MK7 battery on way out tell, tell signs?

Hi All,

I notiched yesterday my start-stop fucntion had stopped working - and in car status is says power consumption is to high, even though have nothing else plugged in etc.

I've also notiched the car this morning is not starting as smoothly as it should do (struggling tiny bit), is this sign that the battery is on its way out? - i've had my obd eleven device stolen so cant check this, is there a easy way to verify this or is matter of taking to a car mechanic getting the voltage tested etc?

I also heard that the batteries are quite expensive to replace £200/300?, i've got extended RAC warranty cover at the moment, do you know if this will be covered under warranty if i need a new battery?

Kr

A

If you have access to one, might try a Battery charger first.  Mine does this if garaged, standing too long unused.   Overnight charge restores happiness. 
19 plate. Under 5.5k miles. 👍

Battery Charger about £70. CTEK MXS 5. [email protected] and everywhere else.  Doddle to use. 

Batteries aren’t covered under the current range of RAC warranty products from ALA. Batteries are in the list of excluded parts under the general heading of ‘Electrics’ on the website (see below), whether your warranty is the Standard, Premium or Premium Plus product;

Excluded electrical parts: Bulbs, LED, High Intensity Discharge (HID), lamps/lenses, batteries, fuses, wiring harness, wiring terminals and remaking of disturbed electrical connections.

Link to website below. Click on the ‘specified exclusions’ link for the list of excluded parts or refer to your warranty policy document.

https://www.ala.co.uk/warranty/what-is-covered.html

The best way to check a battery is to do a proper load test.  A failing battery and a battery that needs to be charged up will both show the same symptoms in use (no auto stop/start, slow cranking of starter motor, in bad cases a christmas tree of error lights).

As NRW says, try charging the battery and see what happens.  If you are only driving in heavy stop/start traffic your battery may not get charged up fully, even though you are driving regularly.

If you do have to change the car battery, see below thread in order you to purchase the correct type for stop start. Unsure if you have a mk7 or 7.5? there is also a link below to determine the type. Just type in your reg plate and double check the results against what is in your car at the moment. 

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/bosch/s5a08/

Hey, 

Recently replaced my battery.

The signs which i experienced was initially:

ACC Error (active cruise control) which went away if I switched the engine off and back on again. 

StartStop will not work. (No error messages)

Obdeleven will have a few low voltage faults

Finally the car didn't start at all no battery warning nearly got stranded luckily after a few attempts the car  just about started. 

Replaced with a Bosch AGM battery. 

Only negative Start Stop is working again 😂

12 hours ago, sss555 said:

Hey, 

Recently replaced my battery.

The signs which i experienced was initially:

ACC Error (active cruise control) which went away if I switched the engine off and back on again. 

StartStop will not work. (No error messages)

Obdeleven will have a few low voltage faults

Finally the car didn't start at all no battery warning nearly got stranded luckily after a few attempts the car  just about started. 

Replaced with a Bosch AGM battery. 

Only negative Start Stop is working again 😂

It might be worth keeping an eye on your battery voltage, if it is getting low due to non-use or too much heavy traffic driving it might be worth using a battery charger every now and then to keep it fully charged.  Lead acid batteries last much better if kept fully charged all the time. 

Unfortunately the charging system (BMS) VW install on their newer cars with auto stop/start are designed so they don't keep the battery fully charged all the time, which is the main reason batteries don't last as long as they used to.  

On 06/05/2021 at 00:47, Microbe said:

Any idea why they do that?

Is it to limit the draw on power by the alternator and thus greater fuel consumption??

The explanation I have read is that they deliberately leave some headroom in the battery charge so they can charge it up more often using the "free" energy available when decelerating, thus reducing fuel consumption (and emissions) by a poopteenth, so their official (not real world) figures look slightly better.  They ignore the extra energy used and pollution caused by replacing the main battery every 3 years rather than the 7+ years they used to last because that isn't counted anywhere that they care about.

I just put my R battery on the charger every week/fortnight or so in a effort to keep it fully charged most of the time.  So far it has lasted 3 1/2 years and still tests OK.