Issue with gear changing?

Hi All,

I’m new here, and I just wanted to preface my post by saying that I don’t know much about the mechanics of cars – I just like driving them.  So if I say something stupid, please bear with me!

Anywho … I bought myself a Golf R (early 2017) manual a few months ago.  I previously had a Focus ST which loved high revs, but with the Golf there seems to be a rev limiter which kicks in at 6500rpm.  That is a tiny bit earlier than I would like it because the car still feels like it is flying at that stage.  

I can live with the rev limit thing, but I am having an issue when I change up gear quickly.  I’m not sure exactly what is happening, but it seems when I push to about 6450rpm and then change gear before the revs drop below 6000rpm, then the revs get stuck in the 6000s and even go beyond the 6500rpm limiter.  It feels as though I haven’t even changed gear, and for a second or two the little gear change thing on the dashboard seems to get confused.  

It happens most often going from 3rd to 4th, but I think one time I had it stuck all the way from 2nd up to 5th.  That time the revs got really high (I didn’t get a look at how high), and the torque seemed low.  The revs don’t fix themselves till I do a slightly slower gear change.

Is this normal for a Golf R?  Is there something wrong with the car, or the way I’m driving it?  

Regards,
Mavota

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear, that doesn’t sound good.  Is it likely the dealer will replace the clutch under warranty?  (I can’t remember exactly but I think it came with a 2 or 3-year warranty.)

If I do need to pay for a replacement clutch how much is that likely to cost?  Should I consider an upgraded clutch?

27 minutes ago, Mavota said:

Oh dear, that doesn’t sound good.  Is it likely the dealer will replace the clutch under warranty?  (I can’t remember exactly but I think it came with a 2 or 3-year warranty.)

If I do need to pay for a replacement clutch how much is that likely to cost?  Should I consider an upgraded clutch?

I doubt the dealer will do it under warranty as it’s a wearable part.Also I wouldn’t have a OEM clutch put back in as they are not that good.

Go for something like RTS or Sachs clutch.Budget wise I would say around £1k fitted.