New mk8 Detail & Ceramic

I thought I'd share my experience of 'new car prep' with new motor. I picked it up unwashed and unloved.. lots of bird crap, sticker residue and all sorts of junk (despite looking ok in the photos below, it was pretty bad).

51464003068_159317a72d_k.jpg

51465075268_ad75a726c0_k.jpg

51464694715_9c0205556a_k.jpg

Snow foam first, 2 doses of bilt hamber's finest:

51463753726_1e486333e5_k.jpg

Wheels first.. I used my pump foam sprayer and some KKD Brakeaway, the medium wheel brush from Gyeon worked really well - apart from beside the front callipers - they were too close to the wheel to get in, for this area I switched to my small ez detail brush. Used a soft detailing brush for round the nuts, nooks and crannies.. microfibre mitt for everything else & a scrubbing brush for the wheels with some Gyeon Tyre cleaner. 

51462986187_567e67a2ca_k.jpg

I followed Gyeon's advice and washed the car with washing up liquid (it felt wrong...), then used Gyeon Iron all over - not much reaction to it anywhere that I could see, hard to tell on black. Then used some valet pro - citrus tar and glue remover for the glue residue spots - most of which were along the sills and on the windscreen. 

A further wash and then dried - mostly with my blo air S hand held drier. Then mopped up with a double twisted loom towel. 

Into the garage and taped up the rubbers, I was skeptical of the benefits of this - but very worthwhile time investment!

51464002753_5c13d0227a_k.jpg

The last few times I've polished cars - I had all the lights in my garage on. This time around - I found huge benefits in having a couple of spot lights just pointed towards the walls, then using my £15 aliexpress spot torch (brilliant thing!) to check the paint. My 3 x 5 foot LED batons were a bit of a waste, less defused light is better... although I found the baton light better for wiping off the ceramic residue further on in the process.

I found quite a lot of marring in various places - the rear spoiler was particularly bad - the black plastics looked grey with holograms:

51464693800_eb7b7f706b_k.jpg

Some scratches... 

51462994582_dc246841a3_k.jpg

Got cracking with Gyeon primer - it has a light cut and lays down a silicon based primer later, the cut was enough to clear 99% of any marks on the paint. Chasing perfection took about 8 hours on Monday (I took Monday and Tuesday off work...). Am not sure I'd be a profitable detailer - none of the jobs are quick! 

Same spot as above after polishing;

51462994267_458154f511_k.jpg

Bonnet was probably the worst of the metal panels, which is odd - I thought they were transported with covers over the bonnet... must be wrong.. anyway - looks better now! The paint was particularly rough - grabby when you run the back of your fingers over it.. after polishing - slick and smooth;

51463758591_6e48e17316_k.jpg

Some parts of the panels had weird looking residue on them, possibly due to the fairy liquid :) it all polished away nicely though;

51464001873_cbd773d396_k.jpg

I finished the polishing late on the Monday evening, left it over night (as per instructions) and then gave the panels a light wipe down with Gyeon prep to remove any dust. Then I set about laying down the ceramic... 1 layer of Gyeon Mohs first - got the whole car done in about 1 + 1/2 hours.. Waited an hour (roughly) then started on the second coat. Mohs is one to watch - you can't wait too long to buff off or it gets harder to get off. I went through 2 new cloths per layer (seems a shame to sacrifice brand new cloths to the bin after such brief use - but a necessary evil!). 

By the time I'd finished the second coat - it was time for kids football training, so I started the last layer (Gyeon Skin) about 6 hours after I'd finished the 2nd Mohs layer. Even after the 2 x Mohs layers - the gloss and shine looked amazing.

Skin is amazing stuff.. it goes on and bubbles weirdly on the paint, it then buffs off so easily - much easier than Mohs. If I didn't think the gloss couldn't be improved - it really did, I was blown away with the difference after skin going on. 

51462991317_3f1f16d521_k.jpg

The next day I went and borrowed axle stands and a torque wrench.. I was back at work - so the wheels needed to wait till the evening.. Jacked one side of the car up and put the axle stands in - removed both wheels and gave them a wash again (they were covered in dust and some break dust from the short journey into the garage);

51462991252_574fd8dbd4_k.jpg

Brought them indoors and then gave them a twice over with Gyeon prep - there were some spots of oiliness behind the spoke after washing. I used a nano polisher to clear some light scratches in the black gloss parts - impossible to get them perfect though. Nobody is going to be on their hands and knees with a torch inspecting your wheels (apart from you!) 

Then I started with Gyeon RIM.. this was my least favourite process, although I followed some advice I saw on YouTube and cut a foam wax applicator into 4, 1 for each coat (bearing in mind I was doing 2 wheels with 2 coats - so 4 sessions of coating). The foam lets you get into tough corners and is much easier to handle than the suede squares that come with the coating. The suede and block are good for the barrels. 

Again - a good light is vital, without a good spotlight - it would be easy to miss the high spots, once they dry - they're hard to remove without polishing. Yet again - discarding 1 towel after each coat for each pair, so 4 towels in total. RIM is much thicker than the other coatings, goes on thick and is tackier when buffing. I split the wheel into 4 sections and sometimes that was too much - need to be quick to get buffing to make sure it's not a nightmare. 1st coat needs 4 hours to cure before doing the second coat. I was able to do 2 wheels on Wednesday, then finished the other 2 wheels by Friday. 

In between coats - I put some RIM on the brake callipers and on the exhaust tips - 2 x coats each.

My wife did think I was taking the piss when I brought the wheels inside :D worth it tho! Great to get the coating on these early - I was shocked by the number of fine scratches on them with them being brand new.

51462989242_5080a23d18_k.jpg

Wheels back on and then another sleep to cure... Saturday morning then was my least favourite bit.. GLASS! multiple runs with prep and then fast glass - eventually got all the smears away.. Then Gyeon Quickview - I really rate this product, easy applicator and buffs off nicely.. The hydrophobicity is better than anything I've used before (including the g-technic products). 

Gyeon Tyre express applied and then fitted the aliexpress footrest, cill protectors and black mirror caps;

51465943123_1a24b0e29f_k.jpg

51465696021_e3b4fc5fe5_k.jpg

The mirror caps were easier than I thought! 

The finished product...

51464004273_6c638d0a90_k.jpg

51462994412_6535b49196_k.jpg

51462990287_de693d4238_k.jpg

It's hard to have a brand new car in the garage for 5 days.. am sure a pro could do it in 2 or 3 days.. The price of the kit and products I've bought over the last years I could have paid a professional to do it for me.. so satisfying to do myself though.. I learnt a lot - especially with the products and coatings I'd not used before, it was a bit stressful working in a cramped garage with numerous damage hazards.. It's amazing how long everything takes twice as long as expected.. Am looking forward to washing it in 2 weeks and seeing how it performs then..

Some crazy beading this morning;

51462990177_a831393e58_k.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I'd share my experience of 'new car prep' with new motor. I picked it up unwashed and unloved.. lots of bird crap, sticker residue and all sorts of junk (despite looking ok in the photos bel

@Peter Wynne Superb work Peter.  Looks absolutely sensational!  Well worth the time and effort.  😎

I envy you for your patience and tenacity I’d be tires after 2 hours and call a pro to do it Amazing outcome … time well-spent

2 hours ago, Peter Wynne said:

I thought I'd share my experience of 'new car prep' with new motor. I picked it up unwashed and unloved.. lots of bird crap, sticker residue and all sorts of junk (despite looking ok in the photos below, it was pretty bad).

51464003068_159317a72d_k.jpg

51465075268_ad75a726c0_k.jpg

51464694715_9c0205556a_k.jpg

Snow foam first, 2 doses of bilt hamber's finest:

51463753726_1e486333e5_k.jpg

Wheels first.. I used my pump foam sprayer and some KKD Brakeaway, the medium wheel brush from Gyeon worked really well - apart from beside the front callipers - they were too close to the wheel to get in, for this area I switched to my small ez detail brush. Used a soft detailing brush for round the nuts, nooks and crannies.. microfibre mitt for everything else & a scrubbing brush for the wheels with some Gyeon Tyre cleaner. 

51462986187_567e67a2ca_k.jpg

I followed Gyeon's advice and washed the car with washing up liquid (it felt wrong...), then used Gyeon Iron all over - not much reaction to it anywhere that I could see, hard to tell on black. Then used some valet pro - citrus tar and glue remover for the glue residue spots - most of which were along the sills and on the windscreen. 

A further wash and then dried - mostly with my blo air S hand held drier. Then mopped up with a double twisted loom towel. 

Into the garage and taped up the rubbers, I was skeptical of the benefits of this - but very worthwhile time investment!

51464002753_5c13d0227a_k.jpg

The last few times I've polished cars - I had all the lights in my garage on. This time around - I found huge benefits in having a couple of spot lights just pointed towards the walls, then using my £15 aliexpress spot torch (brilliant thing!) to check the paint. My 3 x 5 foot LED batons were a bit of a waste, less defused light is better... although I found the baton light better for wiping off the ceramic residue further on in the process.

I found quite a lot of marring in various places - the rear spoiler was particularly bad - the black plastics looked grey with holograms:

51464693800_eb7b7f706b_k.jpg

Some scratches... 

51462994582_dc246841a3_k.jpg

Got cracking with Gyeon primer - it has a light cut and lays down a silicon based primer later, the cut was enough to clear 99% of any marks on the paint. Chasing perfection took about 8 hours on Monday (I took Monday and Tuesday off work...). Am not sure I'd be a profitable detailer - none of the jobs are quick! 

Same spot as above after polishing;

51462994267_458154f511_k.jpg

Bonnet was probably the worst of the metal panels, which is odd - I thought they were transported with covers over the bonnet... must be wrong.. anyway - looks better now! The paint was particularly rough - grabby when you run the back of your fingers over it.. after polishing - slick and smooth;

51463758591_6e48e17316_k.jpg

Some parts of the panels had weird looking residue on them, possibly due to the fairy liquid :) it all polished away nicely though;

51464001873_cbd773d396_k.jpg

I finished the polishing late on the Monday evening, left it over night (as per instructions) and then gave the panels a light wipe down with Gyeon prep to remove any dust. Then I set about laying down the ceramic... 1 layer of Gyeon Mohs first - got the whole car done in about 1 + 1/2 hours.. Waited an hour (roughly) then started on the second coat. Mohs is one to watch - you can't wait too long to buff off or it gets harder to get off. I went through 2 new cloths per layer (seems a shame to sacrifice brand new cloths to the bin after such brief use - but a necessary evil!). 

By the time I'd finished the second coat - it was time for kids football training, so I started the last layer (Gyeon Skin) about 6 hours after I'd finished the 2nd Mohs layer. Even after the 2 x Mohs layers - the gloss and shine looked amazing.

Skin is amazing stuff.. it goes on and bubbles weirdly on the paint, it then buffs off so easily - much easier than Mohs. If I didn't think the gloss couldn't be improved - it really did, I was blown away with the difference after skin going on. 

51462991317_3f1f16d521_k.jpg

The next day I went and borrowed axle stands and a torque wrench.. I was back at work - so the wheels needed to wait till the evening.. Jacked one side of the car up and put the axle stands in - removed both wheels and gave them a wash again (they were covered in dust and some break dust from the short journey into the garage);

51462991252_574fd8dbd4_k.jpg

Brought them indoors and then gave them a twice over with Gyeon prep - there were some spots of oiliness behind the spoke after washing. I used a nano polisher to clear some light scratches in the black gloss parts - impossible to get them perfect though. Nobody is going to be on their hands and knees with a torch inspecting your wheels (apart from you!) 

Then I started with Gyeon RIM.. this was my least favourite process, although I followed some advice I saw on YouTube and cut a foam wax applicator into 4, 1 for each coat (bearing in mind I was doing 2 wheels with 2 coats - so 4 sessions of coating). The foam lets you get into tough corners and is much easier to handle than the suede squares that come with the coating. The suede and block are good for the barrels. 

Again - a good light is vital, without a good spotlight - it would be easy to miss the high spots, once they dry - they're hard to remove without polishing. Yet again - discarding 1 towel after each coat for each pair, so 4 towels in total. RIM is much thicker than the other coatings, goes on thick and is tackier when buffing. I split the wheel into 4 sections and sometimes that was too much - need to be quick to get buffing to make sure it's not a nightmare. 1st coat needs 4 hours to cure before doing the second coat. I was able to do 2 wheels on Wednesday, then finished the other 2 wheels by Friday. 

In between coats - I put some RIM on the brake callipers and on the exhaust tips - 2 x coats each.

My wife did think I was taking the piss when I brought the wheels inside :D worth it tho! Great to get the coating on these early - I was shocked by the number of fine scratches on them with them being brand new.

51462989242_5080a23d18_k.jpg

Wheels back on and then another sleep to cure... Saturday morning then was my least favourite bit.. GLASS! multiple runs with prep and then fast glass - eventually got all the smears away.. Then Gyeon Quickview - I really rate this product, easy applicator and buffs off nicely.. The hydrophobicity is better than anything I've used before (including the g-technic products). 

Gyeon Tyre express applied and then fitted the aliexpress footrest, cill protectors and black mirror caps;

51465943123_1a24b0e29f_k.jpg

51465696021_e3b4fc5fe5_k.jpg

The mirror caps were easier than I thought! 

The finished product...

51464004273_6c638d0a90_k.jpg

51462994412_6535b49196_k.jpg

51462990287_de693d4238_k.jpg

It's hard to have a brand new car in the garage for 5 days.. am sure a pro could do it in 2 or 3 days.. The price of the kit and products I've bought over the last years I could have paid a professional to do it for me.. so satisfying to do myself though.. I learnt a lot - especially with the products and coatings I'd not used before, it was a bit stressful working in a cramped garage with numerous damage hazards.. It's amazing how long everything takes twice as long as expected.. Am looking forward to washing it in 2 weeks and seeing how it performs then..

Some crazy beading this morning;

51462990177_a831393e58_k.jpg

Cracking write up with brilliant results.😎

Just wait till you try and snow foam it,it won’t stay on for long.

great write up, way more patience than me, and like others, I would of taken one look at the instructions, and driven to a pro.

Tbh, if my estate is a keeper, I may treat it one day to a professional job, as I find I have less and less time to work onmy car now (even though I do enjoy waxing it etc, and have a broken back the next day and lots of other aches and pains).

Good work! Love a bit of Gyeon detailing. 

You don't need to throw the buffing cloths away though, stick in a waiting bucket of strong mix washing up liquid and water and when you're finished stick into washer wet. This doesn't give the coatings any chance to dry, let alone cure so the cloths come out like new. 

Let me know how you get on with the quick view.  I put some on the passat a few months back and then it sat in garage for a good while before being used again (around 2 months iirc) and the wipers judder terribly when it rains. 

I've yet to try it on anything else yet! 

Re the Rim, I find I can easily coat a wheel inside and out and buff it off without having to split into sections. I find it the longest of all the coatings for flashing off. 

If you've not already get some wet coat and some cure. 

Use the cure on the rims to extend the coatings.  Wet coat for top ups to hydrophobics when the skin starts getting a little clogged.....or bathe+.

4 hours ago, jrw said:

Let me know how you get on with the quick view.  I put some on the passat a few months back and then it sat in garage for a good while before being used again (around 2 months iirc) and the wipers judder terribly when it rains. 

I had trouble with wiper judder after putting H2Go glass treatment on my R windscreen.  A bit of 303 on the wiper blades helped, then a thin smear of graphite powder fixed it.  Neither last very long, so I have to keep re-applying (I do like the way heavier rain just blows off at speed, so I'll persist with the H2Go).