Jump to content

Must have extras? Dynaudio vs dcc vs discover nav plus


Recommended Posts

Hi there I’m still looking out for my golf R and I’ve now narrowed it down to a few essential and some nice-to-have

 

essentials

  1. dsg
  2. sunroof
  3. grey/black

nice to have

  1. dynaudio
  2. dcc
  3. discovery nav plus

 

can anyone help compare/rank the latter 3 as it’s incredibly rare to find a car that has all 3 or even 2

dcc is super rare: I’ve heard that it makes the car a bit stiffer to some

dynaudio everyone says it’s really good and makes a difference 

discovery nav plus some like it some hate the lack of dials

 

thanks!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

DCC makes a significant difference to the noise levels in the car, the wife doesn't complain about the ride when you put it in comfort mode😀.

DCC difference can definitely be felt on 19" prets, from normal to race can be felt almost instantly on little bumps, but running Bilstein shocks with DCC DynAudio is very good, the sub sounds ni

We all have different priorities with regard to spec and must have options, so there’ll be many differing views and opinions on the ‘essentials’ and ‘nice to have’ items in @pisquano’s earlier post. 

Depending on age you want to buy dsg will probably be a given as most later models were dsg.

 

Sunroof / pan roof is quite rare I think? When I was looking earlier this year there weren't many about with it, and again with the other options finding a car with them all is even rarer. 

 

Dcc should be a bit softer suspension in its comfiest setting. Some say its essential with 19s, but fine without dcc when on 18s.

 

My previous car, a 2019 Leon cupra with 19s had dcc, and now have an R with 19s and non dcc.

 

To me its not a night and day difference and they have got the setup about right without dcc on the R and perfectly acceptable with 19s. However the 19 pretoria wheels I have are like butter and Buckle easily. I found one alloy had a slight buckle after I bought it and later found out its common :(

 

I also have dynaudio and it's night and day better than the Leon which had standard audio, so would suspect similar to standard audio in golf R. Another plus with dynaudio is getting a spare wheel lol. They use the wheel as the holder for the bass speaker. In this day and age standard audio isn't awful though imo so I don't class it as essential. It's lovely to have if you can get it though.

 

Never experienced discovery plus, so don't know alot of details. Read a few comments saying its not worth the cost when specing as an option when new, but obviously that's a mute point when second hand. But is probably a rare item. 

 

I think thee difference is just a slightly bigger screen and 3d maps? But others would need to comment to confirm that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pisquano said:

Hi there I’m still looking out for my golf R and I’ve now narrowed it down to a few essential and some nice-to-have

 

essentials

  1. dsg
  2. sunroof
  3. grey/black

nice to have

  1. dynaudio
  2. dcc
  3. discovery nav plus

 

can anyone help compare/rank the latter 3 as it’s incredibly rare to find a car that has all 3 or even 2

dcc is super rare: I’ve heard that it makes the car a bit stiffer to some

dynaudio everyone says it’s really good and makes a difference 

discovery nav plus some like it some hate the lack of dials

 

thanks!!!

 

The only one of those that I had with my 7.5R was DSG. I managed to live with it for just over 3 years without any problems, though I had Discovery rather than Discovery Pro. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m in the DCC bracket. Love it and it was essential for me when purchasing. I waited long enough but eventually got one.

Also have Dynaudio. The sound is great but I’m no expert, but “Queen”and AC/DC sounds really good on it.

Can’t comment on discovery pro have discovery and have no complaints.

Big no no for me was definitely NO sunroof, especially with regular complaints of them cracking(loads of info on here and other forums).

Also had to have white as apparently the white R’s came from the factories and were much faster 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you looking for a 7 or 7.5?  Or open to either?  
 

You mention Discovery nav plus.  Assume you mean Discover Pro nav?  You mention lack of dials in relation to it?  Not sure what you mean there.  Do you mean dash dials?  If so, that’s not related to Discovery Pro or standard nav but is related to it being a 7 or a 7.5.  The former have analogue dash dials, the latter has a virtual dash and dials.  Apologies if I’m misunderstanding you.  
 

Options are very personal, so what one person would choose as essential or nice to have, another might not.   I had a few of your essentials and nice to have options on my 7R - Black, DSG, DCC, Dynaudio, Pro Nav.  Setting colour aside, if I had to narrow it down to just 3 of those I’d pick DSG, Dynaudio and DCC.  
 

DSG because I just prefer it, Dynaudio because it is a worthwhile improvement over the standard (sub in boot wheel well plus extra speakers), the DCC because I had 19 Pretorias and it just gives you that flexibility to alter the dampers - 3 settings,  Comfort, Normal and Sport.   The other things were less ‘must have’ - The Pro Nav on my mk7 came with CarPlay as part of it so that was the best part of having it (plus the larger screen), but otherwise it wasn’t a huge plus (it had a hard drive and DVD player but no great loss) and I’d have not bothered with it again.  Carplay was made standard on 7.5 even with the standard nav.  Discover Pro on the 7.5 different again so depends on what you’re looking for.  
 

As for colour, that’s hugely personal too.  Deep Black Pearl is beautiful especially when it’s clean (if you’re prepared to keep up with the cleaning) but shows dirt and swirls readily.  Grey is a little more forgiving on both scores.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pisquano said:

discovery nav plus

DCC difference can definitely be felt on 19" prets, from normal to race can be felt almost instantly on little bumps, but running Bilstein shocks with DCC

DynAudio is very good, the sub sounds nice and makes a big difference, and I honestly didn't realize the spare wheel was a result of that :P 

Not sure on standard discovery, but not having a volume knob to drop audio quickly is a pain in the rectum and no mute/pause as have searched for in previous posts, it takes 3-4 secs min, but quite good otherwise .

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

Are you looking for a 7 or 7.5?  Or open to either?  
 

You mention Discovery nav plus.  Assume you mean Discover Pro nav?  You mention lack of dials in relation to it?  Not sure what you mean there.  Do you mean dash dials?  If so, that’s not related to Discovery Pro or standard nav but is related to it being a 7 or a 7.5.  The former have analogue dash dials, the latter has a virtual dash and dials.  Apologies if I’m misunderstanding you.  
 

Options are very personal, so what one person would choose as essential or nice to have, another might not.   I had a few of your essentials and nice to have options on my 7R - Black, DSG, DCC, Dynaudio, Pro Nav.  Setting colour aside, if I had to narrow it down to just 3 of those I’d pick DSG, Dynaudio and DCC.  
 

DSG because I just prefer it, Dynaudio because it is a worthwhile improvement over the standard (sub in boot wheel well plus extra speakers), the DCC because I had 19 Pretorias and it just gives you that flexibility to alter the dampers - 3 settings,  Comfort, Normal and Sport.   The other things were less ‘must have’ - The Pro Nav on my mk7 came with CarPlay as part of it so that was the best part of having it (plus the larger screen), but otherwise it wasn’t a huge plus (it had a hard drive and DVD player but no great loss) and I’d have not bothered with it again.  Carplay was made standard on 7.5 even with the standard nav.  Discover Pro on the 7.5 different again so depends on what you’re looking for.  
 

As for colour, that’s hugely personal too.  Deep Black Pearl is beautiful especially when it’s clean (if you’re prepared to keep up with the cleaning) but shows dirt and swirls readily.  Grey is a little more forgiving on both scores.  

Thanks. I meant discovery pro having a larger screen but not having physical knobs to adjust the volume. No big deal as I’d use the steering wheel. 
thanks for the great detailed response

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pisquano said:

Thanks. I meant discovery pro having a larger screen but not having physical knobs to adjust the volume. No big deal as I’d use the steering wheel. 
thanks for the great detailed response


Ah the lack of volume knobs on the 7.5 Pro Nav. I’m with you now.  👍

 The 7.5 Pro Nav does give you dual map display, so mais on infotainment screen and in dash simultaneously. 
 

13 minutes ago, pisquano said:

As in much quieter? Even with Pretoria? That’s be huge to me 

 

I think he might have meant the lack of noise was his wife not complaining.  😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate sunroofs, they squeak and seldom get used.
So for me that would be out, or at least not a must.

DSG is a preference.
I love 6MT but today it’s nearly extinct.

Color also is a preference,
but I do love Daytona Grey

Two things I regret not getting in my S3 is the B&O sound system and the Magnetic ride suspension.
It was a huge extra $$ here (~£5k) so I didn’t,
but this time around I did order DCC & H/K.

So my suggestions would be DCC + DynaAudio,
as those two change the day to day experience.
Color is mostly visible to others, and sunroof is a bother and mostly useless. Gear is personal choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

We all have different priorities with regard to spec and must have options, so there’ll be many differing views and opinions on the ‘essentials’ and ‘nice to have’ items in @pisquano’s earlier post. 
 

I’m with @AHG on the sunroof though. I’ve not owned a car with a sunroof since the late 1990’s and it’s not something I’d want. Some models of performance mk7 / mk7.5 Golf in the US have a sunroof as standard and over time, owners on golfmk7.com forum have discussed the following issues with their sunroofs;

  • creaks and rattles and poorly fitting interior sunshade.
  • blocked sunroof drainage pipes, resulting in water ingress into the cabin and boot.
  • delamination / peeling of the top layer on the gloss black sunroof surround.
  • cracks in the sunroof surround (some owners on this forum and golfgtiforum.co.uk forum have also experienced this).
  • ’exploding’ sunroof panels where projectile stones / road debris from other vehicles have hit the glass panel at speed. 

I know there’s a natural tendency for owners to report problems, so there are no doubt many mk7 / mk7.5 owners with sunroofs who love them and haven’t had any issues. At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference, and I prefer the dark, air con cooled interior of my car without sunroof.

Link to post
Share on other sites

All three for me - but I bought brand new so wasn’t an issue! I’d say DCC is essential if the car has Pretorias plus it’s not just about comfort - the dampers adjust according to cornering so I’d say it improves handling. I like my music so ticked Dynaudio plus I wanted Discover Pro for the better satnav - so I ticked all three. Sunroof would actually put me off because of the risk of cracking and leaks plus the extra weight high up - on top of that, if you cut a hole in the roof, it’s bound to affect handling I’d say. What narked me when I briefly thought about getting a 7.5 was that dealerships had specced the Pretorias without DCC - so annoying.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...