Waxes, sealants etc

I've spent the afternoon cleaning the R. Rinse (jetwash), snow, clean with microfiber mitt, rinse  dry off with microfibre, korrosol and then? Then I used my old staple,  autoglym super resin polish. What are my autoglym replacement options at that stage?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your options appear endless, sorry but there are so many of these products available now (and new ones coming out every month it seems), finding one that suits you can be 'try it and see'.  You'l

Your options appear endless, sorry but there are so many of these products available now (and new ones coming out every month it seems), finding one that suits you can be 'try it and see'. 

You'll get a few differing recommendations here..........I use Autobrite Ceramic Magiseal,  apply using foam lance then rinse off, lasts around four months before needing applying again.

Personally, I like the convenience and longevity of SiO2 based products. My current favourite is Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax. It gives a very deep wet look that reminds me of wax but has been shown in real world tests to be capable of up to a year so easily does a few months, after which you would be re-applying anyway. However, note that I am applying in an off label way. I don't spray and rinse with it. If it appeals (and at about £18 from Amazon or Halfords, it really should!) then watch this video for the first few minutes to see the best way to apply. If you just use this method once every couple of months, the bottle will last many years! You could do a spray and rinse if in a rush but I'd say apply as per the video on the roof and save spray 'n' rinse for below window line as you don't want streaks of it on the glass. That tip applies for all spray and rinse products like Wetcoat, HydrO2 etc.

Thanks for the responses - yes,  a very open question. To clarify, it looks like there are sealers, and then waxes applied after those, some even coloured. I.e. my one step Autoglym approach has been replaced by a two step approach. That said, both you guys have suggested just the one product.

JohnSW did you mean to link a video?

30 minutes ago, Millsn said:

Thanks for the responses - yes,  a very open question. To clarify, it looks like there are sealers, and then waxes applied after those, some even coloured. I.e. my one step Autoglym approach has been replaced by a two step approach. That said, both you guys have suggested just the one product.

As above responses there are endless choices out there so best to have a think about what it is you want any product to do.  Autoglym SRP is a 3-in-1 product combining a very mild polish (to refine); a glaze (for shine but no protection) and a sealant (for protection).  Tbh it’s not particularly good at any of those functions compared to individual dedicated products and is of its time really.  You don’t necessarily need to replace it with multiple products as you’ll not miss out if you choose wisely.  

If you’re simply looking for a product to protect then it’s down to deciding on either a coating, a sealant (si02 based most likely) or a wax (be it carnauba, or synthetic hybrid).  You can of course use sealant and wax together but you’re best off matching products that share the same chemical base as each other to ensure best bonding which will in turn improve durability and longevity.  For instance, adding a carnauba wax on top of a nano sealant won’t give you the best bond and the latter will be shortlived.  Choosing a sealant or coating that is designed to work in harmony with say a quick detailer will enable you to prolong the life of the base sealant with QD top ups offering sacrificial last stage protection (LSP).  

Coloured waxes can deepen some paint colours which can give a lovely finish but sometimes coloured waxes can knock back metallic flake (ime) compared to non coloured waxes.  

Nano sealants don’t give as much depth as wax but can be longer lasting depending on what you choose, and can provide great shine.  Wet application sealants such as Gyeon WetCoat (spray or wipe on and pressure wash off) are good, easy to use products that afford reasonable protection and water repellency, but not as long lasting as some sealants.  There’s lots out there!   So have a think about exactly what you want from a product. 

17 minutes ago, Millsn said:

Definitely looking for wet look shine. Tbh,  the easier the better. That way it'll get used more often.

You could try a gloss enhancing shampoo like Zaino Z7 show car wash or Stjarnagloss Bubblor high gloss car wash.I use both of these with good results.Also when you come to dry try using a quich detailed to give extra gloss like Meguires Last Touch or Labocosmetica Perfecta.

These are just a few examples,there are others out there and are easy to use to achieve a wet look.

It also depends on what condition your paint is in.

On 26/07/2021 at 20:29, Millsn said:

Um, oops, yes! You don't need to watch it all but the first few mins show what I mean by the off label application. It takes a bit longer but not very long because you are buffing instantly after application. Just don't let it dry on. If you do, just apply more over the top and you'll be OK.

It's the one thing I put on the Golf that made it look as deep as after putting on a wax. 

There are many easy products that fulfil the criteria of a month or two. The Meguiars product I talked about easily does that. Turtle Wax Hybrid Hydrophobic Sealant Wax (Seal 'n' Shine outside the UK) is another easy peasy product that should give 3-6 months. I think the Meguiars looks better on the car but that may be placebo because it costs twice as much!

Either will keep you happy. I will also echo what Rebecca said about Autoglym SRP. It's correcting, filling and protecting all in one. It's decent at the first two but the protection is not very long lasting. They make a dedicated product to put on after SRP (Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection) but I don't know if it's any good. Personally, I'd rather use something like Angelwax Perfect Polish for a light correction/panel clean-up (only if required), wipe down with panel wipe then apply a dedicated last stage protection.

If you want an oldie but goodie product to give guaranteed dripping wet look and about a months protection, and is super easy to apply and buff off, then Chemical Guys Butter Wet Wax is worth a look.  https://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/chemical-guys-butter-wet-wax

It really does give an amazing wet look super shine (made my mk6 gti look like the paint was almost molten) and as a liquid wax is so easy to apply by hand or with a DA.  A great summer wax!   

In my time detailing, what I have learnt is don't buy too many products - a) missus will never forgive you b) can be a mindfield and you end up with stuff that sits around for ages. Less is more.

If possible, stay with one brand as normally the products all work together.

Personally, I don't want to be waxing my car every one / two months. Therefore I use collinite 845. Main reasons, its easy to apply, easy to get off (a little goes a long way). Now when I last waxed my car I used poorboys diamond white sealant (after iron x the paintwork), then applied collinite 845 over the top. When I next wash the car, I plan to put on another layer of wax (collinite 845 again), and this should be fine for easily 4 months. I quite possibly may add another layer october time, tha will get me through winter when I strip the wax off, and iron x etc again (possibly clay).

I only iron x the bodywork once a year. Same with tar remover.

I do have Soft 99 fusso wax to use which lasts up to 12 months, I haven't used this yet so can't comment on it, I'm trying to use my old stuff before using the new stuff.

1 hour ago, gazza5 said:

In my time detailing, what I have learnt is don't buy too many products - a) missus will never forgive you b) can be a mindfield and you end up with stuff that sits around for ages. Less is more.

If possible, stay with one brand as normally the products all work together.

Personally, I don't want to be waxing my car every one / two months. Therefore I use collinite 845. Main reasons, its easy to apply, easy to get off (a little goes a long way). Now when I last waxed my car I used poorboys diamond white sealant (after iron x the paintwork), then applied collinite 845 over the top. When I next wash the car, I plan to put on another layer of wax (collinite 845 again), and this should be fine for easily 4 months. I quite possibly may add another layer october time, tha will get me through winter when I strip the wax off, and iron x etc again (possibly clay).

I only iron x the bodywork once a year. Same with tar remover.

I do have Soft 99 fusso wax to use which lasts up to 12 months, I haven't used this yet so can't comment on it, I'm trying to use my old stuff before using the new stuff.

I admire your self control :D

I mentioned a while back in another thread.. I used to be tempted by cheap / bulk products.. 5 litres seemed like such a bargain.. Now I see the value in quality (not necessarily expensive..). Am a big fan of bilt hamber and gyeon products. I do try now to only try different products when am close to running out of old stuff.. for a time I would regularly spend £100 on a CYC order - always felt like I needed to spend big to make the postage worthwhile..  Now I have found that polishedandwaxed.co.uk is 30 seconds walk from my house for odds and ends.. and I have a Gyeon distributer 20 mins drive from me.. I guess you guys are in a different position, most places have "free UK delivery" which excludes Northern Ireland now post brexit... 

Collonite is one I used a while back - lasted me for ages, fantastic bang for buck and great results!