My review after 4 years of ownership

9 minutes ago, Ben1191 said:

Done a little writeup on my ownership,

Enjoyed this Ben. Great, easy read.  Nowt wrong in 4 years is decent. As it should be. 🤞

shame that roads and traffic served to curb your enjoyment - I guess I’m lucky further North where I can have miles of country type B and C roads almost to myself, with a little care. 

Cant wait to learn what replaces the R in your life?

4 minutes ago, NRW said:

Enjoyed this Ben. Great, easy read.  Nowt wrong in 4 years is decent. As it should be. 🤞

shame that roads and traffic served to curb your enjoyment - I guess I’m lucky further North where I can have miles of country type B and C roads almost to myself, with a little care. 

Cant wait to learn what replaces the R in your life?

Well i drive my van 5 days a week so i bought a new discovery sport for the wife, if i was gonna buy an suv it had to have a little off road ability as i cant stand suvs that are basically giant cars and useless off road, i toyed with the idea of a 2016 land cruiser for a long time, in the end i decided that although its way more capable than the disco id unlikely use it to its full capability so didn't want to sacrifice the beautiful cabin and looks in the disco for ability i may never use. 

So a fairly boring car for now, i have the money saved for a 981 cayman gt4 and thats really what ive been dreaming of, but ill wait a bit for a time where ill be getting more use out of it.

Great potted history of your car and write up Ben.  And very nicely presented with the pics etc.  It’s always good to read long term owners reviews.  A shame you’ve sold it but things change and needs change and I hope you enjoy the replacement.  

It’s also great to read that you’ve enjoyed this forum.  All the best with the next motoring chapter and here’s to you getting into a Cayman in the future!  🍻 

A Discovery? Practicality wins through.  Cayman a very nice bit of kit. 

Aside. A woman near us has an Evoque - nice looker, high up the range etc, but she couldn’t get it off her sloping drive when it was icy.   I haven’t yet had the heart (or opportunity) to assist her to learn the first thing about her vehicles capabilities. 

Good luck for the future Ben. Stay safe. 👍

5 minutes ago, NRW said:

A Discovery? Practicality wins through.  Cayman a very nice bit of kit. 

Aside. A woman near us has an Evoque - nice looker, high up the range etc, but she couldn’t get it off her sloping drive when it was icy.   I haven’t yet had the heart (or opportunity) to assist her to learn the first thing about her vehicles capabilities. 

Good luck for the future Ben. Stay safe. 👍

Ice is a dangerous game for anything unless youve got studded tyres, my disco does have an off road assisted start function that will get you moving on mud/snow/ice from a standstill so maybe hers does too.

Not a fan of the evoque personally, the interior room is dire and im not keen on the styling either. The disco sports got 7 seats, the rear legroom and boot is about tripple the size of the golf too and seemed best in class.

As you can imagine i had a really long list including the mk1 touareg when looking for a replacement, the discos lovely though as long as it doesnt start playing up 😄

Nice right up.

Youll probably miss the incredible bang for buck as everything is so darned expensive over and above a Golf.

Re the brakes I have Tarox 8 pots but 360mm discs. These callipers are aluminium and ultra light hence one reason I bought them but I don’t know of any other 8 pot brakes that fit?

GT4’s are rising in value so I’d get in quick if you can….great car.

Maybe one day 🤔

19 hours ago, Msportman said:

Nice right up.

Youll probably miss the incredible bang for buck as everything is so darned expensive over and above a Golf.

Re the brakes I have Tarox 8 pots but 360mm discs. These callipers are aluminium and ultra light hence one reason I bought them but I don’t know of any other 8 pot brakes that fit?

GT4’s are rising in value so I’d get in quick if you can….great car.

Maybe one day 🤔

Ive been watching the prices on gt4's last year or 2 and they did start rising until they released the 4.0 718 i think, they've definitely come down in price either way.

4 hours ago, Ben1191 said:

Ive been watching the prices on gt4's last year or 2 and they did start rising until they released the 4.0 718 i think, they've definitely come down in price either way.

Last time I looked the cheapest 981 GT4’s started at £69-70k.

Vwry strong residuals.

Most have hardly been used since bought looking at their very low mileages. I often wonder about owning a car and being afraid of putting miles on it as many owners of exotic cars are the same. They just don’t seem to use them through fear of putting miles on.

I recently hit 40k in my R and started to think should I sell now or keep it and sell 60k concerned about age and miles but in reality my 5 year old car should be sitting at 60k now so it’s still relatively low miles.

Like a good low manual R8 I don’t think the GT4 will ever dip much below £50k if you don’t pile on the miles.