How quick did you get used to buttonless cockpit?

Thinking of getting a Mk8 Golf. This would be non-R as I am looking for something more ordinary this time round. The only thing that puts me off are all the reviews putting down the lack of buttons and the 'feel' of haptic steering wheel controls.

To those who have had a Mk8 for a month or more, have you got used to them? Still annoying or OK now? I mainly use CarPlay so my nav, music etc. is all taken care of by a quick screen press or Siri. I also don't change the climate controls much once set.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have had the loan of an RLine Mk8 Diesel for a few days, and ive enjoyed the car a lot more than i expected. Feels really nice to drive and the dread i had for the new interior soon went away and it

Everyone will be different I expect but I got used to the haptics etc very quickly (within hours) and have fortunately had very few glitches or issues and ones I have have been very temporary and reso

Of all the things I was worried about, the infotainment system and the touch buttons turned out to be the biggest non-issue for me. The Youtube reviews really did blow it out of proportion.

11 hours ago, JonSW said:

Thinking of getting a Mk8 Golf. This would be non-R as I am looking for something more ordinary this time round. The only thing that puts me off are all the reviews putting down the lack of buttons and the 'feel' of haptic steering wheel controls.

To those who have had a Mk8 for a month or more, have you got used to them? Still annoying or OK now? I mainly use CarPlay so my nav, music etc. is all taken care of by a quick screen press or Siri. I also don't change the climate controls much once set.

Everyone will be different I expect but I got used to the haptics etc very quickly (within hours) and have fortunately had very few glitches or issues and ones I have have been very temporary and resolved themselves or were resolved by a hard reset. I’ve not had any issues accidentally pressing steering wheel buttons etc as widely reported by ham-fisted reviewers.  

I really like the interface in the mk8 though I realise many do not. I like the fact there are a number of ways to action something too and I’ll use different methods.  I spent a good amount of time early on in ownership playing with the tech and getting to know it throughly and that has paid off for me.  I use CarPlay all the time (as I did in my mk7) and that works very well.  I do change aircon a lot but haven’t found that a problem at all.  

If given the choice, I would not switch back to the previous system.  

I can honestly say it took me no time at all. Really is a lot of fuss about nothing. I am yet to accidentally press a button like the journo’s. I prefer it to the infotainment system in the wife’s merc. 

The wireless CarPlay is brilliant. The only issue is the wireless charging pad making my phone hot. 

If I would change anything it would be the size of the tiles on the apple car play screen. My sausage fingers sometimes aim for the phone tile but hit the Spotify button 😂

The buttons still require a reasonably firm press to do anything. A light touch does nothing. 

They may not be for everyone but if the issue hadn’t been raised in the reviews I genuinely wouldn’t have given them a second thought. I get people want proper buttons and dials (especially for the climate) but the amount I change the settings means it’s an insignificant issue for me 👍

I feared the worst after watching all the reviews on YouTube but it took me less than a day to get used to it. I have driven nearly 1000 km since I got it and I have yet to press any buttons on the steering wheel by mistake so I'm really wondering what kind of grip the reviewers are using 🤔

I agree with everyone, the system really isn't any issue at all. It goes to show that you don't need buttons and dials all over the place. Now its a nice tidy cabin with a much more modern look. The system is really easy to use, just like a smartphone and you can even tell it what to do, you don't need to take your hands off the wheel. Still trying to work out myself how the journalists have knocked buttons on the steering wheel 🙄 

The steering buttons are not a concern. The actual central menu is not very user friendly until you get to grips with it. In the first few days it felt like I switched from IOS to Android on a phone. Last experience I have with this is on a Porsche Cayenne and that is very user friendly when compared to this. Considering its software they didnt go into much effort for simplification.

I managed to create a short cut for ECS off and now figured how to turn off the lain assist so all is good. After a few full launches I dont really car about the tech.

I can only assume all of those on You Tube etc spend all day fiddling with the buttons on the dash and the steering wheel. In reality what do you actually need to do on a daily basis?

You probably have the aircon set how you like it - so you don't need to mess with that!

You might want to enter a sat nav destination - do you really want to go back to a scroll wheel to do that?

You might want to change the radio station or the media - that's easy enough or do you want to go back to the scroll wheel?

You probably set the dash up how you like it - so you don't need to mess with that!

You probably set all the assistance system up as you like them - so you don't need to mess with that!

2 hours ago, aldfort said:

I can only assume all of those on You Tube etc spend all day fiddling with the buttons on the dash and the steering wheel.

I kind of think it's the opposite and that many of the YouTuber reviewers don't spend any time before they set off on their review drives trying the system out, and then are faffing around trying to find settings which they can't find, and consequently hitting every thing in the process then moaning that it's all crap and an unusable system. 

I do change settings on the go quite a lot but having spend a sufficient amount of time familiarising myself with them in the first few days of ownership have no trouble whatsoever making changes on the move.  

It's a bit annoying when you change back from Race - Sport or Comfort the HUD stays as the Race and you have to cycle through the views to whichever it was on in Sport or Comfort. 

Apart from that haven't had any issues with the infotainment system. TBH only leave it in CarPlay! 

17 minutes ago, Nath_27 said:

It's a bit annoying when you change back from Race - Sport or Comfort the HUD stays as the Race and you have to cycle through the views to whichever it was on in Sport or Comfort. 

Apart from that haven't had any issues with the infotainment system. TBH only leave it in CarPlay! 

Yeah agree, it would be better if it reverted back to your former virtual dash view choice when coming out of Race mode.  Still, it’s not a deal breaker, lol.

2 hours ago, DustyBones said:

I have a brand new rental mk8 golf atm. It has normal buttons on the steering wheel. So is it only the performance golfs that have the touch buttons on the steering wheel? Have to say for a bog standard car, it is very good.

• Models that get conventional buttons on the steering wheel; Life, Active and Style
  • Models that get capacitive touch sensitive pads rather than buttons;  R-Line, GTE, GTD, GTI, GTI Clubsport, forthcoming GTI Clubsport ED45, and R 

Just some more reassurance for people who are still concerned…. The Mrs used the car for the first time today. 

I set up her phone and the wireless android system worked brilliantly. I went to bed off night and she used it for the day. She isn’t aware of all the negativity surrounding the system. Needless to say she had zero issues and it didn’t even mention them.

The only the problem she had was the climate control. I left it off and it took her ages to see the on button in the top left. She was annoyed as she had to put the windows down as it was 23degs and it messed her hair up. Which made me laugh 🙌🏻😂

She is using it all weekend so it will be interesting to see what she thinks of the car overall. 

Thanks everybody. It's certainly very revealing that anybody who has lived with the car for a short period has no issues with the system. I'm still not sure whether it will be a Mk8 or not that I get but at least my major fear of the car has been put firmly to bed.

My only other fear was the looks but that evaporated the first time I saw one in the metal instead of in a photo.