Like others, I dislike having lost the manual controls, now having to to prod the screen instead.  I reckon it's dangerous, especially at my age, as I should have my full concentration on the road at all times.  After a MK 6R and two Mk7Rs, this put me off the MK 8 until I considered opting for voice control.

Anyone have experience of using it, how well does it work and how many functions does it control?  

15 minutes ago, Craig said:

Like others, I dislike having lost the manual controls, now having to to prod the screen instead.  I reckon it's dangerous, especially at my age, as I should have my full concentration on the road at all times.  After a MK 6R and two Mk7Rs, this put me off the MK 8 until I considered opting for voice control.

Anyone have experience of using it, how well does it work and how many functions does it control?  

I’ve used it a handful of times in my mk8 just to test it out but it worked well on the occasions I did try it.  You can either launch it completely hands free by simply saying “hello volkswagen” and then giving a command, or press the voice button on the right hand steering wheel control to launch it and then give commands.  As with all these voice things there’s key phrases that work best and there are tips in the infotainment guide as to what to say.  I’ve used it for nav request, controlling aircon, phone calls and all worked.  It’s still much quicker to do these things using hand controls but if you wish to avoid that then voice control is there.  I’ve not explored its full capabilities as I’m happy with using the haptic and slider controls, so no need for me.  Like all these things though what one person finds fine might be different to another so if you can try it out (on a test drive etc) that would be a good idea.   

1 hour ago, MK1GTI said:

so far I've had " How can I help you" and " What do you Want " I think the car got annoyed I was asking questions 😂😂

I hope you asked in a nice tone.  Mind you even that doesn't always reap results - my request for a pepperoni and rocket pizza went unanswered.  😢 😂

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

I hope you asked in a nice tone.  Mind you even that doesn't always reap results - my request for a pepperoni and rocket pizza went unanswered.  😢 😂

Clearly unimpressed with the "Rocket" aspect of your request 🤣

1 hour ago, Scudgie said:

Clearly unimpressed with the "Rocket" aspect of your request 🤣

It could have at least put the car in Special mode at the mention of Rocket! 😂🚀

(disclaimer - the voice control cannot change driving modes)