Fuel Economy

McDoogle

Probably the last thing we all worry about when buying an 8R but it would be interesting to see what everyone gets in both worst case(You've booted it) and driving casually.

Mine is still on order but below is my mk7.5 GTI Performance.¬†I'm curious to see just how heavy footed everyone is¬†ūüėÖ

Low end : 20mpg

High end : 50mpg

Edited by McDoogle

I average 23mpg on a 2018 7.5 R with DSG. This is a mix of a short journeys, longer A-road / motorway and also quite a lot of booting it about. On a motorway run I can easily get into the high 30's average, but rarely see more than that. It will do 40mpg+ on a long B-road run at 40-60mph. None of this is using Eco mode, just normal drive mode (except when booting when its usually in race or DSG S)

The 8R, from what I've seen is a little better, but not by much. Like everything it's both how you drive and where you are driving.

These engines do relatively good mpg on motorways (considering the performance capability) but are pretty poor when doing a lot of short runs or driving around town. 

Booth I believe has always returned very similar mpg (i.e. not great) as me when she had her 7R and I think her 8R is a bit better, maybe by about 10%.

Not a Golf but identical drivetrain to the 7.5R, my 2018 8V S3 does and average of 35 mpg (imperial) in my daily mix of urban and highway (20:80), but when I ‚Äúenjoy it‚ÄĚ it goes down to 25, and when we go on family trips and I put it on ACC I can get as high as 45 for long constant speed stretches (preferably between 65-75 mph).
All that on RON 98 fuel exclusively. In the few times I went with 95 I distinctly measured higher consumption (5-7%).

8 hours ago, McDoogle said:

Probably the last thing we all worry about when buying an 8R but it would be interesting to see what everyone gets in both worst case(You've booted it) and driving casually.

Mine is still on order but below is my mk7.5 GTI Performance.¬†I'm curious to see just how heavy footed everyone is¬†ūüėÖ

Low end : 20mpg

High end : 50mpg

I have averaged high 40's (47-48mpg) on long motorway runs (visiting parents 130miles away and motorway entire way expect the initial 2 miles and final 5 miles) and generally low-mid 30's around town and low - mid 20's on the school run or short town journeys. 

My 15 minute journey to work which is a mix of town and motorway sits mid-high 30's on the way there and high 20's-low 30's on the way home (??) Although I can go into the 40's if I drive steady on the motorway or its busy but moving at 50-60mph.

I am not heavy footed very often and equally don't use race mode very often. It is mostly in individual mode with the drive set to comfort (E) with occasionally leave it in sport (start up default setting).

I think my long term is currently showing 31.8mpg but it has just reset itself as I have covered 4500 miles now, it was up at 34 something before it reset. 

1 hour ago, JaseW said:

I have averaged high 40's (47-48mpg) on long motorway runs (visiting parents 130miles away and motorway entire way expect the initial 2 miles and final 5 miles) and generally low-mid 30's around town and low - mid 20's on the school run or short town journeys. 

My 15 minute journey to work which is a mix of town and motorway sits mid-high 30's on the way there and high 20's-low 30's on the way home (??) Although I can go into the 40's if I drive steady on the motorway or its busy but moving at 50-60mph.

I am not heavy footed very often and equally don't use race mode very often. It is mostly in individual mode with the drive set to comfort (E) with occasionally leave it in sport (start up default setting).

I think my long term is currently showing 31.8mpg but it has just reset itself as I have covered 4500 miles now, it was up at 34 something before it reset. 

With my gti at the moment, my long term is just past 2500 miles and I've averaged around 38mpg on non motorway miles. The engines in the gtis and rs can really be surprising efficient given the power they put out. I'm like you and rarely use sport mode, mainly when I hit a nice back road or something. 

The 8R is, so far, the most economical performance Golf I’ve had (I’ve had a few previous GTIs and a mk7R), which though not a big deal for me, is actually a nice surprise.  The best I’ve managed on motorway journeys is mid 40s (45/46mpg) on runs of around 300 miles for a fairly loaded (with passengers and luggage) car.  The same journey in my mk7R returned 33/34mpg, so a notable difference.   Just this week I’ve done a trip from darkest Kent to the Lake District and return, covering 800 miles predominantly motorway with a fully loaded car both ways.  Got 40mpg average going (with 2 static M6 crash traffic jams and lots of 50mph restrictions) and coming back today averaged 39.8mpg with same M6 50mph restrictions and a busy M25 with speed restrictions. 

Local driving is also pretty good with a mix of congested city driving and rural driving, and mpg similar to Jase for those types of driving.  Mid 30s rural, mid 20s for city driving.  

My long term average is around 27/28/29mpg, compared to my mk7R long term average of 23/24mpg.  

So very respectable mpg all round.  

Darkest Kent … is that a paddington reference ?

I think if you get your tires in the suggested pressure, you may get better MPG (I use 10% over suggested, as I usually fill up after 20min driving, so they are hot).
But it’s really 90% about driving style, for me.

15 hours ago, AHG said:

Darkest Kent … is that a paddington reference ?

I think if you get your tires in the suggested pressure, you may get better MPG (I use 10% over suggested, as I usually fill up after 20min driving, so they are hot).
But it’s really 90% about driving style, for me.

Darkest Peru, Darkest Kent, practically the same. ¬†ūüėā¬† ¬†I just live in the nether regions of the country. ¬†

My tyres are at the higher end of the recommended pressure atm on account of the full load I had for my trip and they were topped up at a Service station part way through the outward journey, so all good on that front.   There’s no way I’m going 10% over recommended as they are very high already as per the pressure sticker and I’ll take comfort over higher mpg (I’ve tried out a few differing pressures so have found the sweet spot with normal load).  Most of it is driving style but I’m not heavy on the right foot. The majority of my recent motorway trips have been using the ACC, but recent mpg has been somewhat curtailed by road delays and roadworks resulting in lots of slower moving traffic, which impacts MPG. 

Just checked the app. My average over the first 2000 miles was 26.4mpg and the second 2000 miles was 27.7mpg. Which makes it almost identical to my previous 7.5R.

it can achieve excellent mpg when you try‚Ķ. I just don‚Äôt try ūü§£. I did hit a new low of 16mpg on the way home from work the other day ūüė¨ūüöÄ

16 hours ago, Booth11 said:

......  The best I’ve managed on motorway journeys is mid 40s (45/46mpg) on runs of around 300 miles for a fairly loaded (with passengers and luggage) car.  The same journey in my mk7R returned 33/34mpg, so a notable difference.  

I think the 7-speed DSG makes a big difference for motorway driving mpg (compared to the 6-speed)¬†ūüĎć

5 minutes ago, JonnyG said:

I think the 7-speed DSG makes a big difference for motorway driving mpg (compared to the 6-speed)¬†ūüĎć

Yes Jonny, I think you’re right, the 7 speed it makes a significant difference to the mpg on motorway schleps.  I dare say the mpg difference between the DSG 8 and a 7.5 would be less, but over a 7 it’s big.