Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello guys just a quick one, I was wondering if anyone has the same problem. I have like a whirring noise anything over 50mph it isn’t that loud on Normal roads but on smooth roads you can hear it more. Took it back to ‘car store’ to be told it’s the rear diff but took it to a vw specialist and he said it’s not the diff because the noise wouldn’t come and go? What could it be? Massively appreciated 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@Leivers98; sawtooth (or cupped) tyre wear on the inside edge of the rear tyres will generate a noise similar to worn wheel bearings that I’d describe as more of a droning rather than a whirring noise

If it disappears and you hear it on smooth roads, I’d say tyres. My R did it at certain speeds and certain road surfaces, namely smooth tarmac. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Leivers98 said:

Hello guys just a quick one, I was wondering if anyone has the same problem. I have like a whirring noise anything over 50mph it isn’t that loud on Normal roads but on smooth roads you can hear it more. Took it back to ‘car store’ to be told it’s the rear diff but took it to a vw specialist and he said it’s not the diff because the noise wouldn’t come and go? What could it be? Massively appreciated 


Welcome along.  Is it a mk7/7.5R? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the independent specialist could tell you what is wasn't (the diff) then could they not have spent a little longer to investigate and tell you what it was? 

 

Always hard to track down noises, especially when on the move.  Have you been able to play around and see what causes it to manifest, e.g certain gears, revs (boost), straight line vs when adding some lock, with the HVAC system on/off etc?  Is it a constant noise or is it intermittent as if it happens when something is reaching a certain point in a rotation? 

 

Might also be worth getting the car scanned to see if anything is throwing an error. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Leivers98; sawtooth (or cupped) tyre wear on the inside edge of the rear tyres will generate a noise similar to worn wheel bearings that I’d describe as more of a droning rather than a whirring noise. It’ll be more apparent at 50 mph and above and probably more noticeable on smooth road surfaces where there’s less other road noises than on ‘normal’ road surfaces.  
 

Easy to check to see if that’s the issue as the tread on the inner edge of the tyre will have worn in a stepped, sawtooth pattern (one edge of each tyre block in the tread will be higher / stepped compared to the edge of the adjacent tyre block) which if you can’t see it, you should be able to feel if you run your hand around the tread. It’s not an uncommon issue on cars with independent rear suspension. You can see it in these pictures;
 

86A38A55-8D8A-4105-9719-A361BE5A2689.jpeg.56be91238c8b197c76ddec14c4497452.jpeg67688818-4633-4FEF-AFCC-F3764BD3CF0B.jpeg.33f7ea2d5ed692665d340fb40d95eeae.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Penguin said:

If the independent specialist could tell you what is wasn't (the diff) then could they not have spent a little longer to investigate and tell you what it was? 

 

Always hard to track down noises, especially when on the move.  Have you been able to play around and see what causes it to manifest, e.g certain gears, revs (boost), straight line vs when adding some lock, with the HVAC system on/off etc?  Is it a constant noise or is it intermittent as if it happens when something is reaching a certain point in a rotation? 

 

Might also be worth getting the car scanned to see if anything is throwing an error. 

Firstly I would like to say thanks for replying it’s massively appreciated. I have re booked it in with the specialist so he can the car to look at in more detail. Literally only happens above 50 on a quiet road in 6th other than that I can’t hear it. It is a constant noise over 50 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, R_wannabe_owner said:

@Leivers98; sawtooth (or cupped) tyre wear on the inside edge of the rear tyres will generate a noise similar to worn wheel bearings that I’d describe as more of a droning rather than a whirring noise. It’ll be more apparent at 50 mph and above and probably more noticeable on smooth road surfaces where there’s less other road noises than on ‘normal’ road surfaces.  
 

Easy to check to see if that’s the issue as the tread on the inner edge of the tyre will have worn in a stepped, sawtooth pattern (one edge of each tyre block in the tread will be higher / stepped compared to the edge of the adjacent tyre block) which if you can’t see it, you should be able to feel if you run your hand around the tread. It’s not an uncommon issue on cars with independent rear suspension. You can see it in these pictures;
 

86A38A55-8D8A-4105-9719-A361BE5A2689.jpeg.56be91238c8b197c76ddec14c4497452.jpeg67688818-4633-4FEF-AFCC-F3764BD3CF0B.jpeg.33f7ea2d5ed692665d340fb40d95eeae.jpeg

Thankyou very much for that reply I will give it a check massively appreciated 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Leivers98 said:

Firstly I would like to say thanks for replying it’s massively appreciated. I have re booked it in with the specialist so he can the car to look at in more detail. Literally only happens above 50 on a quiet road in 6th other than that I can’t hear it. It is a constant noise over 50 

Also scanned the car and no codes came up 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/11/2021 at 07:10, Leivers98 said:

Hello guys just a quick one, I was wondering if anyone has the same problem. I have like a whirring noise anything over 50mph it isn’t that loud on Normal roads but on smooth roads you can hear it more. Took it back to ‘car store’ to be told it’s the rear diff but took it to a vw specialist and he said it’s not the diff because the noise wouldn’t come and go? What could it be? Massively appreciated 

 

Personally I think it is normal. Mine does it and it is noticeable on smooth roads, light throttle even trailing throttle, anything from 25 to 50 mph. Once above that or other noise over rides it. I believe it is to do with the haldex 4wd system probably clutch / pump set up.  The pump operates all the time.  And the input propshaft is running all the time.It seems to be a regularly discussed "feature" of mk 7s using the gen 5 haldex.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fastandy said:

 

Personally I think it is normal. Mine does it and it is noticeable on smooth roads, light throttle even trailing throttle, anything from 25 to 50 mph. Once above that or other noise over rides it. I believe it is to do with the haldex 4wd system probably clutch / pump set up.  The pump operates all the time.  And the input propshaft is running all the time.It seems to be a regularly discussed "feature" of mk 7s using the gen 5 haldex.

Oh really? That’s great news thanks for that really appreciate it

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/11/2021 at 19:19, Leivers98 said:
On 27/11/2021 at 12:34, fastandy said:

 

Personally I think it is normal. Mine does it and it is noticeable on smooth roads, light throttle even trailing throttle, anything from 25 to 50 mph. Once above that or other noise over rides it. I believe it is to do with the haldex 4wd system probably clutch / pump set up.  The pump operates all the time.  And the input propshaft is running all the time.It seems to be a regularly discussed "feature" of mk 7s using the gen 5 haldex.

Oh really? That’s great news thanks for that really appreciate it

Expand  

I have done like 2k miles on it and it hasn’t got no worse or better 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are other noises that are not so "normal" as other posters have referred. Like wheel bearing drone when they are on way out (I had one of those I had to deal with on purchase) or tyre noise hum / drone from wear / bad wheel alignment.

 

But the noise I am referring to is a whirring sort of noise that comes and goes under light normal driving conditions. Especially noticeable on smooth good driving surfaces. It is a little bit similar to the sound of some of the hydraulic under carriage operational noise on aircraft when being operated like following take off or preparing for landing....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Current Donation Goals

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...