The most over priced Mark 8 Golf R in the UK (And it's standard!)

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Absolutely incredible! Not even new (ex Demo) and no options that I can see. Yours for £1 under 60 Grand!! 😬 Surrey prices     https://www.lookers.co.uk/nearly-new-car/volkswagen/golf/2

Well having sat in the new RS3 launch edition recently for sale at….£70k 🤔🤔 now sold BTW I was surprised at the dip in quality compared to the previous Gen. There are some nice touches but there’s ple

Yeah it’s not a pretty part of the car for sure, but on a practical note, the spring loaded holder works well.  And it has its own courtesy light.  You’ve got to take what positives you can get. 😂. An

Posted Images

1 hour ago, dopper99 said:

Autotrader generally put an indicator like this example so you get an idea on whether its a good deal:

image.png.de01691c4566545e5bf1e2ade57d1c26.png

Notice the indicator is missing for those very expensive Golf R's on Autotrader. 🤣

I wonder why! 😄

Haha, it would need another 180° degrees of poor price span to be near accurate.  😄

28 minutes ago, NRW said:

Don’t be so down hearted…if it all works when you get it , then £35k will sound a very canny price.

I think it all stems from my disappointment when driving a mk8 loaner. It just felt cheap, the boot lid slams shut in a tinny light weight feeling, even the doors close without the nice sounding clunk. I hunted for the mirror switch on the doors in the dark and all the plastic felt really poor quality. My dads mk4 Skoda Octavia feels like better quality. Maybe just the waiting for it blues…

17 minutes ago, TechieAli said:

I think it all stems from my disappointment when driving a mk8 loaner. It just felt cheap, the boot lid slams shut in a tinny light weight feeling, even the doors close without the nice sounding clunk. I hunted for the mirror switch on the doors in the dark and all the plastic felt really poor quality. My dads mk4 Skoda Octavia feels like better quality. Maybe just the waiting for it blues…

To be expected with the huge emissions fines VW received. 

One thing that really hit me was the poor rear quality of the 7.5 it’s a nice place to be for driver & passenger but when sat in the back it feels so cheap, then things like the gas struts for the boot add to that - it’s not the end of the world and ‘just the way it is’ now but it was a sour point for me.  

32 minutes ago, TechieAli said:

It’s a weird one, but at first on getting into a Golf 8 you really notice the things you mention above and it is a initial disappointment in some interior areas. I remember noticing straight off that the doors didn’t quite make that hearty Golf ‘thunk’ but a less reassuring sound, and the centre console and door cards were a bit of a shock…..but fast forward a few weeks and suddenly, with familiarity, you stop seeing them like that first experience, there’s an acceptance of the new Golf 8 status quo and comparisons fade.  That doesn’t change the fact that there’s a drop in interior quality, but you do start to appreciate that’s it’s a different offering and before you know it it feels appropriate for the car.  And then there’s the areas where the money hasn’t been pinched and delivers a brilliant driving experience, that’s worth a lot! Maybe you’ll feel differently but keep your chin up as there’s much to like.  

On 24/11/2021 at 19:32, Booth11 said:

It’s a weird one, but at first on getting into a Golf 8 you really notice the things you mention above and it is a initial disappointment in some interior areas. I remember noticing straight off that the doors didn’t quite make that hearty Golf ‘thunk’ but a less reassuring sound, and the centre console and door cards were a bit of a shock…..but fast forward a few weeks and suddenly, with familiarity, you stop seeing them like that first experience, there’s an acceptance of the new Golf 8 status quo and comparisons fade.  That doesn’t change the fact that there’s a drop in interior quality, but you do start to appreciate that’s it’s a different offering and before you know it it feels appropriate for the car.  And then there’s the areas where the money hasn’t been pinched and delivers a brilliant driving experience, that’s worth a lot! Maybe you’ll feel differently but keep your chin up as there’s much to like.  

A lot of things will fade into the background with familiarity.   I had a Hyundai Tucson on holiday last week (not the latest model) and hated it in many ways (other than boot space, which was really good for a small SUV) on day 1, but by day 10 I thought it was OK as a short term family car!

But everyones different, some of the things @TechieAli pointed out would continue to annoy me.   Nearly 2 years on, the unexpectedly lightweight exterior door handles on my car still regularly disappoint me.   They're better than the 7.5 Golf, but that's a lot cheaper car and they stand out amongst everything else which is so solid.   Closing the doors annoys me on the R every single time, but that's after 2 cars / nearly 5 years with soft close doors!

On 24/11/2021 at 19:32, Booth11 said:

Completely agree. 

In some areas the M8R feels like it's regressed slightly (it does feel more plastic in some places) but then in other areas they've upped the quality considerably.