How quick did you get used to buttonless cockpit?

9 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Some interesting points blower and I don’t doubt that someone with giant hands at the end of burly arms might find the capacitive controls a little less user friendly.  💪 😁  I see you’ve carefully avoided mentioning gender, lol.  Still, male or female (I could be a shot putter of 70s Russian style physique 😉)  almost every owner on here -  I’d hazard a fairly accurate guess predominantly male - has stated they’ve not found the controls to be an issue (aside from across malfunctions in some cases, the car not the driver that is).  

My hands aren’t massive 😄 they are medium size, slender, with long slim fingers so not sausage fingers, so accuracy of touch may well possibly be attributed to that?! (I’ll  have to put my other half in the seat with his chunkier digits and use him as a comparison).  But I’m old (wrong side of 50) so I can’t attribute anything to the sprightliness of youth.   😄

All i know is my somewhat chunky arms are hard to steady when i'm sat in a car, and even though i regard myself as very precise in my abilities i do have difficulty consistently getting a precise enough hit on a touchscreen, especially on the move - i've never liked them, even on phones, but they are a necessary evil when it comes to a phone.

I dunno, i might change my mind if i owned a mk8, but even the big pro touchscreen on my mk7.5 i find irritates me....nothing wrong with it, as far as touchscreen response goes its pretty good, but it is still a touchscreen so requires me stabbing multiple times the tiny hit box that the 'X' is on for closing a menu/screen, for example.

Yep i avoided mentioning gender lol, i'm not going anywhere near that can of worms!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have had the loan of an RLine Mk8 Diesel for a few days, and ive enjoyed the car a lot more than i expected. Feels really nice to drive and the dread i had for the new interior soon went away and it

Everyone will be different I expect but I got used to the haptics etc very quickly (within hours) and have fortunately had very few glitches or issues and ones I have have been very temporary and reso

Of all the things I was worried about, the infotainment system and the touch buttons turned out to be the biggest non-issue for me. The Youtube reviews really did blow it out of proportion.

1 hour ago, blower said:

All i know is my somewhat chunky arms are hard to steady when i'm sat in a car, and even though i regard myself as very precise in my abilities i do have difficulty consistently getting a precise enough hit on a touchscreen, especially on the move - i've never liked them, even on phones, but they are a necessary evil when it comes to a phone.

I dunno, i might change my mind if i owned a mk8, but even the big pro touchscreen on my mk7.5 i find irritates me....nothing wrong with it, as far as touchscreen response goes its pretty good, but it is still a touchscreen so requires me stabbing multiple times the tiny hit box that the 'X' is on for closing a menu/screen, for example.

Yep i avoided mentioning gender lol, i'm not going anywhere near that can of worms!

If you’re not best friends with the mk7.5 system, I’m not sure you’ll want to meet the mk8 system ; ). That said the screen is large, is very clear and positioned well, so that’s a good start, and the menu ‘tiles’ on the main screen are large.  The X on the right hand pane or the square icon (depends which screen you’re on) are both pretty big so there’s hope.  Some screens (e.g the pull down shortcut screen) revert back to the main screen after a few secs too, but again depends what you’re accessing. CarPlay tiles are smaller though so more potential to aim and miss on the move. 

Gender is indeed a can of worms for anyone/thing now.  Did somebody say the word ‘pronouns‘?  😂

Like Apple....Overly expensive products, massively unintuitive OS, crazy shortcuts you need 2 hands for,   thats not a good thing. 

Maybe so …

You need two hands to fly a jet fighter
but only one hand to drink beer ;-)

edit: just being polite and wrote “drinking beer” instead of what I meant to write (which also requires one hand, and makes you happy for a few minutes).
The youtubers and influencers all watch each others "content" and use the same comments..

Even the same wording, sometimes.
If they weren’t lazy they wouldn’t have gone to journalism, trying to report what other people and organizations do, but would’ve tried to create value in their own.

As they say:
the ones who cannot do, teach,
and those who cannot teach, criticize.
The youtubers and influencers all watch each others "content" and use the same comments..

After ready the first few replies on here this ^ is exactly what I was going to point out!

Glad all you mk8 owners are generally getting on pretty well with the new system, which is quite reassuring.

I didn’t like the idea of the approach to buttons so was put off, then reviewers seemed all agree but sounds like both my preconceived ideas was wrong whilst reviewers still can’t be trusted…

Irritates the hell outa me that Matt Watson wants all cars, regardless of class, to have acres of space in the rear for people… how about if you want more space you buy a bigger car rather than all smaller cars getting bigger and bigger and bigger and heavier and bigger and heavier…. Rant over
11 hours ago, AHG said:

Even the same wording, sometimes.
If they weren’t lazy they wouldn’t have gone to journalism, trying to report what other people and organizations do, but would’ve tried to create value in their own.

As they say:
the ones who cannot do, teach,
and those who cannot teach, criticize.

Agree. And I think the problem with reviewers is they don't live with the car.

It's a bit alien when you first try to use any new interface that different to your old or your conventional way.

It just takes a few days, that's all. Reviewers don't have a few days - possibly not even a few hours. Working out the shortcuts and best way for you also takes a bit of time too. Getting the dash set up with the info you want takes some fiddling, since we are all different.

I dislike the broad brush critisim that the interface or buttons don't work well, although I understand this might be the case if you only have the car for a short time.

I accidentally pressed the heated steeering wheel button. This happened once. I changed my steering grip and got over it. We all need to make adjustments when driving different cars. 

What I'd like to do is stick a huge volume knob on the reviewers' iphones and see how they get on!

The buttonless cockpit seems to rely on the fact that you'll have set most things up before moving off. The working assumption of VW designers seems to be you'll use the steering wheel controls to adjust anything else while on the move. 

If you actually use it this way then it's fine. If you have voice commands then you can talk to the car and get it to do quite a few things without needing to press a button. That's assuming it's in the mood of course, if it's having a sulky day then you can go whistle!

2 hours ago, aldfort said:

The buttonless cockpit seems to rely on the fact that you'll have set most things up before moving off. The working assumption of VW designers seems to be you'll use the steering wheel controls to adjust anything else while on the move. 

If you actually use it this way then it's fine. If you have voice commands then you can talk to the car and get it to do quite a few things without needing to press a button. That's assuming it's in the mood of course, if it's having a sulky day then you can go whistle!

I think it’s very unusable on the move (I’m excluding gesture control from that though).  Some things I always set up prior to moving off but other things I do like to change on a whim or in relation to other things and so far have not found any if it to be a problem or a distraction.  I do have a well behaved system though which is vital. 

I think you’d get used to most types of controls including having pretty much everything on a touchscreen , but it doesn’t mean that its better than an alternative, in this case physical buttons.  I’ve got used to touchscreens because I’ve had to, but in my last BMW I didn’t use the touchscreen at all because the iDrive was much better and easier/safer to use on the move.

I’ve not seen as many reviews as some, but what I have seen criticises the lack of buttons/knobs and the capacitive steering wheel controls which seems fair enough to me as even if you can use them, I doubt there are many people who think it’s better going into a touchscreen to turn off ESP, tweak the temperature etc than having a physical control.   

My car has two touchscreens, but there are quite a few benefits to that over a single screen and it still has physical controls for the functions you use regularly.