Trackslag 4" downpipe

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm 99% sure(ish) that @Bowen had a TrackSlag 4" DP fitted by Devil Developments when he got his L380X fitted, could be wrong but hopefully he'll be able to confirm either way... 

New for 2022, Powervalve are now offering 90mm Downpipes as part of the new FLOW90 range for the VAG MQB platform. Collectors are ceramic coated for thermal efficiency. Cheers  Nige

Lower EGT with the 4” slag and has been shown to improve spool by a few hundred rpm, especially on larger than stock turbos, catted or not.  Cat is downstream from stock position.    

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • I'm using a catted Trackslag with my IS38 GTI.
  • It made the exhaust slightly quieter than the 3" downpipe (200 cpi) I was using before which I was pleasantly surprised by.
  • Performance differences have been minimal, but measured boost onset and acceleration time improved very slightly with the Trackslag, though I doubt a driver would be able to detect the difference.
  • I don't understand how the downpipe would help to keep the turbo cooler.

Just thought i'd throw my 2cents in from what i've read;

Seems to be a common theme with the early IS38 turbos snapping shafts due to low RPM overboosting and WOT flutter.

The IS38 has an eager spool curve to try combat turbo lag by spooling as early as possible, hence why some remaps cause increased turbo flutter when on power at lower RPMs.

The earlier spool time that the 4" brings may be detrimental when trying to combat this however, this should be fine, if not beneficial, on aftermarket larger turbos.

I was aiming for a Trackslag when pricing up for stage 2 but was steered away from it by almost every "premade map" tuner as their software wasn't designed for "abnormal hardware".

Happy to be proven incorrect, just voicing what research i've read

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/01/2022 at 05:18, TCSquirrel said:

Just thought i'd throw my 2cents in from what i've read;

Seems to be a common theme with the early IS38 turbos snapping shafts due to low RPM overboosting and WOT flutter.

The IS38 has an eager spool curve to try combat turbo lag by spooling as early as possible, hence why some remaps cause increased turbo flutter when on power at lower RPMs.

The earlier spool time that the 4" brings may be detrimental when trying to combat this however, this should be fine, if not beneficial, on aftermarket larger turbos.

I was aiming for a Trackslag when pricing up for stage 2 but was steered away from it by almost every "premade map" tuner as their software wasn't designed for "abnormal hardware".

Happy to be proven incorrect, just voicing what research i've read

I doubt the 4" pipe at the turbo outlet does much on a downpipe with a catalytic converter.
The difference I have measured in boost onset is very minor versus a more typical downpipe.

http://mygolfmk7.com/2021/11/trackslag-vs-arm-downpipe-boost-onset/

• 2 weeks later...

My pal runs one on the same turbo I have venom 550 and he noticed a nice increase in spool time, but that is probably mostly down to venoms architecture, noise is another factor, I was debating getting one as I've now silencer my car and it sounds not far off stock

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk