I had a look at this but can’t really make up my mind whether I’m sold on the looks. On the face of it, it seems like it’ll be a great performer - so much so that I looked at what one would cost through a broker. Turns out that one with options would be no more than £2k more new than what I paid for my 440i secondhand. Once you dig a little deeper though, I can’t help thinking that I wouldn’t have one. It’s based on the three/four series chassis for a start - it’s just got shorter body dimensions. The weight difference is only about 100 kilos less than mine so performance would only be slightly better than mine - but I think the boot space would be smaller and the interior would probably feel more cramped - then, of course, there’s the wait for a brand new car so on balance, I won’t be selling mine for this just yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree I think 300-400bhp is more than enough for a road car. I spoke to somebody recently at a track event with a G80 M3 (2WD) and he’s well on to demolishing his 2nd pad set. He said

I’ve only watched one review and that was Joe A, so pinch of salt required as it’s a BMW, but it seemed to hide the weight well.  No surprise is close to the M440i as it’s very similar underneath, but

I fear the weight issue is only going to get worse as we'll all eventually have to move to electric vehicles. 😞

Posted Images

It's a lot better looking than the 4 series at the front, worse at the rear and about the same from the side as they both suffer from too much metalwork / bulk over the rear wheel.   I'd definitely have one over a 440i, but that's mainly due to the looks as I think the 4 would make a better daily, but it's all academic as neither would work for us because they are too small in the back.   If my eldest kids won't fit, I might as well buy a 911. 😀

Having said all that and whatever you think of the looks/badge/anything else, isn't it great that BMW are still producing small RWD coupes with a 6 cylinder engine!

Would much rather save a boat load of cash and get an older M240i or even the M235i. 

A shame they didn’t offer xdrive on the previous gen which is the plus point for this model, but my god it’s revolting to look at the front is genuinely one of the worst I have ever seen and the back isn’t much better. 

So yea as above in my opinion would much rather have the older model and cash in my pocket. 

22 hours ago, Martin2 said:

It's a lot better looking than the 4 series at the front, worse at the rear and about the same from the side as they both suffer from too much metalwork / bulk over the rear wheel.   I'd definitely have one over a 440i, but that's mainly due to the looks as I think the 4 would make a better daily, but it's all academic as neither would work for us because they are too small in the back.   If my eldest kids won't fit, I might as well buy a 911. 😀

Having said all that and whatever you think of the looks/badge/anything else, isn't it great that BMW are still producing small RWD coupes with a 6 cylinder engine!

Unfortunately, the M240 is xdrive only. Only the lesser models are RWD.

I like the front end, looks better than the rabbit tooth thing a few other BMW's seem to have at the moment. The rear isn't as nice as the old one but not a bad looking car overall. 

• 2 months later...

I am looking at one of these loosely … as had an M240i convertible and currently an X3 M40i … 

I like the look in black as it hides a lot of the rear.  Not cheap though and I don’t fancy the long wait time atm ! 

It is either one of these or a new R … I think … 😂

I have kept my X3 longer than most of my cars though … quick and spacious … plus nowt wrong (famous last words) .

I bet the new 240 with x drive will be an awesome performer at least to legal limits where an M2 3 or 4 would sail past …which is meaningless to me as I wouldn’t use the extra power at that speed.

The Xdrive certainly isn’t as sophisticated in these models compared to the new G80 M3/4’s and M5 Comps. 
The power plant is what will be a big draw but like has been said there’s only so much oomph you need.

I really like the silky smooth BMW

engine and box but I’d rather go for the 340 or 440 for the extra space. 

I suspect this nee model is close to £50k.??

Im waiting until next year to sell my

7R as its getting older and hopefully it will tie in with delivery of my new car.

I think it might be one of those that looks better in person... but its already growing on me - faster than the new m3/4 noses did, although even on those i am coming around to it (again they look better in person imho).

Is it much narrower than the 3/4?  If so, thats where I would opt for the 2... cars are getting too big and down backroads, a nice narrow car helps enjoy the road with "the clench" as some day dreamer comes the other way around a bend over the centreline pushing you to the verge...

Lets be honest, the performance differences between most of these cars is fairly meaningless these days - up to the speed limit there is barely anything in it so its probably more about price, comfort, practicality and having a good interior... and these days - delivery timeframes!!!!

15 hours ago, keano said:

I think it might be one of those that looks better in person... but its already growing on me - faster than the new m3/4 noses did, although even on those i am coming around to it (again they look better in person imho).

Is it much narrower than the 3/4?  If so, thats where I would opt for the 2... cars are getting too big and down backroads, a nice narrow car helps enjoy the road with "the clench" as some day dreamer comes the other way around a bend over the centreline pushing you to the verge...

Lets be honest, the performance differences between most of these cars is fairly meaningless these days - up to the speed limit there is barely anything in it so its probably more about price, comfort, practicality and having a good interior... and these days - delivery timeframes!!!!

I agree

I think 300-400bhp is more than enough for a road car.

I spoke to somebody recently at a track event with a G80 M3 (2WD) and he’s well on to demolishing his 2nd pad set.

He said the car is so ballisticbut  it weighs so much stopping it is an issue especially at places like Silverstone and Thruxton. It eats pads and tyres for breakfast as well as fuel. (Between 9-12 on track)

Very costly to run as a daily despite what Joe Achilles says these cars are the preserve for the super rich or running through a business.

I watch his vids on these M- cars  and how good he portrays these cars are but as his channel has grown I think he gets very favourable YouTube deals from his mate Tony Lewis at Berry BMW.

Ok for him and probable over seas expenses paid but for many normal people these new breed of cars are so expensive.

A nice used M2 Comp or M240 is easily quick enough hence is a bog standard MK7 Golf R or PP GTI / Clubsport.

Anything much over 400bhp is a waste for road use I d rather save the money.

As for GTR’s they’re on another level! 😭

• 2 weeks later...

I agree
I think 300-400bhp is more than enough for a road car.
I spoke to somebody recently at a track event with a G80 M3 (2WD) and he’s well on to demolishing his 2nd pad set.
He said the car is so ballisticbut  it weighs so much stopping it is an issue especially at places like Silverstone and Thruxton. It eats pads and tyres for breakfast as well as fuel. (Between 9-12 on track)

Very costly to run as a daily despite what Joe Achilles says these cars are the preserve for the super rich or running through a business.

I watch his vids on these M- cars  and how good he portrays these cars are but as his channel has grown I think he gets very favourable YouTube deals from his mate Tony Lewis at Berry BMW.
Ok for him and probable over seas expenses paid but for many normal people these new breed of cars are so expensive.

A nice used M2 Comp or M240 is easily quick enough hence is a bog standard MK7 Golf R or PP GTI / Clubsport.

Anything much over 400bhp is a waste for road use I d rather save the money.

As for GTR’s they’re on another level!

We’ve been down this road in other threads and I agree with you completely. Whilst my 440 is 1.8 tons, the 400 or so BHP it puts out is ample for it, especially with the boost from the electric motor. The M3 and 4 are just too much for a daily car, especially with rwd. Mine seems to be the sweet spot for performance and economy, especially with the cold and frosty weather starting to take hold. The difference between Sport Plus and Eco Pro is huge which suits me Eco Pro for bimbling around town and going to work and Sport modes for the occasional blast. I don’t use the other modes tbh!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk