Mk8 adaptive cruise control faulty

Has anyone with a mk8 golf had any issues with the adaptive cruise control? If you set mine at 70mph and go to over take a slower moving vehicle it displays an under cutting symbol and slows down, stopping me from over taking. 

Screenshot_20210608-170258_Gallery.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I will escalate this as I’m employed within the group   rebecca, I’m glad you’re ok with the infotainment, and have been an endless supply of constructive info, but we do need them (sw side

@steve3002take a look in the vehicle settings, then headlights and scroll down this screen. There is a setting that says whether your lights are set up for left or right hand driving. If it's set up f

So, can confirm, after much testing that driving on the left is the correct setting, high beam assist, and ACC works properly when it’s selected, and the beam pattern is what it should be.  

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

How strange, it must think you’re driving on the right?

That was my thought.

There’ve been a few instances of the mk8’s Travel Assist feature interpreting UK mph speed limit signs as kph speed limits and braking the car to slow down to the kph speed, so I suppose it’s more than possible that certain other functions on UK RHD cars have been programmed for European LHD markets, such as the issue that @steve3002 is experiencing. 

@steve3002; There may be a software update to correct your undertaking / overtaking issue. 

5 hours ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

That was my thought.

There’ve been a few instances of the mk8’s Travel Assist feature interpreting UK mph speed limit signs as kph speed limits and braking the car to slow down to the kph speed, so I suppose it’s more than possible that certain other functions on UK RHD cars have been programmed for European LHD markets, such as the issue that @steve3002 is experiencing. 

@steve3002; There may be a software update to correct your undertaking / overtaking issue. 

Excuse my ignorance on this matter. What is the Travel Assist? It would be mad if the car slowed down by itself based on signage. I am driving a UK car in a km/h area and I havent experienced yet. It just keeps telling me it doesnt have data for the area and beeps.

10 hours ago, Speedy27 said:

@steve3002take a look in the vehicle settings, then headlights and scroll down this screen. There is a setting that says whether your lights are set up for left or right hand driving. If it's set up for driving on the right hand side the ACC will automatically set to this too.

I saw this the other day and (from memory) it was set to RHD.

It wouldn't let me change it to LHD which led me to believe that only a dealer could change it? 

50 minutes ago, Scudgie said:

It wouldn't let me change it to LHD which led me to believe that only a dealer could change it? 

Really?, that’s weird, mine was set to RHD also which at first I thought was correct but obviously took a second to realise we do indeed drive on the left as opposed to it being a RHD car!. Let’s me change it fine

12 hours ago, Speedy27 said:

@steve3002take a look in the vehicle settings, then headlights and scroll down this screen. There is a setting that says whether your lights are set up for left or right hand driving. If it's set up for driving on the right hand side the ACC will automatically set to this too.

1 hour ago, Scudgie said:

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Really?, that’s weird, mine was set to RHD also which at first I thought was correct but obviously took a second to realise we do indeed drive on the left as opposed to it being a RHD car!. Let’s me change it fine

Are you referring to the Travel mode settings in Headlights (in Vehicle settings)?   This is for driving abroad.  

This is what mine is showing: It doesn’t accept a change at all.  

2BC0716F-44F2-4C1E-85FF-FA415B865D5F.thumb.jpeg.ec22445a0f9d3af270eacdf7d80e40f8.jpeg

E062F717-A01C-4EF8-910D-109BD908F839.thumb.jpeg.3eef701dbef1c99c18c5da636f7e67b7.jpeg

8 hours ago, george@BMS said:

Excuse my ignorance on this matter. What is the Travel Assist? It would be mad if the car slowed down by itself based on signage. I am driving a UK car in a km/h area and I havent experienced yet. It just keeps telling me it doesnt have data for the area and beeps.

That’s my understanding of what it does - Travel Assist keeps you in your lane (using the Lane Assist feature) and can automate acceleration and braking in certain situations using the latest version of ACC.

This is from Volkswagen-newsroom.com website in relation to the latest version of ACC in the mk8 Golf;

‘ACC with predictive speed detection; The latest generation of Adaptive Cruise Control in the Golf is predictive. In this process, the system calculates the position of the car based on route and GPS data from the navigation system to lower its speed before reaching bends, roundabouts, junctions, speed limits and built up areas. At the same time, ACC accesses the Dynamic Road Sign Display via the front camera and adjusts the speed as soon as a limit has been detected’.

On some forums, owners have reported the issue of the car mistaking mph speed signs as kph speeds. So, if the car is travelling at UK motorway speed and the car ‘sees’ a speed limit sign for a reduced speed limit section of road of, say 60 mph, if it mistakenly interprets 60 mph as 60 kph, the car will brake and slow to 37 mph (the equivalent of 60kph). Seems that the car also sometimes reads reduced speed limit signs on slip roads exiting a motorway and the car slows to the slip road speed limit even when it’s not taking the slip road to leave the motorway. 

So there appear to be some software issues to be sorted by VW 🤔.

5 minutes ago, Martin2 said:

That's not clear is it, what is right hand traffic?!  In my car it's much clearer, the options are 'Drive on Left' or 'Drive on Right'!

It’s very confusing!  In UK RHD care we have traffic on the right because we drive on the left.  It should be much simpler.  

But I thought this particular setting is only for driving abroad so it would be set up on a UK car to state driving on the right (if to be used in a country where the do drive on the right) and then you’d select the appropriate one on the drop down list?  

This is what the oracle user manual, says 

4984F56C-5759-4545-888E-B095C4F836B0.thumb.jpeg.fade1999e5ee44d2c27d3a375e33c2c9.jpeg

31 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Are you referring to the Travel mode settings in Headlights (in Vehicle settings)?   This is for driving abroad.  

This is what mine is showing: It doesn’t accept a change at all.  

2BC0716F-44F2-4C1E-85FF-FA415B865D5F.thumb.jpeg.ec22445a0f9d3af270eacdf7d80e40f8.jpeg

E062F717-A01C-4EF8-910D-109BD908F839.thumb.jpeg.3eef701dbef1c99c18c5da636f7e67b7.jpeg

But isn’t that incorrect?, as surely we drive on the left, and when I changed to that it (appropriately) swivels the lights to the left a bit (as to not dazzle oncoming traffic). I had it set to right as above and would get flashed by incoming traffic especially when using high beam assist (push indicator stalk to activate), and when set to right would also get the cruise undertaking thing 

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

But isn’t that incorrect?, as surely we drive on the left, and when I changed to that it (appropriately) swivels the lights to the left a bit (as to not dazzle oncoming traffic). I had it set to right as above and would get flashed by incoming traffic especially when using high beam assist (push indicator stalk to activate), and when set to right would also get the cruise undertaking thing 

I have no idea.  I haven’t tested it and I can’t change the setting at all anyway to do so.    If we went abroad we’d be driving on the right (in most countries) which is possibly why it’s the default Travel mode setting on a UK car?   It only matters if you’re driving a RHD car in a LHD country?   It’s as clear as mud!  

Well just got into mine and sods law it had changed to driving on the right, right hand traffic. Just clicked on it and changed it to driving on the left, left hand traffic. God knows which is correct and why it changes.