Golf R MK7.5.. what Next.... Golf R mk8, M340i, M340d, S4

Hi all,

I generally like to replace my car when the warranty expires. I have a fairly tricked out mk7.5 2018 from new - warranty until mid-June 2018. So my choices are:

1) Hang on and fit the JB4 I bought (waiting for the next service before fitting next month) breaking my warranty "rule".

2) Buy an M340i estate (I do miss the big boot of an estate)

3) Same (M340d estate)

4) Same (S4 estate)

Thoughts on those that have made the transition recently? I know Becs and other have taken the MK8 plunge - initial thoughts? My veins are not running VW blood and I am very impressed with the Beemer 340i mild hybrid fully tricked out with a nice discount.

As a btw.. I chatted with the JB4 folks and they are already working on the Mk8 JB4 btw as the currently JB4 does not work with fit the mk8 as covered elsewhere most likely.

Cheers, Chris

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here she is just before pick up... Thx all.  

So, the results are in. Golf R MK8 - launch control, rider and handling lovely - good fit and finish - great value. Came very close to ordering! Outsider test - Tesla M3P. Crazy performance as expecte

Looks great, tanzanite a stunning colour and was a colour choice I wrestled with when ordering my 340 d..finally went with the touring in oxide grey and shadowline pack, tech pack and comfort pack

Posted Images

48 minutes ago, 4monks said:

Hi all,

I generally like to replace my car when the warranty expires. I have a fairly tricked out mk7.5 2018 from new - warranty until mid-June 2018. So my choices are:

1) Hang on and fit the JB4 I bought (waiting for the next service before fitting next month) breaking my warranty "rule".

2) Buy an M340i estate (I do miss the big boot of an estate)

3) Same (M340d estate)

4) Same (S4 estate)

Thoughts on those that have made the transition recently? I know Becs and other have taken the MK8 plunge - initial thoughts? My veins are not running VW blood and I am very impressed with the Beemer 340i mild hybrid fully tricked out with a nice discount.

As a btw.. I chatted with the JB4 folks and they are already working on the Mk8 JB4 btw as the currently JB4 does not work with fit the mk8 as covered elsewhere most likely.

Cheers, Chris

Get the M340i. It won't "feel" as fast as a mk8 R but it makes up for that in luxury and build. I recently jumped out of my mk7.5 R into a C43 estate so did a similar thing as what you are looking at.

Moved from a B9 S4 Avant into a 7.5 R Estate, and much prefer the Golf. 

Faster, more forgiving, more pointy and more tech, and £20k less. The Golf is a little less refined, but not twenty grand’s worth.  

21 minutes ago, 4monks said:

Thanks all. Wil do the round of test drives over next few of months. Cheers.

I think that’s the best idea Chris.  Now you can get out on test drives, go through your list and compare.  A few of us on here have moved to mk8R hatches and from what I’ve read so far, all seem happy with it, including myself.  I’ve written quite a lot in my own members’ ride thread and other mk8 threads but in short, I think the 8R is a superb car and I’m very very pleased with it.  It sounds like the 8R Estate is the one that’s closer to your requirements so hopefully you’ll be able to see that later in the year if you do decide to break your warranty rule.  Of course nothing to stop you taking out a years’ extended warranty on your 7.5 whilst you consider your options, if you want to go beyond June when factory warranty is up.  Peace of mind if something does go amiss (mine covered failed water pump/thermostat housing), and if not, and you sell the car before the year is up, you can get the remaining amount refunded, provided you’ve not made a claim in the policy time. 

Out of the OP's list, I'd go for the BMW 340i; I've been looking at them with my dad (for him) and have been quite impressed.  If I was going to get rid of my 7.5 Wagon then I'd have an extended test drive of one and the A45S Shootingbrake and then make my choice; granted the Merc is not the biggest of estates but it does have added practicality over a hatch and I've been hankering after an AMG for quite a while now.  

• 3 weeks later...

So, the results are in. Golf R MK8 - launch control, rider and handling lovely - good fit and finish - great value. Came very close to ordering! Outsider test - Tesla M3P. Crazy performance as expected  - others not even close - but I'm not ready to give up the noise dimensions yet and fit / finish issues. I'm also struggling with only an i-Pad to control everything. Next go around will be EV - tis time - last combustion engine hurrah. BMW m340i - signed on the line. Pickup in the next couple of weeks. Whilst I wanted an Estate, I had to concede a Saloon to my good lady wife. As she correctly pointed out to me  - we do need an estate maybe twice a year, so borrow one of the kids cars as were on their insurance. After that , key decision elements... with launch - felt similar to Golf. Without launch -- i.e normal away from the lights, felt much faster and the noise.. to die for! Spec and finish - top gun - but it costs more so it should be. Discount - 12% off OTR. Others... Audi - not ready to wait for the new 2021 RS3. RS4 with spec - too pricey, S4 Avant- I didn't want to own a diesel 3 years from now. 

Final Spec: Tanzanite Blue II, Vernasca Leather - grey stitching, Piano Black Trim, M Technology Pack,  Shadowline Plus, Technology Pack Plus, Comfort Pack Plus. Pretty much maxed out except sunroof / carbon roof. 

As a BTW, during this process, I found out if you want to order a BMW, I found out (not from the stealer) the factory orders are suffering from semi-conductor shortage issues so they are pulling a variety of options from future build. Be very careful as the stealers are keeping it close to the their chests despite it being all over the net - particular the US net. For example, DAP (active cruise etc) is being pulled form loads of cars. I suspect the same will impact VAG if not already. Non-factory orders with high spec - rare as the proverbial hens teeth. 

I've loved my R over the past 3 years and the final option that was very close was to hang onto it. It was close. Thanks for all the input people and safe / happy diving.

3 hours ago, 4monks said:

So, the results are in. Golf R MK8 - launch control, rider and handling lovely - good fit and finish - great value. Came very close to ordering! Outsider test - Tesla M3P. Crazy performance as expected  - others not even close - but I'm not ready to give up the noise dimensions yet and fit / finish issues. I'm also struggling with only an i-Pad to control everything. Next go around will be EV - tis time - last combustion engine hurrah. BMW m340i - signed on the line. Pickup in the next couple of weeks. Whilst I wanted an Estate, I had to concede a Saloon to my good lady wife. As she correctly pointed out to me  - we do need an estate maybe twice a year, so borrow one of the kids cars as were on their insurance. After that , key decision elements... with launch - felt similar to Golf. Without launch -- i.e normal away from the lights, felt much faster and the noise.. to die for! Spec and finish - top gun - but it costs more so it should be. Discount - 12% off OTR. Others... Audi - not ready to wait for the new 2021 RS3. RS4 with spec - too pricey, S4 Avant- I didn't want to own a diesel 3 years from now. 

Final Spec: Tanzanite Blue II, Vernasca Leather - grey stitching, Piano Black Trim, M Technology Pack,  Shadowline Plus, Technology Pack Plus, Comfort Pack Plus. Pretty much maxed out except sunroof / carbon roof. 

As a BTW, during this process, I found out if you want to order a BMW, I found out (not from the stealer) the factory orders are suffering from semi-conductor shortage issues so they are pulling a variety of options from future build. Be very careful as the stealers are keeping it close to the their chests despite it being all over the net - particular the US net. For example, DAP (active cruise etc) is being pulled form loads of cars. I suspect the same will impact VAG if not already. Non-factory orders with high spec - rare as the proverbial hens teeth. 

I've loved my R over the past 3 years and the final option that was very close was to hang onto it. It was close. Thanks for all the input people and safe / happy diving.

Congrats on the decision, not always easy, but you sound very happy with your choice and can sit back now and look forward to the new motor!  Hopefully not too long a wait. You’ll have to share a few pics and thoughts with us once you get it.