Timing Belt - recommended service

Hi all - when I dropped my R to a dealer for repairs. They said my timing chain / belt was overdue and is about £400 to do. I'm not sure if that's part of a major service or not (last major was last August). 

Anyone had this done?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did they also recommend an a/c service and comment that they noticed some play in your clutch pedal 😉 😊

😂 - A/C service...I'm always recommended that. And my usual reply is "Yeah I know, thanks...anyway". I'm surprised they didn't mention clutch because they can see a gear selector inside, bit strange i

Unfortunately, this does seem to be common. When my R was in for a service in March I got the "do you want us to replace the timing belt" spiel and when I pointed out it has a chain, they shut up PDQ!

Never knew the timing chain was part of a service? It's normally a timing belt which is due a service interval.

The MK7 R with the EA888 gen3 engine uses a timing chain. 

Chains normally last the lifetime of the car which some say is between 100k-150k miles. So if you've hit that mileage then maybe it is advisable to replace it.  

The 2.0 EA888 engine has a timing chain and in theory, the chain is a non-serviceable item that doesn’t have specified change intervals and should last the ‘lifetime’ of the car. 

Slightly worrying your dealer has quoted you for a cam belt change which isn’t relevant for your car, and they should know that! 😮.

3 hours ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

Slightly worrying your dealer has quoted you for a cam belt change which isn’t relevant for your car, and they should know that! 😮.

Unfortunately, this does seem to be common. When my R was in for a service in March I got the "do you want us to replace the timing belt" spiel and when I pointed out it has a chain, they shut up PDQ! Seems its normal to ask the question when a car gets to around 60k miles (which mine had) and I wonder how many innocent folks just fork out?! Robbery!

I remember being asked the same question by an indie on my Subaru Legacy R Spec B a few years back. I collected the car and took it straight back to Subaru!

Yeah it caught me off guard a little as I hadn't come across that in any of the other car servicing posts here! I can't remember exactly what he said - chain or belt - but I've only done 41k.

Thanks all for the replies. I know to ignore it then (at least until 150k miles :)

3 hours ago, Penguin said:

Did they also recommend an a/c service and comment that they noticed some play in your clutch pedal 😉 😊

😂 - A/C service...I'm always recommended that. And my usual reply is "Yeah I know, thanks...anyway". I'm surprised they didn't mention clutch because they can see a gear selector inside, bit strange it only goes forwards and backwards but still...must be a manual 😒

Hi all - when I dropped my R to a dealer for repairs. They said my timing chain / belt was overdue and is about £400 to do. I'm not sure if that's part of a major service or not (last major was last August). 

Anyone had this done?

I think you need to change dealer. Especially after your earlier post re camshaft actuators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
17 hours ago, slider09 said:

I think you need to change dealer. Especially after your earlier post re camshaft actuators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I think you are right - and it was the first time I went to this particular dealer. Usually I go to the Citygate Watford one for servicing etc, which I think I'll continue to do going forward even if it's more out of the way. The only positive was this dealer suggested I drop my R in as a "breakdown" as it'll get seen to sooner, whereas Watford just said "sorry next appointment is end of October". Though could also be because Watford know they're better!

Either way - too late for me. I just paid for another year of warranty (£220-ish so not massively out of pocket). Never thought I'd have my R for 6 years!

4 hours ago, fastandy said:

£400 would be a bargain basement price for a timing chain, tensioner job on a R!! It is a fair bit of work. Round here it would be at least £1,000 at an independent.  Take em up on their offer and watch them come back squirming! 

I may do! I'll find out what exactly they think I need doing, get some Indy quotes...and then go for the offer of £400.