Hello all - new 7.5 owner from North wales borders

Not a newcomer to golfs - having owned a couple of R32's over the years which i enjoyed immensely and after around 7 years just one day around a year or so ago woke up and fancied a change, so advertised my 58 plate loaded DPB car and it sold way too quickly (perhaps undervalued it)
I have always loved the 3.2 and DSG combo after getting my first taste in a Mk1 TT, granted not the fastest things in the world, but they sound lovely and are not even offensive to fuel. 

However i can tell what was offensive to fuel - i had a short spell in a TTS which after 5 months i was done with. Yes it was quick when the planets aligned but i never felt the 2.0 and DSG were that well suited and it felt like the car was always either in the wrong gear or just changing down too soon relying on revs over grunt which of course is where the old 3.2 worked well. 

So taking the plunge on a 17 plate red 7.5 2 door with some nice extras like sunroof and leather and other bits.

So why the red ? first choice was certainly the blue, but with all respect, the blue seems to attract a little too much attn from kids in other cars looking for a challenge, or parked on the driveway or office car park it is obvious what the car is just from its colour. 
I felt the red is a little more subtle and works equally as well with the black accents. 
The other thing was wheels. I am a bit old school and like silver wheels period. Black wheels for me always smack of poverty rattle paint job to cover the scuffs. Obviously that's a bit of a sweeping statement, not all look tacky, some look great but over all for me personally silver is my preferred option. 
Same for size, i am quite comfortable (literally) on the 18" wheels too and hunted for a car with these taking priority over the more desirable 19" options.

I see i am back to the £550+ a year road tax bracket - hey ho, oddly the insurance is very affordable even for me at my ripe old age which more than makes up for it. 

So on the edge of Cheshire and north wales border commuting to Chester, lets see how i get on with the R and if it gets the long term thumbs up and ends up being a keeper and easy to live with. 

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hope you enjoy it mate, I’m sure you will had mine for 6 months and it’s a great all round car doing everything well, even commuting should be a decnt experience.    Nice touch with the Red too

Hello and welcome to VWROC.     The incoming red 7.5 R sounds a lovely car and we’ll specced, the tornado red really suits the 7.5.  I hope the car lives up to expectations and yo

Hi there and welcome. Glad you’ve found one that suits…hope you enjoy it.  Plenty on here to help you improve it in your preferred direction if you don’t.  I will be surprised if you don’t find lots

2 minutes ago, TheGent said:

Not a newcomer to golfs - having owned a couple of R32's over the years which i enjoyed immensely and after around 7 years just one day around a year or so ago woke up and fancied a change, so advertised my 58 plate loaded DPB car and it sold way too quickly (perhaps undervalued it)
I have always loved the 3.2 and DSG combo after getting my first taste in a Mk1 TT, granted not the fastest things in the world, but they sound lovely and are not even offensive to fuel. 

However i can tell what was offensive to fuel - i had a short spell in a TTS which after 5 months i was done with. Yes it was quick when the planets aligned but i never felt the 2.0 and DSG were that well suited and it felt like the car was always either in the wrong gear or just changing down too soon relying on revs over grunt which of course is where the old 3.2 worked well. 

So taking the plunge on a 17 plate red 7.5 2 door with some nice extras like sunroof and leather and other bits.

So why the red ? first choice was certainly the blue, but with all respect, the blue seems to attract a little too much attn from kids in other cars looking for a challenge, or parked on the driveway or office car park it is obvious what the car is just from its colour. 
I felt the red is a little more subtle and works equally as well with the black accents. 
The other thing was wheels. I am a bit old school and like silver wheels period. Black wheels for me always smack of poverty rattle paint job to cover the scuffs. Obviously that's a bit of a sweeping statement, not all look tacky, some look great but over all for me personally silver is my preferred option. 
Same for size, i am quite comfortable (literally) on the 18" wheels too and hunted for a car with these taking priority over the more desirable 19" options.

I see i am back to the £550+ a year road tax bracket - hey ho, oddly the insurance is very affordable even for me at my ripe old age which more than makes up for it. 

So on the edge of Cheshire and north wales border commuting to Chester, lets see how i get on with the R and if it gets the long term thumbs up and ends up being a keeper and easy to live with. 

Hope you enjoy it mate, I’m sure you will had mine for 6 months and it’s a great all round car doing everything well, even commuting should be a decnt experience. 

Nice touch with the Red too, don’t think I’ve ever seen a red 7.5 on the roads around here. 

15 hours ago, TheGent said:

if it gets the long term thumbs up and ends up being a keeper and easy to live with. 

Hi there and welcome. Glad you’ve found one that suits…hope you enjoy it.  Plenty on here to help you improve it in your preferred direction if you don’t. 
I will be surprised if you don’t find lots to like about your R as an all rounder, do everything, any day, any weather driver.   Good luck, and hope to hear all about your findings and verdict. 

Cheers all for the welcome
just to clear up, i know i dissed the TTS but i felt that was more aimed at the Audis S Tronic mapping compared to the VW mapping if that makes sense.

I had previously owned a standard TT 2.0 TFSI manual same as the golf GTI and it was epic, it was light, revvy and great fun a proper drivers car and would often easily return 40+ mpg with ease. 
The TTS i felt was not worth twice the price as the more basic car - and actually lost something in the driving dynamics along the way. 
Sure the TTS was loads quicker once all spooled up, but the handling suffered and was less fun on normal typical pot holed roads. 
The final straw was the constant changing its mind from the DSG box and even after 5 months i couldn't forgive it for being a bit stupid. There were no faults with it, i just felt it never suited the 2.0 engine that well compared to the lazier 3.2

I am sure this Golf will be another level again and no concern - if it is then it will either get remapped to how i want it to change gear or sold. 

I know doing a recalibration with VagCom helps settle things and as the car has done nearly 30k i will be doing a DSG oil and filter right away too - this i find makes a significant difference especially in winter months and cold shifts until warm and less likely to hold its gears for what feels like an age.

anyway that said and done i can assure you it will NOT be anyway near as primitive as the Auto box in my new Transit Custom - now that is a proper old school agricultural box and is not suited to anyone with half an ounce of mechanical sympathy. it really is rubbish lol 

I will post pics once i get it.

Quick question before i go digging, what is the road tax status on a June 2017 car ? mixed reports here of £155 or £560 (having flashbacks to my old R32 tax pricing wise) 

Cheers

15 hours ago, TheGent said:

Quick question before i go digging, what is the road tax status on a June 2017 car ? mixed reports here of £155 or £560 (having flashbacks to my old R32 tax pricing wise) 

The Road Tax thing is for cars registered after 1 April 2017.   Your Reg. is the easiest way to check.

it’ll be £155 pa as long as the original List purchase price was Below £40k. Think you’d have to have a very highly decorated Xmas tree to have hit this. Not impossible tho….but not sure.

2 hours ago, NRW said:

The Road Tax thing is for cars registered after 1 April 2017.   Your Reg. is the easiest way to check.

it’ll be £155 pa as long as the original List purchase price was Below £40k. Think you’d have to have a very highly decorated Xmas tree to have hit this. Not impossible tho….but not sure.

I never thought of my R being a highly decorated Christmas tree 😀 I am in the high tax bracket until the four year mark which is in Oct next year😳

1 hour ago, VR6 South said:

I never thought of my R being a highly decorated Christmas tree 😀 I am in the high tax bracket until the four year mark which is in Oct next year😳

Lots of Baubles and adornments - that’s how the dealer referred to mine at point of ordering.👍   you’ll just have to make sure you enjoy ALL that optional kit to the full.😀

5 hours ago, NRW said:

Lots of Baubles and adornments - that’s how the dealer referred to mine at point of ordering.👍   you’ll just have to make sure you enjoy ALL that optional kit to the full.😀

I think the only box which wasn’t ticked was an Akra exhaust. Shame!