Golf mk8R - DIY fit gas bonnet strut

As we know VW saw fit to lose the gas bonnet strut on the Golf mk8 replacing with a manual strut.  That’s just not good enough after being spoilt with a mk7/7.5 and the fact the Skoda gets a gas strut!  So here is the parts and info to DIY it and restore gas strut order!  

A very big thank you to @guy1 for leading the way on this mk8R mod - this is his info….

You will need:

Gas strut end fittings are from eBay- they come as a pair but you only need one that goes on to the bonnet.

Process: 

1. Insert the ball pin with the washers on either side in to your bonnet and tighten into nut. 

2. Get the gas strut and click it in to the engine bay ball pin which is already there.

3. Click the other side of the strut into the ball pin which you have put on to the bonnet

I have put up a picture so you know what hole you need to put the ball pin into. 

Once done enjoy lifting the bonnet!

PHOTO-2021-05-27-09-54-40.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As we know VW saw fit to lose the gas bonnet strut on the Golf mk8 replacing with a manual strut.  That’s just not good enough after being spoilt with a mk7/7.5 and the fact the Skoda gets a gas strut

Nice!.....why on earth they just didn't leave that on from the factory, I dunno. I mean all the holes and stuff are there for it so it was engineered in to the design from the get go, it's not like a

Just a note of caution - I ordered the ball pins from the link above which are described in the advert as 10mm diameter but the ones they sent me were 5mm.  Hopefully just a picking error but be aware

Posted Images

Nice!.....why on earth they just didn't leave that on from the factory, I dunno. I mean all the holes and stuff are there for it so it was engineered in to the design from the get go, it's not like a radical change in bonnet design prevented it.

Did it really save that much money!? - I bet the stick and its bits cost hardly any less. Why VW, why!!

2 hours ago, blower said:

Did it really save that much money!? - I bet the stick and its bits costs hardly any less. Why VW, why!!

Haha - yes. In real terms cost VW more to design the Strut out than to leave it in. 
“Priceless”😂😂

• 3 weeks later...

Just a note of caution - I ordered the ball pins from the link above which are described in the advert as 10mm diameter but the ones they sent me were 5mm.  Hopefully just a picking error but be aware.  In the end I’ve ordered the correct ones from the dealership as mentioned by @mahalo in this post https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/38590-bonnet-strut-mk8/?do=findComment&comment=589294

Ball stud part no. 1J6 827439A (superseded but if you ask for this the VW system directs to new part no) 

As per Bec's request here are more details and photos of what is required to fit the gas strut.

Firstly, the parts required from your VW Dealer are as shown in the list.IMG_0245.thumb.jpg.868f2039a774e5dfcd8d8324599f4213.jpg

In addition to the above two parts you will need at least two washers big enough to fit in front of the bonnet ball pin fixing location and behind it plus a M10 nut to fasten.

Here is a photo of the size of washer I used.IMG_0242.thumb.jpg.1f82465f99fda149b666abb3dbea1ef0.jpg

In order to get access behind the area where you fasten the bonnet ball pin, it is best to remove the bonnet sound insulation pad.

It is held in place by three push clips as shown in this photo plus being pushed underneath in an alternating fashion. Remove the three clips by pushing them together and pulling out and then gently start at one corner removing the parts of the insulation pad that are underneath the recessed area. It comes out very easily.IMG_0243.thumb.jpg.e7c86e728a41c60f6e77ad14cec6d223.jpg

Once the bonnet ball pin has been safely attached then the gas strut clips to both ball pins. The engine bay already has a ball pin fitted in the correct location as shown in this photo

.IMG_0241.thumb.jpg.acceabe3e2f65a2f73e93e1acf8f8202.jpgIMG_0244.thumb.jpg.901f0e8c5f4f5d3a8ec28e45a7adf549.jpg

Both ends of the gas strut snap onto the ball pins and the job is done.

The only difficulty in this job is if you drop the washers which I did as I tried to do the job without removing  the bonnet insulation pad - the washers then end up in the space between and are a real pain to remove. I ended up having to buy an endoscope to find and remove them so learn from my mistake and remove the bonnet insulation pad and carefully hold onto the washer and nut whilst fixing.

Got this done today.  Picked up the correct ball pin from VW but mine takes an M8 nut not an M10.  🤷‍♀️ Used an M10 washer though as bigger which is needed to ensure it doesn’t fall through the hole in the bonnet.  Didn’t completely remove the bonnet insulation to do the job, as just enlisted other half to hold it back sufficiently, whilst I did the washer and nut work.  It creased it slightly so if you want to avoid that I’d advise you to follow mahalo’s advice on removing it completely.  No big deal though.  Getting the washer and nut securely on the inside of the bonnet ready to screw the ball pin into, required a bit of improvisation with tools etc but all done!  

51248554237_33e1489832_o.jpg

51248553872_688a142e7d_o.jpg

51250323040_7c6324f811_o.jpg

• 3 months later...