Clubsport S brake disc upgrade - worth it or not?

Hi all,

Just a question for those who have done it, are the Clubsport S two piece discs worth upgrading to? I have ordered some MTEC 'J Hook' discs but tempted to send back and go for the Clubsport S brake discs if it is a worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks in advance! 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having tried lots of brake combinations on this and my previous R.and Gti On my previous R I opted for ebc drilled and grooved discs with yellow stuff pads. Discs bells rusted pretty quickly and the

I have just changed to DS2500 and have no bad words to say at all.     Great bit of information there! Cheers.

I’ve in the process of fitting my Racingline stage 2 brake kit, If I’m happy then I’ll be listing my clubsport discs and Racingline RP700 pads and Hel braided hoses in classifieds. All purchased new b

I had Clubsport S discs, DS2500 pads and Goodridge braided brake lines on my R. A great setup - improved the feel and braking no end. Individual components make a modicum of difference but various components together make a significantly better set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You might (rightly) get some replies saying that drilled discs crack. This is certainly true of some but I believe that due to the drilling process or heat treatment, I don’t believe it’s an issue on the Clubsport S discs. I certainly never had any issues with mine.

I also upgraded to the front Clubsport S discs and pads and found it a good little upgrade in terms of some improved braking with oem feel (not night and day but a reasonable improvement) and better aesthetics, again keeping that oem look. The aluminium bells will not rust like the oem rears but still do need protecting from corrosion.  

I’ve in the process of fitting my Racingline stage 2 brake kit,
If I’m happy then I’ll be listing my clubsport discs and Racingline RP700 pads and Hel braided hoses in classifieds.
All purchased new by me in March this year and done approx 2000 miles so fantastic condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I upgraded to Clubsport discs & pads and found that the feel and modularity of the brakes was improved over the standard set up. Not by a huge amount, and this is normal road use, not track, but I certainly felt it was worth it. I needed new fronts anyway so I felt the price difference vs stock was worth a punt. And I’m glad I did

10 hours ago, marshy said:

I’ve in the process of fitting my Racingline stage 2 brake kit,
If I’m happy then I’ll be listing my clubsport discs and Racingline RP700 pads and Hel braided hoses in classifieds.
All purchased new by me in March this year and done approx 2000 miles so fantastic condition.

Looking forward to your feedback on the difference between the two.

Looking forward to your feedback on the difference between the two.

Only done about 10 miles but the difference in pedal feel is huge!
I do think initial bite with my clubsport setup was stronger but after that the Racingline kit is much much stronger.
Having used the Porsche Macan calipers previously I can confirm these are quite a bit stronger to them.
Obviously I need to get some miles on them but so far I’m very happy.

Thanks for the replies guys, think I am going to go for the clubsport discs.

2 hours ago, Azza said:

Do you track your car? Do you think clubsport upgrade would be enough for fast road at Stage 2? Just budgeting ahead and want genuine opinions from experience.

I tracked my car with stock brake setup but yellow stuff pads and grooved discs, held up really well until the end of the day when the pads fried 😆 I don't rate EBC brakes personally at all, i think with DS2500 or Pagid race pads it would've been more than fine especially on the road. Personally think they are fine for stage 2 as well. BBK doesn't necessarily mean it will stop faster, just will massively reduce brake fade so that's why it is good to have them for tracking.

Nice improvement over the factory brakes, but ultimately I think the R needs bigger brakes up front.

I'd do it again, but next brake upgrade will be to the TTS calipers I think.

The standard brakes are a bit cack tbh but the Clubsport S, 2500 and Goodridge hoses were a good fast road set up. I’ve heard mixed reports about yellow stuff pads but the majority seem to be bad for track use. The 2500 is a track pad so not strictly legal for road use but I never had an issue with them.

I think the standard brakes with decent pads/discs are fine for fast road/light track work and even hard depending on what track it is. 

33 minutes ago, camelsac2002 said:

The standard brakes are a bit cack tbh but the Clubsport S, 2500 and Goodridge hoses were a good fast road set up. I’ve heard mixed reports about yellow stuff pads but the majority seem to be bad for track use. The 2500 is a track pad so not strictly legal for road use but I never had an issue with them.

I had yellows on before and have to say they were crap!