the turbo to have a look at that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spark plugs # 2 & 3 look good to me, but plugs # 1 & 4 look quite grotty for plugs that have only done 2K.  Plug #1 is the worst.  Definitely something wrong affecting only the 2 outside cylinders.

Has you fuel consumption increased ?  That might point towards a couple of leaking injectors, or carbon building up enough to restrict air flow.

Spark plugs # 2 & 3 look good to me, but plugs # 1 & 4 look quite grotty for plugs that have only done 2K.  Plug #1 is the worst.  Definitely something wrong affecting only the 2 outside cylinders.

Has you fuel consumption increased ?  That might point towards a couple of leaking injectors, or carbon building up enough to restrict air flow.

Thanks for the reply. I’m thinking I probably have a leaky injector somewhere. Going to see if I can get them tested somehow.

I’ve noticed a drop in mpg, but nothing too drastic. A motorway trip gave me around 330 miles to a tank driving eco all the way. But I’ve heard people get around 400 so based on that maybe. I’ve also noticed when the car gets warmed up and I’m sat in traffic idling or I’ve been sat idling for a long time it does tend to start vibrating ever so slightly like somethings not right. But then again this could just be the o2 sensor not reading right and chucking lots of fuel in to compensate.

But to update, I cleaned what I could off the post o2 sensor and plugged that back in. Put everything back together, cleared the codes, and no faults found. I left the car idling for around 30 mins to try and replicate what it normally does when idling but nothing at all. Rechecked on VCDS, no faults. Took the car out on a pretty hard run, and it seems to run better than it did before. Got back, again let it idle for around 30 mins and still no codes. Checked misfire count too and have nothing pop up.

Touch wood the problem was the o2 sensor, but then the sparks have me worried now.

Going to give it a few days, but going to replace the o2 sensor with a new one tomorrow just for piece of mind.

Should I get some new sparks ordered ?

Thinking if the codes pop up again the next step would be injectors. Can anyone recommend somewhere to get those tested or am I better off getting new ones.

Appreciate the help. Thanks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the rough idling appears again it might be worth checking for any error codes - just to eliminate coil packs from the diagnostic process (they are likely cheaper than replacement/refurbished)injectors).

I have similar issue p21f9 I have changed pcv lambda sensors both and hpfp 8 injectors tested from r tech and cleaned manifold changed coil packs and spark plugs still got rough idle and short term fuel is -33 which meant to be on 0

6 hours ago, S3 golf r said:

I have similar issue p21f9 I have changed pcv lambda sensors both and hpfp 8 injectors tested from r tech and cleaned manifold changed coil packs and spark plugs still got rough idle and short term fuel is -33 which meant to be on 0

I'd still be suspicious of a leaking/clogged injector, particularly after reading on fb about an R owner who was having trouble with his R and was told that his injectors had been cleaned and tested and were OK.  His # 2 injector wasn't !  And he had paid for a lot of other work and parts before finding that out ( I had suggested he get someone else to look at his car again with a fresh set of eyes).

Other issues can be cam magnets and carbon build up blocking manifolds.

1 hour ago, S3 golf r said:

Changed the manifold also carbon build up was cleaned 

It might be time to get someone else to look at your car (the fresh set of eyes and a different brain that I mentioned previously). 

Be prepared to pay for them to re-check things that have already been "checked". 

I'm still suspicious of a leaking injector because of the -33 fuel trim, to me that indicates too much fuel is getting in, and these engines have a known problem with leaking injectors.