Tuning now possible for the Golf 8R

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I personally would avoid those cheaper tuning boxes, especially on a £40k+ car. Firstly they make very dubious claims about power increases - they are claiming as high as 375ps for the mk 7r / s3 8v,

Shouldn't be called tuning really, more like "fooling" . Almost always the first to come out, almost always the worst option to squeeze extra performance from... The way such boxes force the engi

We are 6 months into giving our 8 R a good beat down and so far so good. We could have released a product the following day but that's not how we roll. Typically we want to see winter and summer. Our

IIRC DarkSide Developments done a tuning box group test not too long ago and the RaceChip box was boosting at unsafe levels.  It would be very interesting to see what the boost/fuelling levels are for those gains on the 8R, and if they are deemed to be safe. 

I'm also wondering what type of R&D/testing has been done on the 8R platform.  RaceChip advertise boxes for near enough every manufacturer and model.  I don't think I'm being naive in thinking they don't invest a great deal of time or effort in developing and testing every box on every car they list.   

It takes APR and Revo and Co. how long just to test on one platform?! 

8 hours ago, Penguin said:

IIRC DarkSide Developments done a tuning box group test not too long ago and the RaceChip box was boosting at unsafe levels.  It would be very interesting to see what the boost/fuelling levels are for those gains on the 8R, and if they are deemed to be safe. 

I'm also wondering what type of R&D/testing has been done on the 8R platform.  RaceChip advertise boxes for near enough every manufacturer and model.  I don't think I'm being naive in thinking they don't invest a great deal of time or effort in developing and testing every box on every car they list.   

It takes APR and Revo and Co. how long just to test on one platform?! 

Spot on

Nothing at all Re R&D on the 8R or GTI from initial searches.

I remember it took an age on the 7R due to early turbo failures the Beta map was delayed by at least 6-12 months by APR.

I was told recently most mainstream tuners were still locked out.

Just be careful when purchasing these type of products as the MK8 R turbo has a turbine speed sensor which may cause issues with warranty or even break the contract on the agreements you sign when purchasing via various financial methods. 

A lot of MK7 R drivers used these type of products as a means to gain extra performance on leased cars as they was not detectable when returned back after the lease was up. I think VW have realised this and hence this new speed turbine sensor. 

Shouldn't be called tuning really, more like "fooling" . Almost always the first to come out, almost always the worst option to squeeze extra performance from...

The way such boxes force the engine to make more power is almost an insult if one takes a deeper look at the number of parameters, considerations and adaptations modern ECU take into account to optimize for every situation/condition.

We are 6 months into giving our 8 R a good beat down and so far so good. We could have released a product the following day but that's not how we roll. Typically we want to see winter and summer. Our UK spec car is in South Africa and we seeing 34C or so these days.

Turbine speed sensor is taken car of :)

1 minute ago, dopper99 said:

This has been out a number of months too so I'd be a bit wary. None of the big tuners have posted anything so that's saying something. 

4 hours ago, Vinniecoup said:

This has been out a number of months too so I'd be a bit wary. None of the big tuners have posted anything so that's saying something. 

That’s because Revo and APR are still locked out. Spoke to Revo a couple of months ago and I know APR are in same boat.

There’s normally a leak / inside info from a factory source to help on gateway access……nothing yet one would assume!

On 16/11/2021 at 17:25, Vinniecoup said:

I'm sure that with DTUK and Co. they just find out which connectors they need and start selling them.  I'd love to actually know if the boxes are the same regardless of make/model, they just change the harness' accordingly. 🤔

Also makes me wince when I hear them being referred to as having 'maps' loaded onto the box.  (I'm referring to the the crude spoofing boxes)

31 minutes ago, Penguin said:

I'm sure that with DTUK and Co. they just find out which connectors they need and start selling them.  I'd love to actually know if the boxes are the same regardless of make/model, they just change the harness' accordingly. 🤔

Also makes me wince when I hear them being referred to as having 'maps' loaded onto the box.  (I'm referring to the the crude spoofing boxes)

I think there’ll be many “tuned” cars running about with the cheapest, easiest  power upgrade available, because a financial necessity.  There seems to be but few “standard” GTI/GTD/Vrs cars about of aged >4 or. 5years driven by younger folk……
I recall once in an A3 TDi 170, “squaring up” against a plain looking older Octavia, steel wheels. Dark blue. …..left me standing.  Humiliated.   Haha.   You never know what people have done to their cars. 

I personally would avoid those cheaper tuning boxes, especially on a £40k+ car. Firstly they make very dubious claims about power increases - they are claiming as high as 375ps for the mk 7r / s3 8v, however when my neighbour fitted one to his s3 is made just 330ps on the MRC dyno. On top of this, they have no control over the boost or rail pressure, the latter can damage injectors.

I did read this post which came out just after the 8R's became available - https://www.tuningblog.eu/en/kategorien/autos-von-a-z/vw-golf-8r-mk8-hgp-338243/

Pretty sure it's clickbait!