I intend submitting a new car order next week and I currently have the akra exhaust amongst my chosen options.  I'm not having second thoughts as such, but it is a heck of a price. 

Are those members who have the exhaust happy with it and do you have any regrets about forking out for it?  Also, do the members that don't have one fitted wish they did? 

Also, has anyone had the chance to compare the two exhausts side by side in real life and, if so, is there a noticable difference in tone and noise level?  Lastly,  does anyone have a photo of the underside of the car showing how much of the system is actually "akra"?

Many thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It has a lovely deep rasp and some very satisfying crackles and pops in Race. What’s the rest of your planned spec?  Performance Pack?  As the Akra in Nurburgring (Special mode) really brings a big gr

I think it’s best we don’t think about that.  😂

Agree with you both.  For me the thick edged oval pipes was a nail in the coffin for sticking with the standard exhaust. I’m not sure why they decided to change them from the 7R design which I think w

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, TurboTrev said:

I intend submitting a new car order next week and I currently have the akra exhaust amongst my chosen options.  I'm not having second thoughts as such, but it is a heck of a price. 

Are those members who have the exhaust happy with it and do you have any regrets about forking out for it?  Also, do the members that don't have one fitted wish they did? 

Also, has anyone had the chance to compare the two exhausts side by side in real life and, if so, is there a noticable difference in tone and noise level?  Lastly,  does anyone have a photo of the underside of the car showing how much of the system is actually "akra"?

Many thanks.

Save your money and go standard exhaust then upgrade to a BCS, Milltec or Remus.

I’ve got the Akra and though it is pricy, absolutely no regrets.  Love the sound which is nicely deepening now the car has a few thousand miles on it.  Love the aesthetics of it too.  Haven’t got any pics of the underside of the system on mine but it was recently discussed in another thread and the understanding is that it’s backbox, resonator and pipe up to the GPF.   I recall this Autobild video on instagram that @Mange posted up in his IG a few months back.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CLqqYXOnIIc/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/38055-mk8-r-akra-exhaust/?do=findComment&comment=573318

I think there’s a few comparison videos of the standard v Akra sound knocking around somewhere too. 

58 minutes ago, Booth11 said:

I’ve got the Akra and though it is pricy, absolutely no regrets.  Love the sound which is nicely deepening now the car has a few thousand miles on it.  Love the aesthetics of it too.  Haven’t got any pics of the underside of the system on mine but it was recently discussed in another thread and the understanding is that it’s backbox, resonator and pipe up to the GPF.   I recall this Autobild video on instagram that @Mange posted up in his IG a few months back.  https://www.instagram.com/p/CLqqYXOnIIc/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/38055-mk8-r-akra-exhaust/?do=findComment&comment=573318

I think there’s a few comparison videos of the standard v Akra sound knocking around somewhere too. 

Many thanks for your reply, good to hear that you have no regrets!  The youtube videos that I've looked at seem to confirm that the akra gives a deeper and lounder note which is what I'm after, but was interested to hear some real life feedback!  Not on insta, but I've taken a shuftie at the thread you linked with the photo, which was all very interesting, thanks. 

My spouse has a saying:
You mostly regret things you don’t do
more than you regret things you do

And to add on too of that, as long as it doesn’t keep food off your table, the money will be forgotten while the bass sound of the Akra will play on and on :-)

Disclaimer: I didn’t order Akra, but for me it’s twice as much money, and I prefer to stay as stealth as possible, police wise (They like sporty looking or sounding cars. A friend with a GTI 8 just got pulled over and ticketed for pops and bangs in his very stock car. He will get it cancelled, but still annoying).

6 minutes ago, TurboTrev said:

Many thanks for your reply, good to hear that you have no regrets!  The youtube videos that I've looked at seem to confirm that the akra gives a deeper and lounder note which is what I'm after, but was interested to hear some real life feedback!  Not on insta, but I've taken a shuftie at the thread you linked with the photo, which was all very interesting, thanks. 

It has a lovely deep rasp and some very satisfying crackles and pops in Race. What’s the rest of your planned spec?  Performance Pack?  As the Akra in Nurburgring (Special mode) really brings a big grin to the face!  

Plus looks great.  IMO! 

51110651710_36d7cbc193_o.jpg

51098668354_50cddf048d_o.jpg

51357651340_44908d6465_o.jpg

51492958410_694a91d7b1_o.jpg

AHG - like that way of looking at things!  Nowadays, I keep my car for a few years so the spec needs to be right.  Akra it is!

Booth11 - absolutely stunning!  The spec I'm going for is Lapiz, Performance Pack (maybe with the black wheels if I can get them), Akra, DCC, Sunroof,  Reversing Camera and Winter Pack.

I don’t like artificial pops and farts, but I’d have to go with the Akra as it looks so much better. 

Every time I see the standard exhaust I can’t unsee very thick rimmed glasses, not what you want to think every time the garage door opens and you see the car! 

I just park in reverse, so I see the grill
when I come to the car in the morning ;-)
3 hours ago, Martin2 said:

I don’t like artificial pops and farts, but I’d have to go with the Akra as it looks so much better. 

Every time I see the standard exhaust I can’t unsee very thick rimmed glasses, not what you want to think every time the garage door opens and you see the car! 😂

Yes very thick edged tailpipes, I didnt like them either, I prefer the 7R exhaust trims, S3 trims very similar to Golf 7 as well

12 hours ago, Martin2 said:

Every time I see the standard exhaust I can’t unsee very thick rimmed glasses, not what you want to think every time the garage door opens and you see the car! 😂

9 hours ago, mikef4uk said:

Yes very thick edged tailpipes, I didnt like them either, I prefer the 7R exhaust trims, S3 trims very similar to Golf 7 as well

Agree with you both.  For me the thick edged oval pipes was a nail in the coffin for sticking with the standard exhaust. I’m not sure why they decided to change them from the 7R design which I think would have suited the 8R better.  Perhaps the idea was to beef up the look of the tips but to me it just resulted in a crude looking set of tailpipes.  

I wonder how they’d look naked
i.e. without the shiny tips on them
Definitely be more stealth

Probably soon we could purchase smaller tips aftermarket (If they make a grey set, it would be great).

Do you think the 7R/S3 tips could fit ?
It is just a sleeve so it’s all about diameter, as taking off and replacing aught to be a cinch.

2 hours ago, AHG said:

I wonder how they’d look naked
i.e. without the shiny tips on them
Definitely be more stealth

Probably soon we could purchase smaller tips aftermarket (If they make a grey set, it would be great).

Do you think the 7R/S3 tips could fit ?
It is just a sleeve so it’s all about diameter, as taking off and replacing aught to be a cinch.

If I had the standard tips and was sticking with them I get them coated black or dark grey.