Noise after accelerating

Hi, I’ve been noticing for about a week now that when I accelerate from about 2k revs in third gear from about 20mph up to about 3k revs and let off the throttle, I hear a whine noise or like a creak noise, its hard to explain. I thought it was the suspension or chassis noise from the car’s weight coming forward on the chassis/ suspension from the momentum it was carrying as I let off the throttle, but I tried it a lot of times tonight and it happened almost every time. I was wondering if it could be the turbo or some blow off noise? Its when throttle is applied from low revs in a higher gear. Like a big suck in of air as the throttle is applied then once I ease off, the whine or creak noise happens. The 7.5 r did the intake noise but no noise after easing off the throttle.

Anyone know what this could be? Thanks

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had a vw technician out in the car with me today to try and find out what is creating the noise. Once I created the noise once and said hear that? He said yeh like a burble noise? He immediately sai

Next time I use that combination, I’ll have a good listen out.  

@Gazza84  I had the opportunity to try this this morning whilst out and about on work business.  Tried it just as you say above (in both 3rd gear and then tried in 4th gear) multiple times but I can’t

No error codes or anything sinister. Just a very faint creek or pressure release noise that lasts about 1 second. It doesn’t do it when I have high revs in 3rd gear for example and accelerate and ease off the throttle. Only when I am in lower revs and put the foot down, engine takes a big gulp of air then I ease off it makes the noise as soon as I ease off. It sounds like the cars suspension creeking as the full weight goes back on it after accelerating or a pressure release. I was hoping to find out if anyone else is hearing this aswell?

Thanks @Booth11 you’ll have to listen pretty hard as it is a tiny creek, woosh🤣🤣 I’ve been watching videos about dump/divert valves on youtube and it sounds like it is this, but it would be nice to know someone else is hearing it aswell in their 8r. Revs at 2k in 3rd or 4th gear then full throttle and feel the boost build to 3k revs then foot off the gas seems to make it happen every time.

3 hours ago, Gazza84 said:

Thanks @Booth11 you’ll have to listen pretty hard as it is a tiny creek, woosh🤣🤣 I’ve been watching videos about dump/divert valves on youtube and it sounds like it is this, but it would be nice to know someone else is hearing it aswell in their 8r. Revs at 2k in 3rd or 4th gear then full throttle and feel the boost build to 3k revs then foot off the gas seems to make it happen every time.

@Gazza84  I had the opportunity to try this this morning whilst out and about on work business.  Tried it just as you say above (in both 3rd gear and then tried in 4th gear) multiple times but I can’t say I heard what you describe.  One time in 4th gear I did hear a sort of ‘crump’ sound which felt like it was the weight of the car shifting when coming off the throttle at 3k revs but only noted it on that one occasion.  Each time, as the revs drop back towards the 2k point there is a slight whine, but that’s present in auto as well as manual.   What I did get several times (in 3rd), at the exact point of coming off throttle at 3k revs, was cracks from the Akra so whether that disguised anything I don’t know but I don’t think so.  Sometimes it would be a single quick subtle exhaust crack, on other occasions multiple noisier cracks.  I’ll have another go next time I’m out in the car.  

1 hour ago, Booth11 said:

@Gazza84  I had the opportunity to try this this morning whilst out and about on work business.  Tried it just as you say above (in both 3rd gear and then tried in 4th gear) multiple times but I can’t say I heard what you describe.  One time in 4th gear I did hear a sort of ‘crump’ sound which felt like it was the weight of the car shifting when coming off the throttle at 3k revs but only noted it on that one occasion.  Each time, as the revs drop back towards the 2k point there is a slight whine, but that’s present in auto as well as manual.   What I did get several times (in 3rd), at the exact point of coming off throttle at 3k revs, was cracks from the Akra so whether that disguised anything I don’t know but I don’t think so.  Sometimes it would be a single quick subtle exhaust crack, on other occasions multiple noisier cracks.  I’ll have another go next time I’m out in the car.  

Thanks @Booth11, I’m not sure you will hear it if the exhaust is popping as I can’t hear it when mine pops. As I ease off going from about 20mph to 30ish mph in 3rd from 2k revs I don’t get any pops, so I can hear it each time. In higher revs, lower gear I can’t hear it as it pops. It feels like the air being sucked in because the boost is building from low gear is causing it to need to blow off anfrer the throttle closes. Something like that but I may be wrong and it may be creaky suspension as the weight of the car shifts🤣

13 hours ago, Darlo said:

Mine went in for a suspension noise/creak a couple of weeks ago. Something to with the top mount on the front nearside. Greased and refitted. Now zero issues. However I did hear the noise at low speed up to about 40mph not just in certain modes

What did it sound like @Darlo and what situations would it have made the creek sound? Would it have been something similar to what is happening with my car? Cheers.

1 hour ago, Gazza84 said:

What did it sound like @Darlo and what situations would it have made the creek sound? Would it have been something similar to what is happening with my car? Cheers.

I first noticed it at very low speeds when I made the slight left turn on to my sloped driveway. Then I was noticing it more and more even when I was driving up to maybe 40ish then road noise would drown it out. But it only happened when the car was warm. I don’t recall it being linked to acceleration like you describe, more to the camber on the road.

I ended up taking the mechanic from VW out in it to highlight the problem as they didn’t hear it when I took it in first time. 

Can you tape it (or video) and put it up here ?
Sound is a very tricky thing to explain with word

I don’t have a 8R but did have a squeak coming from the back for nearly a full year until I found out where it came from (how can I upload or send a video ?).
I had to figure it out myself, as the dealer couldn’t find anything, and told me to wait until it gets worse, finally I told them where to listen and they did hear it, and fixed it).

It was the exhaust valve on the left side.
When you go off the pedal in the sporty modes (dynamic for me) the flap closes to give you the pops/bangs, and when one is not right it can squeak. If that’s your case, it should happen in race mode as well, and can be made audible when softly pressing the gas and releasing before the turbo spools up (at near stand still).

4 minutes ago, AHG said:

Can you tape it (or video) and put it up here ?
Sound is a very tricky thing to explain with word

I don’t have a 8R but did have a squeak coming from the back for nearly a full year until I found out where it came from (how can I upload or send a video ?).
I had to figure it out myself, as the dealer couldn’t find anything, and told me to wait until it gets worse, finally I told them where to listen and they did hear it, and fixed it).

It was the exhaust valve in the left side.
When you go off the pedal in the sporty modes (dynamic for me) the flap closes to give you the pops/bangs, and when one is not right it can squeak. If that’s your case, it should happen in race mode as well, and can be made audible when softly pressing the gas and releasing before the turbo spools up (at near stand still).

A few years back a member in here had the same thing with their mk7 exhaust flaps, they had squeaky flaps!  There’s a thread and video somewhere in some distant thread.  

Re uploading video, you need to use a video hosting site such as YouTube, Vimeo etc. I’m afraid you can’t upload videos direct from computer or mobile.  

I had a vw technician out in the car with me today to try and find out what is creating the noise. Once I created the noise once and said hear that? He said yeh like a burble noise? He immediately said oh thats normal, its the turbo. 
I confirmed it by doing it a few times more and asking is it not the suspension and he said it wouldn’t be that. Once I said I never heard it on the 7.5r, he said oh don’t think its the same car even though its an r, it’ll differ a lot. I suppose it does have a new turbo. 
oh well, I guess that solves it🤣