Extended Warranty or All-in policy

My car is approaching it’s 3rd birthday so is about to come out of warranty. 
What have people done about warranty cover when keeping the car?

I don’t plan on changing until I can get an 8R estate.

Extended warranty info is really hard to find on the VW site, but I have found an All-in policy that is £802.80 for 2 years which is cheaper than the price they quote for a 2 year warranty. 
I have my next 2 services paid up, wonder if they will cut a deal??

Interested to know what others have done 

2 hours ago, The Kid said:

My car is approaching it’s 3rd birthday so is about to come out of warranty. 
What have people done about warranty cover when keeping the car?

I don’t plan on changing until I can get an 8R estate.

Extended warranty info is really hard to find on the VW site, but I have found an All-in policy that is £802.80 for 2 years which is cheaper than the price they quote for a 2 year warranty. 
I have my next 2 services paid up, wonder if they will cut a deal??

Interested to know what others have done 

I took out the VW Extended Warranty once my factory warranty had run out, and then renewed it every year thereafter until I sold the car earlier this year.  The cost of the annual VW Extended Warranty was £277 with £100 excess for All Component Cover. At that price it’s good value for money I think and for peace of mind.  It paid fir itself a few times over as I had the water pump/thermostat housing replaced last year under the extended warranty.  The price is often based on the loyalty as my buyer also had a quote for an annual VW Extended Warranty which was higher than the cost I’d been paying for it each year.  VW normally contact you when the factory warranty is due to run out and then you can get a quote.  

The All In seems almost too good to be true. I can’t find any catch with it and will certainly be taking this up when mine reaches 3 years.  I will cancel the Service Plan I have in place at present in preference All In.

11 hours ago, Booth11 said:

I took out the VW Extended Warranty once my factory warranty had run out, and then renewed it every year thereafter until I sold the car earlier this year.  The cost of the annual VW Extended Warranty was £277 with £100 excess for All Component Cover. At that price it’s good value for money I think and for peace of mind.  It paid fir itself a few times over as I had the water pump/thermostat housing replaced last year under the extended warranty.  The price is often based on the loyalty as my buyer also had a quote for an annual VW Extended Warranty which was higher than the cost I’d been paying for it each year.  VW normally contact you when the factory warranty is due to run out and then you can get a quote.  

Thanks. Less than a month to go so hopefully they will be in touch soon. My dealer offered a warranty with them for £450/year. 

So the £833 VW quote for 2 years may be a bit steep compared to what you paid. 

5 hours ago, The Kid said:

Thanks. Less than a month to go so hopefully they will be in touch soon. My dealer offered a warranty with them for £450/year. 

But it also comes with 2 services and 2 mot’s and 2 year break down cover

6 hours ago, The Kid said:

Yes quite a difference but I do know that continuous membership can reduce the price a lot.   Was the 2 year warranty your dealer quoted (at £450/year) just for the standard Extended Warranty as opposed to the quote you got for the new VW All- in warranty?  As you already have the next 2 services paid for the All-in would be duplication in that area (although the bonus of breakdown service included)unless, as you say, you could come to some deal.  

Have you’ve been on the VW website and got a quote for the standard Extended Warranty?  https://insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/extended-warranty.  Might also be worth phoning VW up and getting a quote over the phone. 

I have an extended warranty with VW which covers all components with no excess and costs £344 a year. 

I like the idea of the all in policy but as I only renewed last month I assume my 2016 car will be too old for the all in policy next year.

1 hour ago, Bigmike said:

But it also comes with 2 services and 2 mot’s and 2 year break down cover

It’s good value if you’ve not already bought a service plan, otherwise you’re paying twice for the service element of what’s offered in the ‘All-in’ product. 

Also, as the All-in product is for two years, anyone thinking of buying it needs to consider how long they’re likely to keep their car as it seems you can only cancel it during the first 14 days (normal cooling off period as required under consumer law), provided you’ve not used any of the features offered under the product. There is the option to transfer ownership of the product to the new owner if you sell your car, and that might be attractive to new owner, but you still need to pay for the product in full.

Link to the terms and conditions of the All-in warranty product below - not easy to find on VW’s website! 

https://customer.vwfs.co.uk/content/dam/bluelabel/valid/www-vwfs-co-uk/documents/VW_Warranty–Terms_and_Conditions.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/07/2021 at 08:07, Booth11 said:

Yes quite a difference but I do know that continuous membership can reduce the price a lot.   Was the 2 year warranty your dealer quoted (at £450/year) just for the standard Extended Warranty as opposed to the quote you got for the new VW All- in warranty?  As you already have the next 2 services paid for the All-in would be duplication in that area (although the bonus of breakdown service included)unless, as you say, you could come to some deal.  

Have you’ve been on the VW website and got a quote for the standard Extended Warranty?  https://insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/extended-warranty.  Might also be worth phoning VW up and getting a quote over the phone. 

Thanks for this. I could not find info on extended warranty. Strangely my car comes up as no product available, will give them a bell as the stealership is all over me to get booked in

6 hours ago, The Kid said:

Thanks for this. I could not find info on extended warranty.

If it’s the conventional VW extended warranty and not the ‘All in’ product you were wanting information on, here you go;

https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/extended-warranty#online-documents

https://www.insurewithvolkswagen.co.uk/media/1141/36530_vw_extended-warranty_mar21_nav_v1-3.pdf

Wish I saw that All-In policy last year, seems like a good option since I have neither breakdown cover or a service plan. My faith in my R and VW is unyielding...

I took out the slightly lower version of Extended Warranty (Components Only?) as it seemed to cover all the bits I was most concerned about - i.e. the engine and electrics. I'd always want it under warranty. So far this year I haven't had to use it yet, but at ~£270 it doesn't feel like a waste of money for the peace of mind I get. I probably spend more than £270 on random s**t I buy off Amazon over the year anyway so Warranty and peace of mind is good value by comparison.

Seat also offer the All-in warranty, service plan, breakdown recovery and MOT product and I read an interesting post on a Seat forum earlier today (by forum member @tronads on that forum). For a vehicle to be eligible for the All-in product, it has to be subjected to an eligibility inspection by the dealer (same for VW). From the Seat forum member’s experience, any recommended optional work that hasn’t been carried out - e.g. air con service - needs to be done before the vehicle is eligible for cover. I’m assuming that Seat’s stance in relation to overdue ‘optional’ work will be common across all VAG brands offering the All-in product.

I dare say many of us have refused the VW air con service (I have) on the basis of ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. Those that have, it seems it would be necessary to have this carried out by VW before the All-in product can be purchased - assuming VW’s approach to eligibility is the same as Seat’s. Also, presumably it would be necessary to have an air con service carried out if one becomes due during the duration of the All-in product, even though it’s a recommended service action, rather than a required one. 

The relevant part of the Seat forum member’s post referred to above is reproduced below;

First thing I will say is that when the Seat website says the vehicle inspection will take 25 minutes, its a bit of a stretch. I was waiting 2 hours for mine, a third of which was taken up doing all the forms.
My vehicle has had all the services at the recommended intervals and all at the local Seat main dealer, so no problems there with the eligibility. However, at the 3 year service, and the 4 year service, I have been told "your aircon is due a top up", which was optional, and given the aircon works perfectly, and my mileage is well below average, I have declined this optional up sale.
This however came back to bite me when trying to sign up for this deal. The dealer said my car had passed all the checks, but they refused to accept me onto the plan until I got the "optional" work done.

I bought my 2016 R Estate in January this year from a Volvo dealership, full VW history but Volvo serviced it ~6 months early. I got it just under 40k and now am just over, so knew it was due a DSG service so booked it in for this and a minor just to keep it within VWs service history. I'd also been looking at 3rd party warranty's - Volvos 6 month warranty had just ended, and it was too old to go for a VW extended (by my understanding?) so seeing this All-in that was was illegible for was brilliant news. Dropped it off mid morning for the service and inspection, everything was OK, collection mid afternoon and filled in a form with my payment info and signed to agree to the policy the service rep and boom, done. Couldn't have been more simple. Its great to have the piece of mind, and feels like incredible value.

10 hours ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

Seat also offer the All-in warranty, service plan, breakdown recovery and MOT product and I read an interesting post on a Seat forum earlier today (by forum member @tronads on that forum). For a vehicle to be eligible for the All-in product, it has to be subjected to an eligibility inspection by the dealer (same for VW). From the Seat forum member’s experience, any recommended optional work that hasn’t been carried out - e.g. air con service - needs to be done before the vehicle is eligible for cover. I’m assuming that Seat’s stance in relation to overdue ‘optional’ work will be common across all VAG brands offering the All-in product.

I dare say many of us have refused the VW air con service (I have) on the basis of ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’. Those that have, it seems it would be necessary to have this carried out by VW before the All-in product can be purchased - assuming VW’s approach to eligibility is the same as Seat’s. Also, presumably it would be necessary to have an air con service carried out if one becomes due during the duration of the All-in product, even though it’s a recommended service action, rather than a required one. 

The relevant part of the Seat forum member’s post referred to above is reproduced below;

First thing I will say is that when the Seat website says the vehicle inspection will take 25 minutes, its a bit of a stretch. I was waiting 2 hours for mine, a third of which was taken up doing all the forms.
My vehicle has had all the services at the recommended intervals and all at the local Seat main dealer, so no problems there with the eligibility. However, at the 3 year service, and the 4 year service, I have been told "your aircon is due a top up", which was optional, and given the aircon works perfectly, and my mileage is well below average, I have declined this optional up sale.
This however came back to bite me when trying to sign up for this deal. The dealer said my car had passed all the checks, but they refused to accept me onto the plan until I got the "optional" work done.

Interesting, thanks for pointing that out. And yes - like many of us here - I've also refused VW's overpriced "air con" optional service. Bit sneaky of them to link the All-In plan to also doing these optional things. I suppose they must have a good profit margin on that air con service.