3 minutes ago, Msportman said:

Sounds a plan.

Unfortunately with all modern cars nothing is a cheap fix anymore.

One reason I still love my plain old simple MK2 16v GTI but it’s becoming more difficult to source certain parts.

You can understand people just forking out monthly for new cars and chopping them in every 3 years if not into modding etc. Still expensive per month on a £40k car so you need a good salary!

Yeah nothing is cheap nowadays especially when you get into the tuning side of things!

I have just gone stage 2 a few weeks ago and got warned about turbo play so to play it safe I'm going to get the Littco 380 core fitted into it, cheaper and less hassle than if it went pop!

A lot of people use the analogy of treating a car payment like a phone contract nowadays, i suppose if you can afford the monthly's then its just hassle free. It makes sense i guess, but i just couldnt pay that much on a run of the mill car!

5 minutes ago, ChazR said:

Yeah nothing is cheap nowadays especially when you get into the tuning side of things!

I have just gone stage 2 a few weeks ago and got warned about turbo play so to play it safe I'm going to get the Littco 380 core fitted into it, cheaper and less hassle than if it went pop!

A lot of people use the analogy of treating a car payment like a phone contract nowadays, i suppose if you can afford the monthly's then its just hassle free. It makes sense i guess, but i just couldnt pay that much on a run of the mill car!

Yeap if you a 10% deposit down on a new R your close to £600 a month!

Thats before you pay your mortgage and usual bills and live!

1 minute ago, Msportman said:

Yeap if you a 10% deposit down on a new R your close to £600 a month!

Thats before you pay your mortgage and usual bills and live!

Then the other car costs - tyres, brakes, fuel, insurance, road tax the list goes on lol. I budget around 800 a month for 'car stuff' (fuel, maintenance, car payments etc) and seems to work about right. Definitely not cheap! Although i dont have a mortgage lol, that can wait till i have had nice cars 🤣

3 hours ago, ChazR said:

Similar to what I did.  I went with the L380X supercore option and mitigated the turbo lottery and also it should be a good platform for future tuning.  Great bit of kit and loves to rev without affecting spool rates etc.  The only drawback is that it needs custom mapping.  If I was to do it again, I would likely have stuck with the direct IS38 replacement and stuck with my Revo tune.  I had a working turbo so the TTE replacement through Awesome was an option I maybe should have given more consideration. 

Can't complain though, 403 BHP and 430 ft-lb makes for a quick R 🙂

6 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Similar to what I did.  I went with the L380X supercore option and mitigated the turbo lottery and also it should be a good platform for future tuning.  Great bit of kit and loves to rev without affecting spool rates etc.  The only drawback is that it needs custom mapping.  If I was to do it again, I would likely have stuck with the direct IS38 replacement and stuck with my Revo tune.  I had a working turbo so the TTE replacement through Awesome was an option I maybe should have given more consideration. 

Can't complain though, 400 BHP and 430 ft-lb makes for a quick R 🙂

I have just had mine mapped (custom), so i want to just go for the direct replacement like you said. If i had a bit more time i think i would push the boat out and get the 380x or something but im completely happy with how the car is at the moment tbh!

I bet that goes well mate, mine made 402 BHP and 391 ft-lb on stage 2 remap - car is completely different now i love it!

1 hour ago, slider09 said:

I would have a look at fast lane turbos as well. They do an even stronger version than Littco - plus, you will probably be able to speak to someone (all I hear about littco is the failure to answer phones / emails). 

When you say stronger, as in more reliable? If so then how?

1 hour ago, slider09 said:

I would have a look at fast lane turbos as well. They do an even stronger version than Littco - plus, you will probably be able to speak to someone (all I hear about littco is the failure to answer phones / emails). 

I must admit I’ve also heard that about Littco but every time I’ve called them Dan always picked up and was great with giving advice and guidance based on my requirements etc. Ordering was straightforward and the turbo was shipped directly to the garage who were doing the work. 

I also had some issues with how the turbo was setup and again Dan was happy to talk me through putting things right, over the phone.  He was significantly more helpful and responsive than the people who did the work. 

I did order just before garages/suppliers/tuners seemed to struggle with sheer volume of customers due to lockdown and such; maybe I was just lucky but my experience was positive.