Can a ceramic coat protect me from seagulls?

A couple of weeks ago, I detailed the Golf with Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax. I am still made up with its jetting (darkening) effect and the car looks great, even though it needs a maintenance wash. Well, it did look great but now I'm parked within a mile of the coast in Cornwall for a week at a place we are lucky to be able to borrow a few times a year.

Last night, seagulls walked over a lot of the bonnet and roof, leaving behind their sandy, gritty feet marks 😲 I don't have anything with me to remove them and inspect but they must have made some light scratches underneath, albeit I can't see them atm. They shat on it as well but I always have a trusty microfibre to soak and lift those without swirling.

I wasn't going to ceramic coat this car as I have to do it outside. That said, I've done a previous car outside and it came out superbly. Will a ceramic coat protect the car from things like gulls and cats? I'm sure the coat would scratch but I'm thinking of it as a sacrificial layer. 

A friend suggested a cover but the car is usually dirty to some extent by the time it gets here. The thought of putting a cover on a non-clean car then leaving coastal winds to slowly sand the paintwork gives me cold chills ...

From what I've read a decent ceramic coat won't provide 100% protection from scratches, swirls and bird-poo-induced clear coat etching, but they do help a lot.  If it was me I'd prefer a good ceramic coat (after a proper paint correction) rather than a car cover, and I kept my Octavia under a cover for 3 years.

On 02/05/2021 at 10:18, JonSW said:

friend suggested a cover but the car is usually dirty to some extent by the time it gets here. The thought of putting a cover on a non-clean car then leaving coastal winds to slowly sand the paintwork gives me cold chills .

Try one of these:  

Cheap, not super strong, but can be tied on and make a bit of noise in the breeze that will deter cats n birds.  

I keep one in car - for when I am at my mums which is shitehawk central, and then another at home for occasion if I have been coating and need car to stay dry as it cures, or debris-free if I am part way thru a job.  Very light car contact, plus added bonus that the plastic flaps a bit in wind, and this does seem to work.  Needs weight done or tucking under wheels,  and is strictly a temporary affair.  But cheap.

£10 each it’s a no brainer.  Neighbours will think you are a bits nuts, but mine do anyway.  

396CF746-5BA3-45F7-A82E-D1E8191931AE.jpeg.6a2acc1341d39cc351fd457ec4a97d61.jpeg

Or a Carcoon:  

£500 - can get outdoor bubble

But it does sorta remind of the infamous Mike Strutter Bubble....\ which I am surprised has not caught on more curing CV19 times