Stop/Start. Neat and permanent solution

49 minutes ago, bertie1249 said:

@ToRnado_R Yes got all that, and I’m nearly there.

Can you explain what these below mean

1) Enter memory mode

2) Enter shutdown mode

3) Enter service mode

Many Thanks

1. Memory mode remembers the state of S/S when you last turned the engine off, and resets the same state when you restart,

2. Shutdown mode always turns off S/S when you start.

3. Service mode completely disables the module, allowing S/S to behave exactly as normal.

In all three cases you can then press the S/S button in the normal way to turn S/S on and off. S/S is also automatically enabled in Eco mode.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine arrived this morning. Took all of 5min to install. Glad I saw the video first. Thank you to all the forum members who contributed to this topic, and made my life easier. Hated the stop/start.👍🏻😀

I saw this video too, bought one straight away. Thanks for sharing, i cant stand it and im glad to find a solution where it just flips the way it works. If you like it that much it can be turned on ev

An excellent fix. Here's the one I used: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000988119998.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5d694c4d6GWWZK&cv=0&aff_fsk=Y7bAZbY&af=88566&aff_platform=aaf&amp

53 minutes ago, Chris7.5R said:

1. Memory mode remembers the state of S/S when you last turned the engine off, and resets the same state when you restart,

2. Shutdown mode always turns off S/S when you start.

3. Service mode completely disables the module, allowing S/S to behave exactly as normal.

In all three cases you can then press the S/S button in the normal way to turn S/S on and off. S/S is also automatically enabled in Eco mode.

Thank you @ToRnado_R and @Chris7.5R 

Good news…. “Penny has finally dropped” and I finally got it 😂 
Maybe I was having a bad day but for the life of me I just couldn’t get my head around it.

Will go ahead and order this now but think I need to sign up first to Aliexpress as I’ve never bought from there before.

Cheers 👍🏻👍🏻

4 hours ago, bertie1249 said:

Thank you @ToRnado_R and @Chris7.5R 

Good news…. “Penny has finally dropped” and I finally got it 😂 
Maybe I was having a bad day but for the life of me I just couldn’t get my head around it.

Will go ahead and order this now but think I need to sign up first to Aliexpress as I’ve never bought from there before.

Cheers 👍🏻👍🏻

Excellent! Good luck with this. In case it's not clear, in modes 1 and 2 the module is a one-shot each time you start the car, and never does anything else. In mode 3 it's just like you removed it. If worried, it should be invisible to your dealer's service department, apart of course from mode 2 turning off S/S. In that case you can set mode 3 before a service.

32 minutes ago, Chris7.5R said:

Excellent! Good luck with this. In case it's not clear, in modes 1 and 2 the module is a one-shot each time you start the car, and never does anything else. In mode 3 it's just like you removed it. If worried, it should be invisible to your dealer's service department, apart of course from mode 2 turning off S/S. In that case you can set mode 3 before a service.

@Chris7.5R Thanks Chris, think I’ve got it now, got the one from aliexpress so will look forward to fitting it 👍🏻👍🏻

As the originator of this thread I thought that I would do the decent thing and actually purchase and install the stop/start module as per the original YouTube video. I purchased the module from Aliexpress at a cost of £12.99 delivered to the U.K.  It arrived a few days ago, the package contained the module itself and a trim removal tool, but no printed instructions though. The Aliexpress website does cover the different modes the module can be set to but personally I would have preferred the inclusion of some written instructions. I have set it to memory mode and it works perfectly. Only issue I had was the removal of the trim surrounding the buttons, it was really hard to prise this off but after a few choice swear words and a bit of brute force it eventually gave up the fight and came loose. The YouTube video shows the module being fitted to a manual car, as mine is DSG there was a lot less room to access the underside of the button cluster to lift it up to access the electrical connector. I eventually managed to lift up the buttons and fit the module, it was a bit tight to feed the cable back down into the void next to the DSG unit but it eventually went in. In my opinion it is a cheap and worthwhile modification. 

Not specifically about this module, but some general advice for anyone who (eventually) manages to prise out a piece of trim without breaking it. Before replacing it put a very light smear of silicone grease, or a quick spray of WD-40 dry PTFE, on all the clips. Next time it will come out without any butt-clenching moments. Also, before you start get a set of plastic trim removal tools from eBay or AliExpress. Don't mess with knives and screwdrivers. Something like this will serve you well.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32921218634.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.25ed4b9dp45FUK&algo_pvid=0a1ca5ec-0222-4ac7-8acf-25503b74541e&algo_exp_id=0a1ca5ec-0222-4ac7-8acf-25503b74541e-35&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000021831728785"}

Edit: this is the full set that I got, for just about anything!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001464017872.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.0.0.37ae3030GtmiYx&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.169870.0&scm_id=1007.13339.169870.0&scm-url=1007.13339.169870.0&pvid=38ba3a4e-86fd-4996-9aee-b16680dece03&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.169870.0,pvid:38ba3a4e-86fd-4996-9aee-b16680dece03,tpp_buckets:668%232846%238110%231995&&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id":"12000016220756649","sceneId":"3339"}

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/10/2021 at 17:54, Trentside said:

Seems nice and straightforward to install. 

I saw this video too, bought one straight away. Thanks for sharing, i cant stand it and im glad to find a solution where it just flips the way it works. If you like it that much it can be turned on every start now😄👍🏻