Hi, trying to update the nav is driving me mental crazy. I get through the procedure past the point where it is creating a back up...then it just says error, check network....i have no idea what network it is talking about, my wifi is fine and it must be as i had only just downloaded the discovercare app...any idea what is going on?

Checksum error likely means the downloaded file is corrupt in some way. Probably didn't fully download and crashed part way through.

They are massive downloads and if your internet is a bit flakey or slow you might want to try a download agent that can resume after a partial download.

On 08/05/2021 at 19:52, HunterT said:

Tried on two different machines, both Macs..one with the original VW sd card and one with a new sd. These are what im getting

IMG_4317.JPG

IMG_4318.JPG

I’m getting the network error too. Which head unit do you have? I have the mib2 pro and using a Mac to run discovercare. Going to try a windows machine if I can get hold of one to try 

• 2 months later...

Okay - I have attempted to update the Sat Nav using the Discovercare program on a Mac and I have encountered the "ERROR  - An error occurred. Please check network settings".

So did anyone get round this obstacle without finding a Windows machine? I have gone to Network on System Preferences and have turned off the Firewall without success (i.e. I still encounter the Error message).

Another thread had a chap suggest that he simply ignored Discovercare, downloaded the update and loaded that onto the memory card. However, the contents of the memory card are not the same as the downoaded update so I don't know if I delete everything on the card and upload the update or what.

Any assistance would be gratefully received!

Download correct map from vw website onto your pc  . It’s a zip file around 25gb so takes a bit of time.

Format your memory card, usually Fat 32 , must be 32gb size to take files .

unpack the  zip file to your sd card .

place memory card in infotainment slot 1 and within the car menu go to the look for software update and hopefully it scans and sees the update on the card and automatically installs. It can take a few attempts to see the updates on the memory card. Takes about an hour to install. 

Laths

Thanks for that - the memory card has a capacity of 15.75 GB. If I unpack - as you say - the contents of the zip file (DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1730_V14-2.7z) onto the memory card, I would have to make room for it by disposing of what is there at the present - namely Maps which takes up 14.02 GB.

So, my question is: do I trash the existing contents of the memory card and unpack the contents of the zip file onto the memory card and the Sat Nav will recognise and respond to the zip file contents without more?

17 minutes ago, Pablodurando said:

Laths

Thanks for that - the memory card has a capacity of 15.75 GB. If I unpack - as you say - the contents of the zip file (DiscoverMedia2_EU_AS_1730_V14-2.7z) onto the memory card, I would have to make room for it by disposing of what is there at the present - namely Maps which takes up 14.02 GB.

So, my question is: do I trash the existing contents of the memory card and unpack the contents of the zip file onto the memory card and the Sat Nav will recognise and respond to the zip file contents without more?

Let's step back and ask a basic question: which Nav system do you have - Discover Media or Discover Pro? The answer is possibly the key to your problem.

Discover Pro - you need an empty 32GB SD card on which to extract the downloaded file, which is nearly 26GB. You them insert the card in your head unit and do the update (can't be more specific as I don't have this model).

Discover Media - you have to use the actual SD card that came with the car, as it's specially flagged to work with this head unit. You download and extract the file, which is currently 14.7GB for the full Europe Bundle 1, onto the original SD card. Unfortunately, if your car came with the maps on a 16GB card this update (2021/06/21) will not fit, and you can't use any old 32GB SD card for the purpose. So the two possible solutions are to download one of the subset map collections, or to somehow acquire a valid 32 GB SD card, with or without the current map set. Your dealer will sell you one of the former for £110.

How you download the updated files is unlikely to be an issue if you just use a normal download procedure, and avoid VW's flaky application.

7 hours ago, Pablodurando said:

Laths

Yeah format ( trash the existing contents ) the card, get your appropriate zip file from site below  and unpack to memory card. 
https://app-connect.volkswagen.com/mapupdates/system/#selection

Just be mindful mines a discover pro, so I’m not fully upto speed on the discovery media. See Chris 7.5 R response. I’m not sure why that unit needs a special memory card ?

2 hours ago, Laths said:

Just be mindful mines a discover pro, so I’m not fully upto speed on the discovery media. See Chris 7.5 R response. I’m not sure why that unit needs a special memory card ?

Yes, be careful with this. The downloadable files are different for the two nav systems; Pro files are bigger than Media files.

For Discover Pro the SD card only has to transport the map files from your computer to the head unit, where they are transferred to internal storage. It has no other function and any 32GB card is OK.

For Discover Media the SD card is the permanent "internal storage" medium for the head unit. VW say that this card is "special" for reasons of data integrity, but I see it more as a copyright/revenue protection issue. The real annoyance is that they originally specified a 16GB card, which was only just adequate for the earlier map data but is too small for the latest update. The current maps are now available to purchase but are supplied on a 32GB card. The free map download is only useful if you already have the larger SD card, or if you choose one of the smaller subsets of European maps.

It is quite straight forward once you get your head around it.

First of all I avoided using VW's app as I kept getting weird errors with it. Below is the procedure I followed for Discover Media:

1) Backup original maps by creating folder on my desktop called 'Backup' and dragging/copying the contents of the SD card into this folder.

2) Format the SD card by right clicking on it under 'This PC' in file explorer and clicking 'Format' making sure that I chose Fat32 as default method.

3) Download VW's map bundle. My card was only 16 GB, so I went with the smaller EU bundle which was 'Europe - Bundle 2' but any that will fit on the SD card should work.

4) Once the download had finished, I extracted the contents onto my desktop in a separate folder. (This took a while)

5) Dragged the extracted contents in the desktop folder into the newly formatted SD card. (This also took a while)

6) Took the SD card out of the computer and plugged into the original slot in the car. All good!

This was after multiple attempts using VW's method of extracting the contents straight onto the SD card which never worked for me as it kept saying 'Database not found' when I put it in the car.