Pedal box and Winter wheels/tyres

As Tiguan R's are starting to get more owners has anyone tried a Pedal box yet? had them on both my R estates and made a huge difference, my car is still at order stage 2 so won't be with me for a while. Similarly has anyone considered  a winter wheel tyre set up? obviously need to clear the brakes so not sure on smallest wheel size, in some markets 20" is standard (20 x 8.5 ET38 with 255 40 20 tyres) so considering at set of BBS in the same size with winter tyres, anyone done similar?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been pondering the winter wheel/tyre issue myself. Not keen on having the tyres taken on/off the estorils too often I was thinking perhaps a set of 20” rims from the R-line was the way to go. But then I remembered the TPMS and not sure how that would work if fitting new rims. I guess it would need a set of new sensors/valves but not sure if they would just link to existing software. So now thinking maybe just swap the tyres. Would be interested in others’ experience. 

1 hour ago, DSarge said:

Would be interested in others’ experience. 

Think about a set of - say - CM Alloys.  You choose your preferred style. 

18 inch. 8.5 width.  Et 45 fort me on a 7.5. Unsure of perfect Offset needed on Mk8R. 

Fit  a set of 235:40:18 Winter or All Season (Cross Climate+?). 

This will Maintain almost the exact rolling radius of 19” rims with 235:35 Tyres. 

No. I’m not a guru. I bought my set from another Member ion here. He did the research and graft for me

Ta @Rob306. 😀

Yes, sensor on each wheel is standard spec. for Tiguan R. An option on other models. It gives the tyre pressure reading for each wheel so is a bit more advanced than the golf system which just compared rolling circumference of all tyres. 

OK, thank you, I'm planning on a set of BBS XR wheels with winter tyres so imagine I'll also need a second set of sensors, just need to find out now if the sensors need any kind of setting up or do they auto detect?? 

NRW - No problem! 

Simonj67 - that’s the bit I’ve been wondering too. If I fitted a new set of sensors to some other wheels would they automatically ‘talk’ to the car and display on the infotainment system without any jiggery pokery. Please keep us posted if you manage to find anything out. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, DSarge said:

NRW - No problem! 

Simonj67 - that’s the bit I’ve been wondering too. If I fitted a new set of sensors to some other wheels would they automatically ‘talk’ to the car and display on the infotainment system without any jiggery pokery. Please keep us posted if you manage to find anything out. Thanks. 

Will do, spoke the VW today to get the part number/price for the sensors - this number 5q0907275 keeps coming up online for 2021 Tiguan but want to double check, BBS also list what sensors have been tested and work with there wheels: https://bbs.com/pdfs/gutachten/RDKS Listen/BBS-RDKS-Zuordnungsliste_MW_06-04-2021_final.pdf

Everything I'm reading also suggests that all you do is fit the sensors then drive over 16mph and they self learn.

I'll probably order the sensors then send 1 off to whoever has the BBS in stock to check they fit before I commit to buying the wheels.

Thanks for that. Sounds a good plan. Did VW give you a price for the sensors? As an option they are priced at £160/£165 I think but don’t know how that relates to buying when not part of a vehicle order. 

On 30/07/2021 at 08:11, simonj67 said:

OK, thank you, I'm planning on a set of BBS XR wheels with winter tyres so imagine I'll also need a second set of sensors, just need to find out now if the sensors need any kind of setting up or do they auto detect?? 

Auto detect as long as they are the correct type/frequency.   I've had a couple of cars with proper TPMS and winter wheels and not had any issues when swapping them over. 

You should be able to buy genuine VW sensors for less than the dealer wants, but there may be different ones so you'll need to double check. 

I think this is the one, but please double check!

Part number: 5Q0907275F which I found here...... https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_2021_Tiguan/Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-Sensor/96955915/5Q0907275F.html

Looks like a standard VAG part as it's listed for anything from the Tiguan to a Bentley and only £70-80 for a set of 4.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=5Q0907275F&_sacat=0

• 3 months later...

Finally resolved my winter tyre issue by getting a set of R-line misano alloys and putting winter tyres onto them. Had to get a set of TPMS valves - easily sourced through dealer - and these seem to work fine by just automatically ‘talking’ to the car. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Current Donation Goals