Jump to content

7 Spd DSG maps - Unicorn vs TVS


Recommended Posts

Hi all - I've had my R for around 4 months or so now and a DSG map is needed. Manual gear shifts are slow and it feels like the torque limiter is starting to kick in and ruin the fun.

 

Current state of tune is Revo stage 1 (stepping stone only, I dont want to stay Revo) along with R600, TIP, elbow and some eibach springs. I understand Revo have a beta 7spd map out but after my dealings with Revo when I had my 8P S3 then I would rather go elsewhere, hence these 2 options.

 

I had my 8P S3 box remapped by R-Tech so I know how these boxes can perform with a remap, which is why I want it done :D  

 

My end game aim is to go stage 3 with a Venom turbo with all the necessary add-ons. I havent decided who will be doing the mapping for this, it's a toss up between Midland VW (top place, used them for many years and have done 99% of my hardware over the years) and get the Ecotune map or take the trip to Unicorn.

 

The two top performers, from the reading I have been doing look to be Unicorn and TVS. My closest dealer for TVS looks to be awesome gti. If I did go TVS then it looks like it would be the stage 2+ map which has a torque limit of about 450ft/lb.

 

If I did need to go stage 3 TVS then can I pay the difference between the 2 stages to upgrade?

 

Question is, which DSG map is for me - tell me what you guys have had done and what the specific benefits you found please :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would get the ECU & TCU done at the same place, then you get the TCU dialed in to match the ECU tune, one stop shop any issues, closer to home the better, just my 2 pence 👍 Daz B 

So, a bit of an update on this - I decided to go for Unicorn due to their great reputation - plus lets be honest custom maps are way better, in my experience anyway.   Booked in for Stage 1

Yeah I'm on 7 speed, my friend has a JBS demo car and his is 6 speed, feels much more raw compared to the 7 speed but mines much smoother. The cars really fast I opted for a more progressive tune as I

23 hours ago, Dean T said:

 

If I go for an ecotune map then it will be done at midland vw as they are local to me and ecotune agents 👍

 

I would get the ECU & TCU done at the same place, then you get the TCU dialed in to match the ECU tune, one stop shop any issues, closer to home the better, just my 2 pence 👍

Daz B 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2021 at 17:33, dazbcos1969 said:

I would get the ECU & TCU done at the same place, then you get the TCU dialed in to match the ECU tune, one stop shop any issues, closer to home the better, just my 2 pence 👍

Daz B 

 

Solid point Daz and that is why I went to R-Tech for my S3, to be safe in my mind that both tcu and ecu maps worked in conjunction with each other.

 

Which still leaves me at my predicament, keep things more local and go TVS / Ecotune or travel for Unicorn.

 

My experience with custom maps (R-Tech vs Revo) is like night and day which sways me more towards Unicorn if I'm honest.

 

Still undecided lol.

 

What I might do is get booked in at Unicorn to get the TCU mapped and then have a chat with them while I'm there....

Edited by Dean T
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a stage 2 unicorn ecu and tcu map on my car since new (well just over 1000 miles) and it's been faultless - no error codes, no misfiring, rough running. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I'm sure the TVS tcu map is good but it's a bit pricey and their ecu map is not in the same league as some of the traditional UK golf r platform tuners (MRC, Unicorn).

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2021 at 09:20, golf7.5r said:

Had a stage 2 unicorn ecu and tcu map on my car since new (well just over 1000 miles) and it's been faultless - no error codes, no misfiring, rough running. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I'm sure the TVS tcu map is good but it's a bit pricey and their ecu map is not in the same league as some of the traditional UK golf r platform tuners (MRC, Unicorn).

 

Possibly a strange question but what were the biggest things you noticed (in terms of benefits) after having the TCU mapped?

 

I havent worked out my gearbox at the moment but it seems to lag in "M" going from 1st to 2nd gear, the lag is noticeable - a couple of seconds or so.

 

How are the shift points in "D" too, or does it vary with how much you push the go pedal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2021 at 09:53, Millsn said:

Revo seem like they're about to release a dsg tune. So before the Venom you could do both at Midland vw. 

 

Also,  if Midland vw are local I believe the nearest TVS dealer is Sheffield.

 

Not a bad shout, I might see if there is a money back guarantee or cooling off period on the Revo TCU map, once it is released.

 

After having my S3 mapped I wouldnt want to take a few hundred £s punt on the quality of Revo's TCU map this time around.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dean T said:

 

Possibly a strange question but what were the biggest things you noticed (in terms of benefits) after having the TCU mapped?

 

I havent worked out my gearbox at the moment but it seems to lag in "M" going from 1st to 2nd gear, the lag is noticeable - a couple of seconds or so.

 

How are the shift points in "D" too, or does it vary with how much you push the go pedal?

I drive 99% in manual so the improved shift points are not my bag. I wanted the improvements in other areas; improved cooling, increased clamping pressures (I'm running just shy of 600Nm now), disable kickdown.

 

The lag you feel from 1st to 2nd is a new VW 'feature' for the 7-speed, it's not lag but some form of clutch slip to make the 1st-2nd gear change feel smoother (I'm guessing to stop the journos moaning about around town drivability). I don't like it either and it's still there after the TCU remap (I did ask Rick@Unicorn if he could get rid of it). You will also notice that it won't allow you to shift into 2nd as early as the other gears in M mode. And the other quirk of the 7-speed is that you might feel a small thump when shifting from 2nd to 3rd from time to time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, golf7.5r said:

I drive 99% in manual so the improved shift points are not my bag. I wanted the improvements in other areas; improved cooling, increased clamping pressures (I'm running just shy of 600Nm now), disable kickdown.

 

The lag you feel from 1st to 2nd is a new VW 'feature' for the 7-speed, it's not lag but some form of clutch slip to make the 1st-2nd gear change feel smoother (I'm guessing to stop the journos moaning about around town drivability). I don't like it either and it's still there after the TCU remap (I did ask Rick@Unicorn if he could get rid of it). You will also notice that it won't allow you to shift into 2nd as early as the other gears in M mode. And the other quirk of the 7-speed is that you might feel a small thump when shifting from 2nd to 3rd from time to time.

 

Cheers for the reply mate, that torque figure you have is pretty impressive but thats the benefit of a custom tune I guess :) 

 

What supporting hardware do you have? Feel free to point me to a build thread if you have one 👍

 

I didnt realise the 1st to 2nd lag was an intended feature so thanks for letting me know otherwise I would be chasing something I cant fix lol.

 

1st to 2nd lag aside, the gearbox aint that bad to be honest but I still want a TCU map :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

So, a bit of an update on this - I decided to go for Unicorn due to their great reputation - plus lets be honest custom maps are way better, in my experience anyway.

 

Booked in for Stage 1 ECU and TCU maps next friday 👍 

 

Will also pick Rick's brains on what parts he suggests for Stage 3 while I'm there too.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2022 at 08:07, Dean T said:

So, a bit of an update on this - I decided to go for Unicorn due to their great reputation - plus lets be honest custom maps are way better, in my experience anyway.

 

Booked in for Stage 1 ECU and TCU maps next friday 👍 

 

Will also pick Rick's brains on what parts he suggests for Stage 3 while I'm there too.

For a street driven car, stage 1 with tcu will do the job 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dazbcos1969 said:

For a street driven car, stage 1 with tcu will do the job 

 

We shall see eh :D 

 

Coming from a Stage 2+ 8P S3 it would be nice to have that ferocity back that I used to get by pressing the go pedal down

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...