Wheels on the 8R go round and round

As per popular demand, I’m starting this wheels thread.

You can discuss OEM wheels, modified OEM, after market, painted, dipped, coated, wrapped … or whatever you did (or want to do 🙂

Also possible to discuss tires here, as I learned several years ago that fitment between tire and rim is an important issue.

Remember:
all opinions are legitimate, and no one’s taste is wrong or right. It’s all about sharing creative ideas, technical information and personal preferences.
So let’s make sure we keep it respectful.

Fire away !

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the Estoril's suit the DBP very well😎

Let’s get a few 8Rs in this thread.   😂  Calling all owners of Lapiz, DBP and White cars - show your wheels!     For oem choice I went for the Diamond cut Estoril on my Lapiz 8R.     I w

As per popular demand, I’m starting this wheels thread.   You can discuss OEM wheels, modified OEM, after market, painted, dipped, coated, wrapped … or whatever you did (or want to do 🙂   Also

Posted Images

To start us off, I’m now driving a S3 8V with the simplest looking wheels (I like them. They are tame and elegant IMO):

0ec11ba1df8d6decd08efb4d29550a7b.jpg

I ordered Jerez with the 8R I’m waiting for, because I prefer 18s (bad roads, bad back) and I like the way it looks very much (maybe as opposed to common opinion):

3a6ea18eb0caa7a65f16feb89a66da19.jpg

In previous cars I mostly had the basic OEM wheels, and in two of them I wrapped it with black film (in hindsight maybe it’s too dark):

74dddec3242993eadba3dbd8da354e46.jpg

The only time I bought aftermarket rims was a set of MOMO Reds Drone, in grey/anthracite that were really nice (police thought so as well, got pulled over a lot, and eventually sold it because of it).

15e1b28b3e756a5b971e8fede23f4650.jpg

Personally, I think one of the best looking wheel rims ever, are the VW Pretoria used in the 7R. They just seem very sporty but still so elegant and classic:

229bff00fe7c895fd35ec6b111af7ab5.jpg

• Booth11 changed the title to Wheels on the 8R go round and round
22 minutes ago, AHG said:

all opinions are legitimate, and no one’s taste is wrong or right. It’s all about sharing creative ideas, technical information and personal preferences.
So let’s make sure we keep it respectful.

But I'm always right and others are always wrong, 'cause people always hate on Cadiz 🤬

And through my own attachment to the darn wheel I can't stand it when people do....... ok fine, I will try ;) 

But I'm always right and others are always wrong, 'cause people always hate on Cadiz 

And through my own attachment to the darn wheel I can't stand it when people do....... ok fine, I will try  

I love the Cadiz … maybe I’m just a basic guy :-)
Good thread!  [mention=29492]AHG[/mention] I’ve taken the liberty of adding “8R” to your title thread.  Just for clarity,  make clear the focus of the thread and to distinguish from other alloy threads.  

Thought it was clear as it’s in the 8R chat forum.

But as you see fit, you’re the boss :-)

I didn’t know there are other rim threads here.
22 minutes ago, AHG said:

Thought it was clear as it’s in the 8R chat forum.

But as you see fit, you’re the boss 🙂

I didn’t know there are other rim threads here.

Helps makes it clear for anyone searching etc. 👍  Never hurts to be specific to aid people. 

And back to the stars of the thread… the wheels!….

Let’s get a few 8Rs in this thread.   😂  Calling all owners of Lapiz, DBP and White cars - show your wheels!  

For oem choice I went for the Diamond cut Estoril on my Lapiz 8R.  

I was disappointed that at the time of ordering the only choices were diamond cut wheels (Jerez or Estoril) as I would have preferred powder coated wheels similar to the much beloved (by me) Pretorias.   Mainly because I just prefer the finish, but as we all know diamond cuts are prone to whiteworm (though the 3 sets I had on my previous cars ever suffered it but probably just luck), and they are easily marked (a stern look can do it 😁).  Black Estorils did later become an option, but I’m not a fan of all black wheels as imo, they can look heavy and clumpy and get lost aesthetically.  

So diamond cut Esorils it was.  I do think they suit the car very well and for me are the pick of the Mk8 Golf Performance wheel selection.  They suit a Lapiz car nicely. 

51058886217_a3d0d78e55_o.jpg

51357652535_cd362d824f_o.jpg

51443662768_fed95359f0_o.jpg

51204510723_ea90cc6888_o.jpg

51058831297_ec878b4356_o.jpg

51109327122_f9c899f4a2_o.jpg

51113201787_61be170def_o.jpg

and equally I think they suit the Deep Black Pearl and Pure White cars too. 

The Jerez I must say are starting to grow on me and also do suit the 8R.  

As recently discussed in another thread though, I think Anthracite or Gunmetal option oem Estoril would have been a great option and a shame VW didn’t offer one.  But…as @Martin2 posted up, CM Wheels do an Estoril replica in Gunmetal which would be a fantastic choice for a non oem wheel. 

https://cmwheels.com/products/19″-2021-vw-golf-r-estoril-style-wheels-gun-metal-machined/

VW-Estoril-GMF-9.jpg

Credit to @Martin2 for the pic and link above.  

I have no plans to change my current wheel and am something of a stickler for a genuine wheel, but plenty of owners may decide to swap.   What other aftermarket wheels do people think would be good choices for the 8R.  Pretorias would suit it but what else?  

8R’s are few and far between atm (stark contrast to the 7/7,5R 😂) but anyone fitted something different in terms of wheels?  Or planning to?   If so, be great to see what you’ve chosen or are thinking of choosing.   Pics and links welcome.  

And it would be great to see 8Rs of all 3 colours sporting whatever wheels they have, be they oem or otherwise, so let’s see your wheels.  😊

I like the “stern look” part, reminds me of that phrase from paddington “it’s called a hard stare” :-)

If you get 18” winter wheels (like some people do) you can get Jerez, and keep it looking OEM through all seasons :-)

Also saw someone here that accidentally got Adelaide wheels with his R, and I have to say it looked really nice on a deep black 8R (better than it does on the CS IMO).

9bb7da60420b623ea0a715849d61fabf.jpg

43 minutes ago, AHG said:

I like the “stern look” part, reminds me of that phrase from paddington “it’s called a hard stare” 🙂

If you get 18” winter wheels (like some people do) you can get Jerez, and keep it looking OEM through all seasons 🙂

Also saw someone here that accidentally got Adelaide wheels with his R, and I have to say it looked really nice (better than it does on the CS). I’ll post the pic here if I find it.

Good old Paddington.  😁

Yes Jerez as winters and Estoril for as summers is a great oem combo!  

The R with the mistakenly fitted Adelaides is in the order thread.  See this post. https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/38062-golf-mk8-r-order-thread-post-your-order-details/?do=findComment&comment=601912

@Sas0875 car which I think he was having them replaced and I’d have done exactly the same as think the Estorils look far better.  Not a fan of the Adelaides on the CS and even less so on the R but ETTO.  😊