Struggles to start after a day or two undriven.

Hey people!

My car sometimes struggles to start after a day or sometimes around 8 hours of being switched off? I have had a dash cam fitted in properly at halfords and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this or not? It worries me as I have had the car around 3 months now. Do you think I should take it back to Halfords and get them to check the fitting of the dash cam?

thanks all

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Goosed battery.

Great thank you very much for the help

I replaced the one on our gtd and my R with these. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bosch-car-battery-S5A08-start-stop-12V-70Ah-760A-/393067283013?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m2548.l6249&

20 minutes ago, seanMK7R said:

Hey people!

My car sometimes struggles to start after a day or sometimes around 8 hours of being switched off? I have had a dash cam fitted in properly at halfords and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with this or not? It worries me as I have had the car around 3 months now. Do you think I should take it back to Halfords and get them to check the fitting of the dash cam?

thanks all

As Clarkie says.  

How many miles on the car?  The original oem batteries are pretty poor in terms of lifespan.  Mine died at 17k miles.   The dashcam could have a bearing - is it hardwired in for parking mode?  If it’s drawing in the battery until voltage limit safety shut off (to protect car battery) it could well be having an impact if the battery is getting low on a regular basis and then being recharged.  I think that may well have been a factor in my battery dying.  

1 minute ago, Booth11 said:

As Clarkie says.  

How many miles on the car?  The original oem batteries are pretty poor in terms of lifespan.  Mine died at 17k miles.   The dashcam could have a bearing - is it hardwired in for parking mode?  If it’s drawing in the battery until voltage limit safety shut off (to protect car battery) it could well be having an impact if the battery is getting low on a regular basis and then being recharged.  I think that may well have been a factor in my battery dying.  

My milage is currently 35120 , yeah the dash cam has been hardwired in, by parkmode do you mean that it comes in if it detects movement? if so, then I believe it does! Would a battery be covered under a dealership warranty? 

1 minute ago, seanMK7R said:

My milage is currently 35120 , yeah the dash cam has been hardwired in, by parkmode do you mean that it comes in if it detects movement? if so, then I believe it does! Would a battery be covered under a dealership warranty? 

Yes detects movement when parked.  If it’s hard wired in then it’ll have parking mode. 

Are you under the original factory warranty?  Mine was replaced under factory warranty (I didn’t mention the dash cam) after an overnight test to confirm it was bad. 

3 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Yes detects movement when parked.  If it’s hard wired in then it’ll have parking mode. 

Are you under the original factory warranty?  Mine was replaced under factory warranty (I didn’t mention the dash cam) after an overnight test to confirm it was bad. 

I don't believe that I do have original warranty, is there anyway of checking this? The dealer didn't mention it

Just now, seanMK7R said:

I don't believe that I do have original warranty, is there anyway of checking this? The dealer didn't mention it

How old is the car?  Factory warranty lasts 3 years from new.   Sounds like you bought it used from a dealership, so if out of factory warranty, was there a warranty provided as part of the used sale?   

1 minute ago, Booth11 said:

How old is the car?  Factory warranty lasts 3 years from new.   Sounds like you bought it used from a dealership, so if out of factory warranty, was there a warranty provided as part of the used sale?   

The car is 65 plate. I took out a 36 month extended warranty with the dealership. I will have a re-read through the documents and see if that will be covered, but to be honest I know what they can be like when it comes to fixing things under warranty... Anyway they can get out of it, they will.

6 minutes ago, seanMK7R said:

The car is 65 plate. I took out a 36 month extended warranty with the dealership. I will have a re-read through the documents and see if that will be covered, but to be honest I know what they can be like when it comes to fixing things under warranty... Anyway they can get out of it, they will.

Same age as my recently departed mk7.  Have a look at your documents but I doubt the battery will be covered as it wasn’t in my various VW extended warranties and that was with all component cover. It’ll be a wear and tear item.  Still worth having the extended warranty though, mine covers the cost of coolant water pump and thermostat housing failure which is another all too common problem.  

12 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Same age as my recently departed mk7.  Have a look at your documents but I doubt the battery will be covered as it wasn’t in my various VW extended warranties and that was with all component cover. It’ll be a wear and tear item.  Still worth having the extended warranty though, mine covers the cost of coolant water pump and thermostat housing failure which is another all too common problem.  

Ah well never mind I guess! That's very true! I went on halfords and euro car parts, they came up £112 and £300 respectively. Would you recommend the latter?

2 minutes ago, seanMK7R said:

Ah well never mind I guess! That's very true! I went on halfords and euro car parts, they came up £112 and £300 respectively. Would you recommend the latter?

Have a read of some of the threads on replacement batteries.  The oem ones are EFB which are not the best.  If you’re paying for replacement yourself you might as well get a better AGM type.  There’s a few threads here with recommendations in.  

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/34223-best-battery/

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/33207-car-battery/

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/31413-typical-mk7-r-battery-life/

4 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Have a read of some of the threads on replacement batteries.  The oem ones are EFB which are not the best.  If you’re paying for replacement yourself you might as well get a better AGM type.  There’s a few threads here with recommendations in.  

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/34223-best-battery/

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/33207-car-battery/

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/31413-typical-mk7-r-battery-life/

Great thank you very much for the help :)

I'd be checking for parasitic drain on the battery when the car is switched off.  The aftermarket dashcam is the prime suspect.

Car batteries get damaged (lose capacity) if they are kept at a low charge level.  A new battery may help for a while, but it too could get damaged after a while if not kept fully charged.

21 hours ago, Booth11 said:

How many miles on the car?  The original oem batteries are pretty poor in terms of lifespan.  Mine died at 17k miles.

Either I'm lucky or they changed the OEM battery they put in for 66-plate MK7s - because I'm at 40k miles and it's been fine. Though my dashcam is just plugged into the 12v socket. Maybe these batteries were not built for all the new tech you can hard-wire into cars now. Or...they're just rubbish from factory.