How to get better MPG

Hey guys,

So I got myself a 66 Golf R Night Blue Ghosted! Love it but gone from BMW 420 MSPORT DIESEL! My MPG ain’t the same lol! 

ive ready a few tips! Best I got is 36.3 and that was 12 miles of urban and some motorway! That’s my work trip 24 miles there and back! Any tips to increase - I bought some REDEX too lol!

A6C5BF82-C017-4DE6-A6EF-959F33A9FDB6.jpeg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

VW sell a MPG enhancer which may help. 👍

For me I realised I shouldn't be bothered because it was taking away from my enjoyment of the car. My priorities were wrong when I was bothered. Obsessing over the mpg took concentration / was distrac

I think you're still too focused on fuel economy, like I was for a short time. It can be economical by snail crawling - sure you'll get maybe an extra 50 miles out of a tank, but what's the point? It

Posted Images

Welcome to the forum @Timmymeads. I dare say most R owners will place a higher priority on performance than fuel economy. 36 mpg sounds pretty good IMO but might not seem it when you’ve been used to diesel economy.

Enjoy your R, drive it as it’s intended to be driven and don’t worry too much about your mpg. 

Welcome along! 

Mpg is not usually the R drivers primary concern, as performance is the driver, and tend to think if it matters that much to someone then it’s likely the wrong car for them.

That said, if you’ve enough time to search for a few forum mpg threads (just type ‘vwroc mpg’ into google) of which there are many over the years, you’ll find that some R owners achieve pretty impressive mpg figures.  So it can be done!  Quite how I don’t know as I was never able to reach the same heights in my mk7 R (but my mk8 R returns better mpg).

But really to fully enjoy the car, you need to get accustomed to having a reasonably close relationship with the petrol station.  

Car looks lovely btw.  😎

9 hours ago, Trekkkie said:

Leave it in Eco, don’t use the cruise control, tread lightly on the right pedal, anticipate road ahead and brake as little as possible.

other than that, keep tyres up to pressure, don’t carry large boxes of stuff in the back, run with half tank of fuel or less etc.

or just drive and don’t worry about it too much

Thanks mate - Yes I have been doing this also, ECO makes a difference like! How many miles you get out a tank?

9 hours ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

Welcome to the forum @Timmymeads. I dare say most R owners will place a higher priority on performance than fuel economy. 36 mpg sounds pretty good IMO but might not seem it when you’ve been used to diesel economy.

Enjoy your R, drive it as it’s intended to be driven and don’t worry too much about your mpg. 

Yes not to bad is it 36.3! I really want to get 40+ what’s the best you got? 

Nice R @Timmymeads. I do think of all the cosmetic mods people do, black trim (badges etc.) is the best one. I saw a properly murdered out R once - Deep Pearl Black, black trim, extra tints on front and rear windows and I'm sure the stock Prets were darker. Looked like a shadow. Bit too far though. Your one looks just right.

MPG is one of those things that you have to accept and compromise on. I got into an R after driving a 1.4TFSI A3 - it was a company car so I wasn't gentle with it, but even ragging it down to its very soul I still got better MPG than driving my R moderately. So it was a shock for me at first, but you'll get used to it. My MPG ranges a lot on my R but rarely see higher than 40mpg, usually 33 to 35 on a normal drive of a bit of motorway, A-roads, traffic etc. Sometimes around 28mpg if I'm crawling through traffic. I've stopped checking though, just occasionally as I'm curious for this forum :) 

Can't say if Redex helps but when I switched to Shell V-Power I'm sure there has been a slight improvement in fuel economy. Previously I was putting in Tesco Momentum. A good high RON fuel will make more of a difference than fuel additives, IMO.

I

10 minutes ago, Ignition1 said:

A good high RON fuel will make more of a difference than fuel additives, IMO.

+1.  Also ensuring you have fresh filters and oil will help with the efficiency no end.  The EA888's are pretty robust in how much abuse/tuning they can take but they do like to be babied too, fresh lubes and filters keep everything on point and keep the big bills at bay. 

I usually see low 20's from mine but on a recent trip to Cornwall I borked at seeing an indicated 42MPG trip average , which is impressive for 2+2 and a boot full of luggage.  That was in sports mode with ACC set to NSL and a steady flow of traffic.  It's certainly not the norm though as I'm usually visiting the petrol station every 200-250 miles..

I was nerdy enough to look back at my first few posts in this forum back in 2016, as that's when I was still ballin' in me A3.

image.thumb.png.2bb7fad945c5ded0ef58faceb4f53cac.png

So there you go - a pokey 1.4TFSI A3 - that even ran on 2 cylinders sometimes - wasn't actually much better than the R in traffic. Compared to the A3 to my experience today with my R:

In London / heavy traffic - A3: 25mpg, R: 20mpg

Motorway doing 70mph - A3: 50, R: 38

Motorway doing 80mph - A3: 40, R: 34

It looks like a big difference - average of 40mpg in the A3 (440 mile tank), 30mpg in the R (330 mile tank). Extra 110miles assuming both have a 50 litre tank, which is about £18 of extra V-Power at £1.50 a litre. If you don't put a full tank of fuel in every month, maybe twice a month, we're talking about an extra £30 of fuel spend a month give or take. It's not bank breaking. Cut out a pub visit or an impulse buy off Amazon and you'll be spending the same ;) 

it always confuses me the opinion if someone drives a performance car that they shouldnt be bothered about MPG.... I guess some folks have more money to spend at the petrol station than others...... 🤷‍♂️

Anywho, i quite often drive in Eco, as my commute is generally 40-60mph single carriage way with moderate traffic, so seems little point using more fuel for no gain. On my 13 mile commute to work i average mid to high 30's, which i think is reasonable for the type of vehicle.

Unless you are doing motorway miles and keeping it at sub 70mph, i dont believe you will see over 40mpg easily.

I usually get 320-340 miles from a tank. I have my first track day soon, so will be interesting to see how much that drops by!

The running costs of the R are quite reasonable for the performance return (plus the everyday usability), but equally if its pushing your budget, it might not be the car for you!

The 7 speed DSG gives better mpg than the 6 speed you have.

Tbh I don't really worry about the mpg, I keep track of it, but its not my main concern.

At the moment I get between 28 and 34 mpg to work depending on traffic.

When winter comes this will be anywhere between 18 (lowest I got last year in the snow) and 26 mpg. Again with the 7 speed dcg - and driving in eco to and from work.

Might be worthwhile as you don't know how the car has been treated in the past running some redex through or equivalant, I think esso supreme has no ethanol at all (I'm tryng that on saturday for a long motorway run).

14 hours ago, Timmymeads said:

ive ready a few tips!

The best tip I can give you is change the menu so you can't see MPG, and never look back.

I couldn't even tell you what mine is as I have disabled it. Best decision I ever made. When I could see MPG on the middle screen I would obsess over it. Soon as I switched it off and put speed gauge on there instead, I could relax and started to enjoy the car :)