Buying my Lease Golf R...What does the team think.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Prices are crazy at the moment. You’ll be lucky if they offer it to you under £28k. They quote you on current prices they are going for at BCA. Right now 2018 models going for £25k-£27k. Might be bett

A savvy suggestion in the current climate, and likely best advice.  R prices are very firm, which is only great for Sellers…..but they will fall, so a big drop is to be expected.

I would guess the OP is referring to PCH @Ignition1. I've had a few leases over the years, either myself or my wife, and there's a split between leasing companies who let you buy the vehicle at the en

Prices are crazy at the moment. You’ll be lucky if they offer it to you under £28k. They quote you on current prices they are going for at BCA. Right now 2018 models going for £25k-£27k. Might be better doing an informal extension if its through VWFS for 3/6 months and things may start to get better from June onwards with more new cars coming in to the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Umaar said:

Might be better doing an informal extension if its through VWFS for 3/6 months and things may start to get better from June onwards with more new cars coming in to the market.

A savvy suggestion in the current climate, and likely best advice.  R prices are very firm, which is only great for Sellers…..but they will fall, so a big drop is to be expected.

8 minutes ago, Umaar said:

Prices are crazy at the moment. You’ll be lucky if they offer it to you under £28k. They quote you on current prices they are going for at BCA. Right now 2018 models going for £25k-£27k. Might be better doing an informal extension if its through VWFS for 3/6 months and things may start to get better from June onwards with more new cars coming in to the market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No price set yet, they said I will have to wait until last 3 months of the lease, so around December I might get an offer

It still amazes me how they have gone up so much in such a short space of time, but as said there will be a big drop once the computer chip factories get back to full capacity .

My friend bought his at the end of its lease last June, a 17 plate  white 7.5 estate & he got it for £17,000 ! crazy cheap ..

I bought my 18plate from VW in march for £23,000 & they're now almost £30,000 for similar cars, which I wouldn't have wanted to pay & would have most likely leased instead.

1 hour ago, Jace said:

It still amazes me how they have gone up so much in such a short space of time, but as said there will be a big drop once the computer chip factories get back to full capacity .

My friend bought his at the end of its lease last June, a 17 plate  white 7.5 estate & he got it for £17,000 ! crazy cheap ..

I bought my 18plate from VW in march for £23,000 & they're now almost £30,000 for similar cars, which I wouldn't have wanted to pay & would have most likely leased instead.

Your mate got his car the same time as mine, I had mine 4 years - paid for it in april this year - £17,900. WBAC now offering 23500k for mine. Mad tbh.

Totally agree with extending the lease, prices are still heading upwards.

What spec have you got on the lease car? Spec's are making a difference in the market at the moment as so many Rs out there are ex-lease hence have few if any options (other than colours).

My R is one that was bought and spec'd from new (not by me, unfortunately) so is holding up very well against ex-lease alternatives as it has leather, big screen nav, pano roof, DCC, reversing camera etc. And its manual! 

Prices are at least £3k more than when I bought it last year, at least that's what I'm hoping given its for sale!

I would guess the OP is referring to PCH @Ignition1. I've had a few leases over the years, either myself or my wife, and there's a split between leasing companies who let you buy the vehicle at the end (normally through a 3rd party as they cannot sell you the car directly given its an operating lease). From the leasing company's PoV, if they can tickle a few hundred more out of you than sending to an auction, its a win...

15 hours ago, Zeddicus said:

I would guess the OP is referring to PCH @Ignition1. I've had a few leases over the years, either myself or my wife, and there's a split between leasing companies who let you buy the vehicle at the end (normally through a 3rd party as they cannot sell you the car directly given its an operating lease). From the leasing company's PoV, if they can tickle a few hundred more out of you than sending to an auction, its a win...

Thanks - yes I do recall now when looking at PCP vs PCH there was some differences over the buy-back option at the end. My MK7 ended up being £13,000 to buy to keep. Can't complain with that versus buying a 2nd hand car.

I wonder though if that's also driving up used prices. Usually people would trade-in their motor for a new one, but given new cars take what feels like 20 years to be made, and used car values increased as a quickly as wholesale gas prices, I can imagine it makes more sense to buy and keep the current lease exactly as OP is thinking to do.

32 minutes ago, Penguin said:

You might not get the chance to extend.  With the current inflated prices and stock scarcity, VW may want the car back to maximise their profits! 

Agreed, I would get a quote as soon as, may find its £500 a month (they did this to one guy on pistonheads) - so he handed it back. Win win for VW right now.