What software and hardware version does your R have?

Wrex

I was going to ask about this as my car does get over the air updates, but they must be minor as the version showing in the car is still the same as the one it came from the factory with which is 1898.  Now I haven't encountered any issues or bugs with my car at all since getting it, but I do acknowledge that since receiving it back in Aug 2022 I have only done just shy of 5k in it.

Do these updates offer any new functionality that I'm missing out on or am I just best sticking with what I have got since everything seems to just work.

Weirdly when it was going in for a service the person on the phone said she could see it had to updates pending that I could install myself, but the car doesn't seem to think I'm missing anything :)

6 hours ago, ne0star said:

I was going to ask about this as my car does get over the air updates, but they must be minor as the version showing in the car is still the same as the one it came from the factory with which is 1898.  Now I haven't encountered any issues or bugs with my car at all since getting it, but I do acknowledge that since receiving it back in Aug 2022 I have only done just shy of 5k in it.

Do these updates offer any new functionality that I'm missing out on or am I just best sticking with what I have got since everything seems to just work.

Weirdly when it was going in for a service the person on the phone said she could see it had to updates pending that I could install myself, but the car doesn't seem to think I'm missing anything :)

If you're issue free, for heavens sake don't touch it! 😜

On a more serious tone, no there hasn't really been any new functionality. VW are still trying to fix issues. So unless you need an update to fix something, best to keep as you are. 1898 is still fairly recent anyway.

9 hours ago, ne0star said:

Since buying my car second hand back in july '23, it has had about 10 updates i think 😆

It has been relatively trouble free, compared to others though. And the issues it did have, seem to have been solved by the updates.

It's now to a point were it's 99% trouble free, so i've put it in incognito mode in fear of introducing trouble via software updates. 

If it ain't broke, don't fix it 😁

9 hours ago, ne0star said:

There are minor OTA updates that occurs fairly regularly and these are for things such as user manual, shop, legal updates.  These are not system software updates and will not alter the software versions.  Then there are system software updates that are significant ones and will change the software version in the system info.  Some owners have had a couple or more of these system software updates available OTA and there are usually 3 steps to action them fully, so quite different to the minor non system updates that takes seconds and run seemlessly in the background.  The last system software update that was available officially OTA was 1941 version and a number of owners had that.  I had it on mine but as my car was going into the dealer on the day it popped up, I just got them to do it.  It’s a tricky one with these system updates as it’s tempting not to do them if you’re not experiencing any issues but as we all know that can change even after a number of years on a seemingly trouble free software version.  

I’m on 1896 at roughly 9k km and 18 months

except for 4-5 incidents of info screen cycling then going black

I can’t fault it for anything

(some greyed out buttons or driving mode not showing details properly happened, usually when I don’t let it upload quietly)

I may track it soon, then we’ll see what happens 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I am on software version 1896 and hardware version h56.

My car is with the dealers next week, can i just ask them to update the version? Is there a cost for this work?

My infotainment system suffers from sporadic reboots. I can't seem to get any OTA updates to move away from 1896. 

3 hours ago, Nes said:

My car is with the dealers next week, can i just ask them to update the version? Is there a cost for this work?

My infotainment system suffers from sporadic reboots. I can't seem to get any OTA updates to move away from 1896. 

You can ask them to perform the update, but i got charged 100 euro once. Best to ask in advance.

3 hours ago, Nes said:

No harm in asking and I’d definitely report that reboot issue.  I had a regular infotainment system reboots happening and the update from 1899 (and 1986 before that) to 1941 resolved the infotainment the issue.   My dealership have never charged for any software updates as most were done to address issues reported (and under warranty).  My car so far has gone from 1788 to 1890 to 1896 to 1899 to 1941 all done at dealership no cost.  1941 came through as an OTA update but my car was in the dealership for another matter so they just did whilst car was in.