How to get better MPG

23 hours ago, Ignition1 said:

Would love see a photo of your RAM next to your R to compare size. I've seen a few imported pick-ups around in the UK and it makes our road widths look tiny. 

I always assumed - wrongly - that a diesel in any pick-up in the US would have huge displacements, but a 3 litre V6 turbo is similar to here. The VW Amarok pick-up in the UK has a 3.0 V6 diesel, and it's quick.

Mil, you're thinking of 3/4 ton+ pickups with diesel engines in the 6.0-7.0 liter range.  They look similar to half-tons but are built for heavier service and, when lavishly equipped, cost a small fortune ($80K and up is no longer unusual and a few are topping $100K).  Power ratings are also ascending, approaching 500hp and 1000 ft lbs of torque.  Meanwhile, gas engines in pickups of weight range half-ton or greater tend to be V8s in the 5.0 to 6.5 liter range, although smaller base four and six cylinder engines are offered.  Ford recently introduced a 7.3 liter V8 for its higher weight ranges and pushes highly tuned 2.7 and 3.5 V6s in the half-tons.  None of these matches diesel fuel economy or towing prowess.   Let me work on getting you a side-by-side image of the RAM and R.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

VW sell a MPG enhancer which may help. 👍

For me I realised I shouldn't be bothered because it was taking away from my enjoyment of the car. My priorities were wrong when I was bothered. Obsessing over the mpg took concentration / was distrac

I think you're still too focused on fuel economy, like I was for a short time. It can be economical by snail crawling - sure you'll get maybe an extra 50 miles out of a tank, but what's the point? It

Posted Images

On 15/09/2021 at 00:48, Ignition1 said:

. If VW went all out - twin turbo, bore out to 2.5 litres, AWD, 5 cylinders etc. They could get it to 300hp and an insane amount of torque. I'd be tempted personally.

VW did make a 5cyl 2.5L PD TDI engine (I had one in my LWB T5 Transporter van).  But it didn't have anything like 300hp.  IIRC mine was the most powerful variant at 174hp and 400Nm of torque, and it moved along the open road quite well for a big van.  I imagine it might be a bit scary with 300hp to play with (handling wasn't it's strong point, lots of load space was).

it can turn off 6 of its 8 cylinders, when cruising at constant speed on the highway, it would still be a truck and weigh like one, though :-)

But if I had to drive a 7.3L engine, I’d like there to be AMG written on it, and for it to be installed in an Italian piece of art (attached pic).

821e84e3e51ac97806771bd1fa28bea8.jpg

23 hours ago, Ignition1 said:

I don't think there is any way of improving MPG from that, other than keeping it turned off 😂

That 7.3 liter gas V-8 I referred to is for Ford pickups with 3/4 ton capacity or greater.  They are not optimized for mileage and would struggle to reach 12mpg - those are "small" US gallons.  Expect barely half that when towing a trailer.  Heavy-weight pickup customers more often bite the financial bullet and go the diesel route for stamina, longevity and somewhat better mileage. 

On 14/09/2021 at 10:48, Ignition1 said:

Would love see a photo of your RAM next to your R to compare size. I've seen a few imported pick-ups around in the UK and it makes our road widths look tiny. 

Not a very good photo but the best I can do at the moment.

IMG_2957.JPG

On 20/09/2021 at 00:52, Cogito said:

IMG_2957.JPG

Love the picture of the Ram. Miss driving BIG American vehicles(well not actually American😉)

Last drove one end of 2019, Nissan Armada I think it was, with a big V8 👍🏻 Was absolutely huge compared to what we had at home at the time(little mini) Think that did around 10 US mpg

FACE2CD1-DBAA-4666-9820-E42316E71E72.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/09/2021 at 20:46, Timmymeads said:

Hey guys,

So I got myself a 66 Golf R Night Blue Ghosted! Love it but gone from BMW 420 MSPORT DIESEL! My MPG ain’t the same lol! 

ive ready a few tips! Best I got is 36.3 and that was 12 miles of urban and some motorway! That’s my work trip 24 miles there and back! Any tips to increase - I bought some REDEX too lol!

A6C5BF82-C017-4DE6-A6EF-959F33A9FDB6.jpeg

Managed just over 45mpg in my 7.5/310bhp three weeks ago on a 35 ml trip a mixture of  A roads and 20 mile on the M6 normally mid thirties though.

A7857453-260B-404E-BDCF-5AF2146D0800.jpeg

On 20/09/2021 at 00:52, Cogito said:

IMG_2957.JPG

Thanks, great photo to see the difference. A few years ago I had an opportunity to work temporarily in the US, but unfortunately had to decline. Though I always wondered if I imported my R over from the UK, how it would look against a big pickup. You could probably fit two R's into the space that RAM takes :)