DSG Servicing explained

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wanted this to be seen by as many owners as possible.  If you’re in any doubt about bringing your 7sp DSG Service forward, to before recommended, please watch this.       

@TheBlondeFella @NRW  My understanding is that DSG service is 40k miles for 6 speed and 80k miles for 7 speed.  That’s been widely acknowledged for years, and I don’t think there’s been any change.  

2053!  You’ll have been driving a toaster for 30 years by then. 😂 

Thanks for the video - although the cynic in me is the scottish guy is a distributer of said machine, so of course its wondeful, and at around 500 - 600 per time, no way would I be changing the oil in the gearbox as frequent as the engine oil.

I'm no expert in the slightest, but I would think maybe this once every 5 years would possibly be a good shout? I mean VW just changing the oil is every 60k miles? (might be wrong), with me doing about 8 - 10k miles a year, think the 5 year mark would be a good shout (in full drain etc).

Or maybe I should just sell my r as its too complicated! 😁

2 hours ago, TheBlondeFella said:

Does this apply to the 6 speed box as well?

2 hours ago, TheBlondeFella said:

Does this apply to the 6 speed box as well?

It caught my attention because the recommended interval for the 7sp DSG is, IIRC, 70k or greater amount.   Think I’ll be getting mine done at 4years - but I’m doing ultra low miles.    The idea of such a crucial a lubricant in situ for 7 years offends my delicate sensibilities. 😂😂
The 7 sp is a development of the earlier 6, so to my thinking an earlier than recommended DSG fluid change can’t do any harm, only good.  It won’t break the bank - VW Fixed price of £199 quoted for this.   In the past when I’ve had a DSG service (6sp, used to be scheduled for 4years/40k miles) there’s been a notable improvement in shift quality, quietness - but same not noted by others.  Fresh “oil” can’t harm much.

33 minutes ago, TheBlondeFella said:

I just thought the GSG was mileage specific and serviced at 40K for the 6 speed and not time specific at 4 years.

If its 4 years I would have hoped that VW would have mentioned it at my last service.

@Booth11

Rebecca is always clued up about Intervals and when they are adjusted by VW so maybe can advise. 

@TheBlondeFella @NRW  My understanding is that DSG service is 40k miles for 6 speed and 80k miles for 7 speed.  That’s been widely acknowledged for years, and I don’t think there’s been any change.  

Some people have it done earlier.  I had my mk7 6 speed DSG done at 33k miles (in July 2020) as wanted to get it done early and that was well after my 4th Service (in fact was a month just before it’s 5th service) which it was not flagged up at. 

I stand corrected. 
40000 miles before you need to change your 6sp DSG Fluid stated by VW.  80000 miles for the 7speed DSG. 

It’ll be 2053 when my car hits 80k at current annual mileage, so that Fluid VW use must be something really special.

Think I’ll do mine at year 4 for my own peace of mind😀

5 hours ago, TheBlondeFella said:

I just thought the GSG was mileage specific and serviced at 40K for the 6 speed and not time specific at 4 years.

If its 4 years I would have hoped that VW would have mentioned it at my last service.

My last GTI with 6sp DSG had its DSG Service at year 4 in 2016.   I sold it in 2019 with under 30k miles recorded aged 70 months.  All servicing and related matters were carried out by my preferred VW Dealer, Pulman Durham - but I suspect the DSG was done at my insistence rather than their prompt. 😀