• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have just tried fitting this part and, because the jack sits on its side, it's too big for the recess between the false floor and actual floor which has an  approximately 95-100mm height restriction

As usual you have all the info @Booth11 will look into it. Thanks

Will have to get the old mk7 R polystyrene that fitted behind it. Rather than in the wheel.

Posted Images

19 minutes ago, TechieAli said:

Has anyone managed to either get a spare wheel and toolkit for the R? Just been told VW will not sell me one from the parts department as they can’t as it effects the emissions. Looks like ordering one at time of order can’t be done and wasn’t an option.

JeffR on here obtained one from a breakers I think.  See this link https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/38731-what-have-you-bought-for-your-8r/?do=findComment&comment=590141https://www.vwroc.com/forums/topic/38731-what-have-you-bought-for-your-8r/?do=findComment&comment=590141

53 minutes ago, TechieAli said:

Does anyone know or can find out what the actual part number is of the wheel vw would sell you? Is it a 19” space saver? Found a vw dealer that wants £585 for the lot. Does the old mk7 one fit over the front brakes?

Even with factory fit 19s, spacesavers are usually 18”. That was the case on the 7/7.5.   For the mk8, it would just have to go on the rear on the as the front brakes are bigger than previous gen.  

As mentioned the whole spare wheel "set" from a 7.5 R will fit. In fact if you are prepared to do a rear to front swap if you get a front puncture then the spare wheel from lesser 7.5's might do the job on the rear (see below though.) 

Some Caveats:

The temporary spare needs the exact same rolling radius or tyre circumference as the wheel it replaces on the R else you'll play havoc with the 4WD system and might even damage it.

While what the dealer said is BS there is a reason why VW have not offered a spare with the car. I suspect it's the foregoing. After all VW love charging for extras! 

Some options here: Golf Car Spare Wheels for sale | eBay

Note:  you'll need that big bolt thing for the middle of the spare wheel or the whole lot can become a projectile in an accident. 

Our car has the fitting in the boot floor under the carpet so fitting a genuine kit from a Mk 7.5 should be easy but do check you have the right size (rolling radius) of spare. This might rule out those who use 19 inch rims.

In the GTI 8 here you get a spare tyre (see pic below), and it is the same size as the previous Gen S3, even if you got a 19” with the car. So I tend to believe it should be fine for the 8R as it comes standard with the same size wheels as the GTI (either 225/40/18 or 235/35/19).

2a10f1e1e425b41b676469a704815ec1.jpg

My only problem here is to get the polystyrene piece, as import and shipping would be expensive (huge package) and it could break on the way, so I have to wait for a totaled GTI or S3 to come in.

Hopefully since I have ordered Harmon Kardon it will have the bolt thing to hold it down. I suspect the brakes are too big at the front for them to sell a spare wheel with the car.( or the emissions go too high). I have been looking for 2nd hand and found some suitable options. Was just interested in someone with access to the parts catalogue thing wether it was an actual option that was a 19” space saver, there are some on eBay for Audis etc, obviously it has to be the same rolling radius for it to work. But thanks for all the comments so far, one day my new R will arrive.

29 minutes ago, TechieAli said:

Hopefully since I have ordered Harmon Kardon it will have the bolt thing to hold it down. I suspect the brakes are too big at the front for them to sell a spare wheel with the car.( or the emissions go too high). I have been looking for 2nd hand and found some suitable options. Was just interested in someone with access to the parts catalogue thing wether it was an actual option that was a 19” space saver, there are some on eBay for Audis etc, obviously it has to be the same rolling radius for it to work. But thanks for all the comments so far, one day my new R will arrive.

Though the wheel will fit, I don’t think that you can fit a polystyrene insert with tools in if you have HK. 

This is what I am looking for (not the in-wheel one)
I think [mention=18060]TechieAli[/mention] is talking about the same thing

Many offer it on eBay or at ECS, but no once in my geography, so I fear the overseas shipping will wreck it (and be expensive as hell).

758e843ee68c9a173443fd1fc9ad21a0.jpg

On 30/11/2021 at 19:42, Booth11 said:

Though the wheel will fit, I don’t think that you can fit a polystyrene insert with tools in if you have HK. 

I have purchased a 18" spare wheel and the toolkit which fits outside the wheel (two polystyrene  corners). 

The HK sub fits perfectly within the spare wheel but the connecting wiring loom fed through the rear panel is not long enough to reach the sub when it's in that position. Typical, I should have properly researched this beforehand 😄

So I now need to find a way of extending the loom. My preference is to use the same  male and female connectors to create a bridge rather than cutting the loom.

21 minutes ago, Scudgie said:

I have purchased a 18" spare wheel and the toolkit which fits outside the wheel (two polystyrene  corners). 

The HK sub fits perfectly within the spare wheel but the connecting wiring loom fed through the rear panel is not long enough to reach the sub when it's in that position. Typical, I should have properly researched this beforehand 😄

So I now need to find a way of extending the loom. My preference is to use the same  male and female connectors to create a bridge rather than cutting the loom.

Interesting I will have the same problem later on I expect. My folks managed to get this off eBay. With my help.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VW-GOLF-Mk7-2014-2020-TOOLKIT-SET-JACK-WHEEL-SPANNER-TOWING-EYE-HOUSING-/384417854195?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=EGmfw7wEel6y4S%2FYl4POhaluwR0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

I did have luck before getting wires and connectors from VW which are classed as repair wires for a previous lighting mod in a Bora years ago.. It’s possible a very patient parts person can figure out what they are. The hardest one would be female connector that’s on the sub.