Interesting to hear yhour view points @Charles M

I have coonsidered this to be my next car and possible last hurrah for petrol, although with the current prices, will have to keep saving.

Maybe need the C43 possibly for a bit more exhaust noise, although personally I prefer the M340i dash etc.

Hopefully the car will get a bit more under your skin.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So today I bid farewell to the 7.5R Estate, handed the keys over and took the M340i Touring in its place.   First the financials of the R. I bought with 4547 miles on the clock for £28350 (i

I have to confess that I always thought the 7.5 R Estate was much better looking than many gave it credit for, especially the front end. It did look a bit clumsy viewing from 1-2 o'clock, down the fla

Various things.   The image. I liked driving the R. Those that know, know but most just see a plain old Golf (or some thought a Passat!). BM get's you shitty reactions, and it does bring out

Posted Images

On 29/08/2021 at 17:16, keano said:

I’m looking at the m340 touring as the doggo wagon but they are hard to come by at the moment so also considering a 7.5R - this thread has been useful emoji106.png

Interesting you get more boy racers in the Bm- must admit I don’t get any issues in the R ok that front but assumed that would be the same with the Bm too…

Does the Bm feel a big car? Cars are getting so big these days it irritates me - been on a trip to north Norfolk recently and everyone seems to be in an audi q5 or vw Tiguan or bmw x3/5 etc etc and one thing they all have in common is they have no idea how big their car is!!! All of them overrun the centreline and expect oncomers to move over to accommodate them… I don’t want to be one of those people!! emoji23.pngemoji23.png

I got more boy racers in the R, but people never treat BM drivers in a kindly manner!! Can't possibly think why not 😄 Maybe we all over run the centre line. 

Does the BM feel a big car? Not huge, but feels a fair bit bigger than the R. Not so much on the road, but inside. The width is the biggest thing. I sit in the driver's seat, and can't touch the passenger door. Maybe I couldn't in the R, but memory is trying to tell me I could. What's the width difference - 2cm? More? The rear doesn't seem any further away. 

The R has a fair amount of storage, so that should be kept in mind. I didn't need a load lugger, so the estate is a nod to practicality. I do miss the R's under floor storage, for things such as tyre pumps etc but the BM is still handy for my needs. I've got my truck for big stuff, and the Mrs has an Outback,

17 minutes ago, gazza5 said:

Interesting to hear yhour view points @Charles M

I have coonsidered this to be my next car and possible last hurrah for petrol, although with the current prices, will have to keep saving.

Maybe need the C43 possibly for a bit more exhaust noise, although personally I prefer the M340i dash etc.

Hopefully the car will get a bit more under your skin.

I am a little biased maybe, as I had BMs for 22 years before the R. I did sit inside a C43 and the interior design isn't to my taste. I also thought that the rear leg room was lacking a bit compared to the M340, but that might be down to the dealer being so off hand that we only had a quick look. I do like quad tips, so thumbs up to the C43. Exhaust noise.... I can't really talk for the C43, but the M340i in Sport sounds OK enough to me. No DSG farts of course, which to me is a bonus. No real pops and crackles, although there is sometimes a muted burble. I missed the intrusive engine noise to start with (but not the overly intrusive road noise), but now I'm more than OK with how it is. I tend to drive in Sport and use paddles.

As you say, it is my last hurrah I suspect. I came from 6 cyl diesels to the 4 pot R, and was happy enough with losing the cylinders. But going back to a 6 cyl, it is nice to have those cylinders back.

The problem is supply & demand (ie prices). I think I might have timed it about right, though I don't have the mild hybrid tech (not that I'm sure that is a great problem), selling the R before the top but buying the M340i also before the top. I look at the few similar specced cars on the approved used BM site, and they all seem to be about £5-7k more than I paid.

As i said to Rebecca, I do miss the R, or rather some aspects of it. The boisterous hot hatch that I often read lined, is somewhat different to the more composed and grown up M340i. Having said that, since writing that post, I've been a bit more analytical about the 340's differences to the R, and I seem to be hitting the red line a fair bit more. I think that the biggest difference is that the 340 cossets you more and you can travel at high speeds without really realising it. I also find that it goes around corners better, but that might be the RWD (bias) that i had for so long before coming to the R. Also I rather liked the cloth seats in the R!!!!

PS -  I think also the torque levels make a difference. In the 7.5 it's 400 vs 500 in the 340, seemingly lower down the rev range, though that might be a wrong impression. I found myself red lining the R so much more often than I do in the 340, where instead I hit the sweet spot for torque and change up, thus not using all the BHP available. I've only done 2.5k miles in it so far, so I guess I'm learning to adapt to things. Having said in the above post about B roads, I did the other day take it on a red line blast down one and it felt good, which reinforces the thoughts that I need to learn the car a bit more. Guess 20+ years of 6cyl diesels is having its say on my driving style, though adapted to the R easily enough. 

After having mine dyno’d this morning, the maximum torque (528Nm) is reached at 2400 rpm. Mine might be slightly different to yours due to the hybrid tech but I doubt the difference will be much, if any.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
14 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

After having mine dyno’d this morning, the maximum torque (528Nm) is reached at 2400 rpm. Mine might be slightly different to yours due to the hybrid tech but I doubt the difference will be much, if any.

Interesting.

What BHP did you get?

Well 😡

bumped into a friend coming the other way on a country road in his electric Passat (he does renewables). Got chatting, and because I'm a boy and he was in a GTE, I gave him some straight 6 burble. 

His response... "nice, but not as sexy as your last car" 😪 🤣

Well 

bumped into a friend coming the other way on a country road in his electric Passat (he does renewables). Got chatting, and because I'm a boy and he was in a GTE, I gave him some straight 6 burble. 

His response... "nice, but not as sexy as your last car"  

Can you take car advice from someone who drives an electric Passat though?

Do manufacturers ever quote wheel HP?

Wouldn’t surprise me if some of the discrepancies in calculated crank HP is because of how the DT losses are calculated…

If they quoted power at the wheels it would help take that off the table.

I think all manufacturers quote crank horsepower, but dyno’s measure wheel horsepower. Which is why all Dyno figures should be taken with a pinch of salt. They can be massaged to improve figures. The dyno formula to convert whp to chp varies per Dyno operator.

400 on one Dyno could be 380 on another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think all manufacturers quote crank horsepower, but dyno’s measure wheel horsepower. Which is why all Dyno figures should be taken with a pinch of salt. They can be massaged to improve figures. The dyno formula to convert whp to chp varies per Dyno operator.

400 on one Dyno could be 380 on another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah exactly they can vary. I’ve learnt my lesson but spent a lot of time and money chasing numbers in the past so tend not to care too much what a dyno says these days - as you say, can be used to check changes but even then there can be so many variables the numbers need to be taken with a pinch…

Used to get my old car run on a mustangs dyno aka the heartbreaker dyno!!