Hello Golf fans,

I'm going to be upgrading the turbo next when I get a stage 2 tune.

I will be going (very likely) to get an Ecotune (Glasgow) custom tune again along with a scorpion 200 cell high flow downpipe.

I'm pretty confident that both the L380 and more so the L380x are more than capable of 400bhp+.

The question I have is, is there any reason to go L380x over L380?

I don't intend to upgrade the LPFP/HPFP or have to fit another clutch (Fitted RTS TF only 2.5k miles ago)

Also while I'm asking, anyone know if LITTCO did a black Friday sale last year??

Thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sounds like a job for some creative "man maths" .... 

A good friend of mine has got a very nice S3 which was running APR Stage 2. He has got a good quality clutch installed and in 2020 had the TTV4 (Turbo Technics) and Ecotune Software. To make

I would speak to Dan at Littco for the best possible advice on the Littco's.   He's was very helpful IME.    I had the same decision to make earlier this year.  My main goal was to mitigate

1 hour ago, ToRnado_R said:

Hello Golf fans,

I will be going (very likely) to get an Ecotune (Glasgow) custom tune again along with a scorpion 200 cell high flow downpipe.

I'm pretty confident that both the L380 and more so the L380x are more than capable of 400bhp+.

I don't intend to upgrade the LPFP/HPFP or have to fit another clutch (Fitted RTS TF only 2.5k miles ago)

Also while I'm asking, anyone know if LITTCO did a black Friday sale last year??

Thanks emoji106.png

I spoke Ecotune a couple of weeks ago and they recommended this turbo:

https://ecotune-scotland.co.uk/venom-9-vag-2-0-tsi-12-19-is38-ball-bearing-hybrid-turbo/

They can run it on their own software and possibly without need to swap out the pumps. They were really impressed with the quality of the turbo.

Another option is the TT V4 which gives a comfortable 375–500 depending on customer requests. Ecotune also fit this.

Yet another option is the newly released. Garrett range.

https://www.prospeedracing.com.au/Garrett-PowerMax-GT2260S-Bolt-On-Turbo-Audi-A3-S3-8V/TT-8S/VW-Golf-Inc-GTI-R-Mk7-7.5-2.0-TSI-898199-5001W

Seems quite a few to choose from

12 hours ago, ToRnado_R said:

Hello Golf fans,

Thanks emoji106.png

I believe there is also now a l430 just released similar spool to stock but makes 450hp stock fuelling  that would be my choice if I was upgrading turbo with custom tune. 

I would look at prices and advice from tuner on what turbo they advise and have worked with/tuned more before choosing. I know different tuners have more knowledge/tuned more of certain type of turbo. I just think results wise 450hp 600nm with minimal extra lag over stock turbo would be perfect. In going stage 2 spools faster anyway so for you there wouldn’t be any extra lag. 

You should also look at upgrading IC for best results with those turbos. 

Graeme 

I believe there is also now a l430 just released similar spool to stock but makes 450hp stock fuelling  that would be my choice if I was upgrading turbo with custom tune. 

I would look at prices and advice from tuner on what turbo they advise and have worked with/tuned more before choosing. I know different tuners have more knowledge/tuned more of certain type of turbo. I just think results wise 450hp 600nm with minimal extra lag over stock turbo would be perfect. In going stage 2 spools faster anyway so for you there wouldn’t be any extra lag. 

You should also look at upgrading IC for best results with those turbos. 

Graeme 
Thanks Graeme

I have already upgraded the IC I just forgot to mention it

I would speak to Dan at Littco for the best possible advice on the Littco's.   He's was very helpful IME. 

I had the same decision to make earlier this year.  My main goal was to mitigate any issues with the stock IS38; I know they are not as common as the internet would lead people to believe but after my mates stock S3 had a turbo failure with 20K miles on the clock, I decided to spend less money on a preventive measure than a £3K+ unexpected bill.  

I spoke to Dan at Littco and in summary; the L380 is a direct replacement which stronger internals and is balanced to a finer tolerance.  It will work with any stage 1/2 tunes (or stock) and retains stock characteristics. 

The L380X is a 'baby' hybrid so has has the same benefits of the L380 but it has a larger compressor wheel so provides greater flow.  It needs to be custom tuned (as you're aware).  Dan explained to me that, with the right tune, the L380X gives a greater band of usable power vs. L380 whilst not exhibiting any lag as you may find with some of the larger hybrids.  IME it just loves to rev and has a bit more to give at the top end.  

I went with the L380X as I'm planning with going full stage 2 at some stage and Dan advised the X would be the best platform to compliment all the stage 2 hardware.  Most cars with just the L380X, a custom tune and some form of upgraded intake will produce circa 400BHP and high 300's lb-ft.  Fitting all the usual stage 2 hardware should see that increase to 430+ BHP/lb-ft. Both Devil Developments and Unicorn have posted multiple cars seeing these numbers and there's a few on here, though I believe the majority of these have been DSG R's.

I had the mindset that if I was going to go to the expense of swapping the turbo then I should spend that little bit more and go for the L380X because if I ended up doing nothing further then I can still get close to stage 2 performance without the outlay and if I did go stage 2 at a later date then it would be a good platform and result in a brisk car.  

I would speak to Dan at Littco for the best possible advice on the Littco's.   He's was very helpful IME. 

I had the same decision to make earlier this year.  My main goal was to mitigate any issues with the stock IS38; I know they are not as common as the internet would lead people to believe but after my mates stock S3 had a turbo failure with 20K miles on the clock, I decided to spend less money on a preventive measure then a £3K+ unexpected bill.  

I spoke to Dan at Littco and in summary; the L380 is a direct replacement which stronger internals and is balanced to a finer tolerance.  It will work with any stage 1/2 tunes (or stock) and retains stock characteristics. 

The L380X is a 'baby' hybrid so has has the same benefits of the L380 but it has a larger compressor wheel so provides greater flow.  It needs to be custom tuned (as you're aware).  Dan explained to me that, with the right tune, the L380X gives a greater band of usable power vs. L380 whilst not exhibiting any lag as you may find with some of the larger hybrids.  IME it just loves to rev and has a bit more to give at the top end.  

I went with the L380X as I'm planning with going full stage 2 at some stage and Dan advised the X would be the best platform to compliment all the stage 2 hardware.  Most cars with just the L380X, a custom tune and some form of upgraded intake will produce circa 400BHP and high 300's lb-ft.  Fitting all the usual stage 2 hardware should see that increase to 430+ BHP/lb-ft. Both Devil Developments and Unicorn have posted multiple cars seeing these numbers and there's a few on here, though I believe the majority of these have been DSG R's.

I had the mindset that if I was going to go to the expense of swapping the turbo then I should spend that little bit more and go for the L380X because if I ended up doing nothing further then I can still get close to stage 2 performance without the outlay and if I did go stage 2 at a later date then it would be a good platform and result in a brisk car.  

Thanks for this, exactly the same position as you re the turbo as I know I don't need to change it but would rather do it now than face a hefty bill again the reason why I got an upgraded IC as less stress and lower IAT.

I'm currently in the midst of doing a budget l380x swap

I bought a 100 mile old l380x from a trusted seller £800

From the same seller a gfb dv £80

Scorpion decat from B7 performance £288

Muffler delete and seal/gasket kit from bartek £90

Plugs and oil from from opie £100

my car (r estate) is already stage 1 with ramair intake, turbo elbow and already has an intercooler fitted.

The only outstanding cost i have now is fitting and ECU/TCU software, it is booked in with Rtech for 25/01/22

36 minutes ago, ToRnado_R said:

If you know of anyone selling another l380x for 800 then hit me up!

Have you thought about the supercore option?  A little bit cheaper than the complete unit but it would be worth checking labour costs to swap the compressor housing and actuator over, could work out more expensive when labour costs are factored in...

Also you could make a few quid back on a working IS38 

Have you thought about the supercore option?  A little bit cheaper than the complete unit but it would be worth checking labour costs to swap the compressor housing and actuator over, could work out more expensive when labour costs are factored in...

Yeah I have, decided that the better option is to swap it out and sell it like you say
Just now, ToRnado_R said:
7 minutes ago, Penguin said:

Yeah I have, decided that the better option is to swap it out and sell it like you say

I'm sure that TTE offer an upgrade program wherein you buy one of their units and they refund some of the cash upon receipt and inspection of a working IS38.  Seemed a good deal when I looked.  

Not buying a supercore was also something I was trying to avoid.

Swapping like for like turbo is much easier and hopefully get something decent back for my low mileage is38.

reduced labour costs and reduced time I would be without the car.

I'm sure littco would send you an L380x with a surcharge (as mentioned TTE offer and so do Venom) then you send your healthy is38 back for a refund