WBAC valuation after a year of ownership

Evening,

I was quite surprised about this so thought id make a thread.

I bought my limestone grey 2016 MK7 Golf R with a few extras from factory (pro nav, vienna heated leather, keyless, dynaudio) with 38500 miles on it in May 2020 at a cost of £18500.

Well as with any car depreciation is to be expected but seeing as my ownership has been for a year now I thought id get a quote from We Buy Any Car and see what the damage so far is... I couldn't believe it when it came back with £18500! I have put 10k miles on it since then!

Now I know they would try to knock the price down when I take it there but still! It must be worth more privately now then what I paid for it now that is a very rare thing indeed for a 5 year old car which should still be depreciating at a fair rate...

Have WBAC made a mistake here or has the mK8 made the mk 7 more desirable?

Any thoughts on this?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, I have my offer! Not as high as they were hoping but, from my point of view it is still very good - £24.5K.  I had a few marks on the one back door carbon trim and one boot side that are beyond fa

Update on the above, car sold and collected, finance paid off, money transferred.   Motorway have been brilliant from my experience. Very impressed.

Yes, I would never use a company that has someone who deceived his family for so long in its adverts, vile little man!!

Posted Images

It’s not like WBAC to make a complete arse of their quote for the benefit of the seller.

Without checking the correct valuation and assuming it’s correct , If your going to sell, then I’d bite their hand off with that appraisal.

48 minutes ago, Djs2394 said:

Evening,

I was quite surprised about this so thought id make a thread.

I bought my limestone grey 2016 MK7 Golf R with a few extras from factory (pro nav, vienna heated leather, keyless, dynaudio) with 38500 miles on it in May 2020 at a cost of £18500.

Well as with any car depreciation is to be expected but seeing as my ownership has been for a year now I thought id get a quote from We Buy Any Car and see what the damage so far is... I couldn't believe it when it came back with £18500! I have put 10k miles on it since then!

Now I know they would try to knock the price down when I take it there but still! It must be worth more privately now then what I paid for it now that is a very rare thing indeed for a 5 year old car which should still be depreciating at a fair rate...

Any thoughts on this?

Traded my 66 plate with 16,000 miles back in February to VW for £18,750.I bought the car for £21k in November 2019,it went back up for sale at £21,500 and sold within a week.

When I was looking at swapping WBAC were offering £2k less than anyone else.

1 hour ago, Djs2394 said:

Any thoughts on this?

Probably neither of the above.

It’ll more likely be the market forces of supply and demand at play; people will be more willing in the current environment to commit to a circa £20k mk7 R than a circa £40k mk8 R. That may create short term supply issues of good quality used examples of mk7 / mk7.5 R’s, which will help keep values and selling prices buoyant. 

WBAC will almost never - if ever - pay their initial indicative valuation for a car - even the very smallest of stone chip or blemish they find when inspecting a car will have the effect of reducing that initial valuation . As @NRW has said, Motorway may be a better option, but as with any of these car buying services, always be totally honest about a car’s condition, so the price offered isn’t subsequently reduced to reflect ‘defects’ that haven’t been declared but are subsequently discovered on inspection of the car.  

Ok, I’ve just sold my 2 year old 19 plate for a price I did not expect through Motorway. Over £2k more than WBAC and more than the original Motorway estimate. They put your car on a closed 1 day auction and dealers bid on it. You will get an email at 3:00pm with the final bid, which in my case was far more than expected so I was over the moon. I’ve have a main VW dealer buying. 

As mentioned be honest about the condition, when I spoke to them before hand I mentioned about a couple of stone chips, but apart from that the car is immaculate IMO and under 14k miles. 

Motorway also gives you the opportunity to tell them about spec, thus making your car more desirable and may help push the price up. You wont get that from WBAC.

read their Trust Pilot reviews and they are very good.

having said all of that, they inspect it and pick it up tomorrow, so hopefully all will go well and I’ll get what they promised then I’ll have a hefty deposit for my new 8R which is on order.

34 minutes ago, NRW said:

Nice bit of work you’ve managed to do there. Well done you. 👌

I think its just luck at the moment Neil. Used prices are just nuts at the moment so thought I'd take the plunge now rather than risk the prices going down. They cant stay this high forever.

Downside is a wait for the new car, but I'm not using mine that much at the moment with working from home and will save all my current monthlies.

I dont really need to change my car at the moment, but its only going to cost me a couple of grand on top of what I'll get for my car and that for a fairly well spec'd 8R. And most of the £2K will come from saved monthlies. Then I'll keep my monthly at the exact same as my 7.5.

So in my case, £2K for a £44K List 8R with low monthlies. No brainer really.

(Obviously didn't pay £44K as got it through Drive the Deal).

15 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Ok, I’ve just sold my 2 year old 19 plate for a price I did not expect through Motorway. Over £2k more than WBAC and more than the original Motorway estimate. They put your car on a closed 1 day auction and dealers bid on it. You will get an email at 3:00pm with the final bid, which in my case was far more than expected so I was over the moon. I’ve have a main VW dealer buying. 

As mentioned be honest about the condition, when I spoke to them before hand I mentioned about a couple of stone chips, but apart from that the car is immaculate IMO and under 14k miles. 

Motorway also gives you the opportunity to tell them about spec, thus making your car more desirable and may help push the price up. You wont get that from WBAC.

read their Trust Pilot reviews and they are very good.

having said all of that, they inspect it and pick it up tomorrow, so hopefully all will go well and I’ll get what they promised then I’ll have a hefty deposit for my new 8R which is on order.

Update on the above, car sold and collected, finance paid off, money transferred.

Motorway have been brilliant from my experience. Very impressed.

4 hours ago, dopper99 said:

Update on the above, car sold and collected, finance paid off, money transferred.

Motorway have been brilliant from my experience. Very impressed.

They sound very a good outfit. Nice to hear positive review where it’s deserved. 

I entered both cars into Motorway out of interest and was surprised by how high the initial quote was, it does sound like a really good/easy way to sell your car, I'll give them a proper go when the time comes.

I sold my astra to webuyanycar - insurance had two days left before running out, got £3900 - they sold my car for £5250 through car giant.

Tbh fair play to them, couldn't trade my car in as was leasing the R.

Was fairly pain free, I think most the negative reviews come from people who say there car is immaculate, but really isn't. I was honest with scuff to alloys etc, I got knocked down as I couldn't find the sat nav disc (later found long after car gone why I took it out the car I don't know!). Admittedly that knocked my quote down by £165 - cd was £99 on ebay, and I very much doubt they replaced it tbh!

Used values are currently mad, totally agree with other posters. I don't think it will stay like that, I think come xmas there is going to be quite a bit of unemployment around.

Got a valuation out of curiosity this week after the above.....Motorway have been consistently higher as @dopper99 demonstrates above.   I was blown away by this, so had to share

5AF4D80C-7FF1-41E3-A61A-FB41737F18B2.thumb.jpeg.28ff090039ad844fcfea0794524db3f3.jpeg

It really is a good time to sell your R if you are hankering after a Mk8.  Sadly I’m not considering a change after Just 26 months. 😀